Should I update my Windows 10 version into Windows 10 version 1903?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 13,301
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 21H2 19044.1526
       #11

    Abdul Karim K said:
    Okay, I have updated my Windows 10 from version 1803 to version 1903 and none of my data and file is missing or erased.

    Welcome to the 1903 club

    By the way, 1903 runs well on all my older computers.
    I have a acer netbook 722 (a workhorse) which I have no trouble with.
    Last edited by thomaseg1; 10 Sep 2019 at 21:31.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 35,581
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #12

    Now you should make it a priority to create a base disk image using e.g. Macrium reflect (free) and start using disk imaging regularly. then you can often recover from problems without tech help relatively quickly- and have a full backup.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 7,134
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #13

    dalchina said:
    Now you should make it a priority to create a base disk image using e.g. Macrium reflect (free) and start using disk imaging regularly. then you can often recover from problems without tech help relatively quickly- and have a full backup.
    I have 2 laptops set to do scheduled Reflect backups. One laptop has a second installed SSD for backups, the other has a separate partition for backups on the single SSD (not ideal). Both laptops are also manually backed up to an external USB drive.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,604
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       #14

    Abdul Karim K said:
    Okay, I have updated my Windows 10 from version 1803 to version 1903 and none of my data and file is missing or erased.
    type winver.exe in the Run dialog box (click on the Start button, expand the Windows System folder and click on Run) to show the build number of the 1903 version on your computer, Abdul.

    you might be getting either build 18362.329 or build 18362.356, which are the updated 1903 versions
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #15

    erpster4 said:
    type winver.exe in the Run dialog box (click on the Start button, expand the Windows System folder and click on Run) to show the build number of the 1903 version on your computer, Abdul.

    you might be getting either build 18362.329 or build 18362.356, which are the updated 1903 versions
    Okay, I'm already typed winver in Run dialog box and I see build 18362.356. Here the screenshot.
    Should I update my Windows 10 version into Windows 10 version 1903?-winver.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 40
    win 7
       #16

    Thanks for the posts.
    I just got the same message and searched for the answers in this thread. I went ahead and updated WIN 10 Home from 1803 to 1903 without incident. I was on a homebuilt desktop with an i7-8700k, 16 gig memory, and 250Gb Samsung SSD. The entire update process took only 7 minutes. As far as I can tell all necessary update files were already residing on my computer and it was just asking me when I wanted to install them. All seems fine.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1
    windows 10 Pro 64 bits
       #17

    Abdul Karim K said:
    Do you want to say that my data and file will be erased after update?
    Don't worry.
    The worse would be you cannot connect to your windows account, then lose access to files under C:\users\home because windows decided to create a temporary user account on logon instead of home.
    Your old home directory still exist but might be unreadable if you are not an admin user. (must have directory browse rigths, admin user can force it)
    In that case, create an admin account named guest, disconnect, logon as guest, be sure to delete temp user folder, rename the old home as home.old; create a local account home; disconnect, logon as home.
    Check all custom folders a created , then move old document, pictures... folders to the new user folder.
    Then attached your Microsoft account to this Windows local account.

    I woud suggest you put those folders in a secondary disk, then create symlinks in user folder.
    That could be safer in case you make a clean install from DVD.

    After that, you may have to set ui settings manually again, re-install old windows apps.

    - - - Updated - - -

    poolmon said:
    Thanks for the posts.
    I just got the same message and searched for the answers in this thread. I went ahead and updated WIN 10 Home from 1803 to 1903 without incident. I was on a homebuilt desktop with an i7-8700k, 16 gig memory, and 250Gb Samsung SSD. The entire update process took only 7 minutes. As far as I can tell all necessary update files were already residing on my computer and it was just asking me when I wanted to install them. All seems fine.
    It took me 2 hours since beginning of full windows 1903 files download to the end of installation, then logon.
    I first cleaned the catroot2 folder to force update from 1803 to 1903 version.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #18

    skyrail said:
    Don't worry.
    The worse would be you cannot connect to your windows account, then lose access to files under C:\users\home because windows decided to create a temporary user account on logon instead of home.
    Your old home directory still exist but might be unreadable if you are not an admin user. (must have directory browse rigths, admin user can force it)
    In that case, create an admin account named guest, disconnect, logon as guest, be sure to delete temp user folder, rename the old home as home.old; create a local account home; disconnect, logon as home.
    Check all custom folders a created , then move old document, pictures... folders to the new user folder.
    Then attached your Microsoft account to this Windows local account.

    I woud suggest you put those folders in a secondary disk, then create symlinks in user folder.
    That could be safer in case you make a clean install from DVD.

    After that, you may have to set ui settings manually again, re-install old windows apps.

    - - - Updated - - -



    It took me 2 hours since beginning of full windows 1903 files download to the end of installation, then logon.
    I first cleaned the catroot2 folder to force update from 1803 to 1903 version.
    The update on my laptop took me more than 2 hours and done at 02.30. I'm begin my update at 18.00
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums