Windows 10 Activation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    windows 7 home premium
       #1

    Windows 10 Activation


    I downloaded Windows 10 Home from microsoft onto a USB stick and installed on a new build. Now I want to activate it, but the Microsoft store license is expensive. If I buy a Windows 10 Home OEM DVD, can I use that product key to activate with. Thanks.
      My Computer

  2. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,503
    Windows 10 Pro
       #2

    @bluestringer,

    A System Builder's Windows 10 Home OEM DVD product key will activate an installation of Windows 10 Home. However, it violates the Microsoft System Builder's License for you to use it on your own personal computer:
    Communication page | Windows system builder licensing for personal use
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       #3

    There is a key with every DVD bought from local store or online. You can use that key and activate your windows 10.
      My Computer

  4. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,010
    Windows10
       #4

    NavyLCDR said:
    @bluestringer,

    A System Builder's Windows 10 Home OEM DVD product key will activate an installation of Windows 10 Home. However, it violates the Microsoft System Builder's License for you to use it on your own personal computer:
    Communication page | Windows system builder licensing for personal use
    This argument has gone on for many years right back to Windows 7 at least.

    It is not that legally well defined what a system builder is. That is why sellers bundle a licence with an old hard drive (which does not even have to be working). That article does not constitute a legal definition.

    Anyway, MS have never made any attempts to stop users using oem licences unless same key gets used multiple times, or used on different devices.
      My Computer

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,007
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #5

    cereberus said:
    It is not that legally well defined what a system builder is.
    If the OP has built the PC, they are a system builder.
      My Computer

  6. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,010
    Windows10
       #6

    Matthew Wai said:
    If the OP has built the PC, they are a system builder.
    Yeah but my point is that a person who changes a drive or adds memory could be considered to be a system builder.
      My Computer

  7. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,503
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    I'm sorry, I just don't see what can be confusing about Microsoft's first paragraph:

    If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system (OS)*in a virtual machine, you will have*to purchase a full version of Windows 10, available in FPP. Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 system builder software does not permit personal use and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.

    But no, Microsoft does not enforce it.
      My Computer

  8. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,325
       #8

    NavyLCDR said:
    I'm sorry, I just don't see what can be confusing about Microsoft's first paragraph:

    If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system (OS)*in a virtual machine, you will have*to purchase a full version of Windows 10, available in FPP. Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 system builder software does not permit personal use and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.

    But no, Microsoft does not enforce it.
    Yup, I recall we discussed this at Eight Forums back then, when the personal use clause came into effect.

    It's a good thing IMHO, whether it's enforced or not, we have the moral obligation to adhere... albeit Windows FPP is way overpriced given the monetization built into it... but that does not deter from the EULA.

    Besides, with full retail you get tranferability and such...
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 10
    windows 7 home premium
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thanks for the answers. I've been building PC's for friends and family for a few years and I always use the OEM version. I give them the DVD to go along with the build. I've just never built one and installed Windows from a download put on a USB stick. I'll get a DVD and use it for activation and supply it with the build. Thanks.
      My Computer

  10. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,503
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    bluestringer said:
    Thanks for the answers. I've been building PC's for friends and family for a few years and I always use the OEM version. I give them the DVD to go along with the build. I've just never built one and installed Windows from a download put on a USB stick. I'll get a DVD and use it for activation and supply it with the build. Thanks.
    There is no difference at all in the install using a USB flash drive or a DVD. Well, except the installation from the USB flash drive will go much faster than from a DVD.

    Yes, you can activate an installed Windows 10 with a purchased OEM product key that comes with the DVD. It does not matter what the source of the installation was, DVD or USB flash drive.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums