Need some help trying to activate Windows 10 etc.!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #1

    Need some help trying to activate Windows 10 etc.!


    Alright, so the other day I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. I reserved a copy of Windows 10 and was notified when the update was ready. I upgraded and everything was fine and dandy, but I didn't like Windows 10 much at first so I reverted back to Windows 8.1. When I went back to 8.1 I immediately regretted the decision and wanted 10 back. I thought that since I'd already used the free upgrade there was no way back, so I downloaded the media creation tool for Windows 10 and loaded that to a USB and tried that method. Once I got to the part where I had to enter a product key I was stuck, I didn't have a key... so I tried using my windows 8.1 key, that didn't work. I found this key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and it worked, I installed Windows 10.... But what I didn't realize was that Windows 10 wasn't activated and that the product key was blocked, and it said my version of windows wasn't a genuine version and that I'd have to buy a key. I mean yeah Windows 10 works alright but I would prefer for it to be activated. Is there any way I can activate it? Also I can't even go back to Windows 8.1 again in the recovery menu to try reserve a free copy again using 8.1. I'm really not sure what to do. Is there any other way to get back to 8.1 to get a genuine upgrade of Windows 10 again? Thanks in advance.
      My Computer

  2. teachermark's Avatar
    Posts : 219
    10 (Free upgrade)
       #2

    Do a clean install from the disc and skip the part that asks you to enter the key.

    You have already installed Windows 10 and activated it, so Microsoft will have your activation ID on it's servers.

    Activation will happen automatically this time. No key required.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    teachermark said:
    Do a clean install from the disc and skip the part that asks you to enter the key.

    You have already installed Windows 10 and activated it, so Microsoft will have your activation ID on it's servers.

    Activation will happen automatically this time. No key required.
    I've tried clean installing windows 10 again but there is no option to skip the product key part.
      My Computer

  4. teachermark's Avatar
    Posts : 219
    10 (Free upgrade)
       #4

    Try again.
    It's very small and you may have missed it.
    Look on the bottom of the screen.
      My Computer

  5. Mystere's Avatar
    Posts : 3,256
    Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    Make sure you are installing the correct version as well. You need to re-install the same version you upgrade to. If that was home, then install home. If that was pro, install pro.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    teachermark said:
    Try again.
    It's very small and you may have missed it.
    Look on the bottom of the screen.
    Okay cool, I'm currently clean installing again
      My Computer

  7. teachermark's Avatar
    Posts : 219
    10 (Free upgrade)
       #7

    Good luck. Let us know how it goes... :)
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    teachermark said:
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes... :)
    Though I'm not really sure what my version of windows 10 was when I got the free upgrade. I had Windows 8.1 OEM before I upgraded.
      My Computer

  9. teachermark's Avatar
    Posts : 219
    10 (Free upgrade)
       #9

    This could be tricky.
    I'm guessing that you had Windows 8.1 Home before and that you downloaded the same version of Windows with the media creation tool.
    If your installation doesn't work then download and install the 'Pro' version of Windows 10.

    Also - for the clean install are you booting directly into the USB device (
    you should be) or installing the upgrade/install AFTER you boot into Windows?

    The clean install works best when you boot into the USB stick and begin the process from there.
    This will (99%) mean that you have to enter the BIOS of your system to change the boot order.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    teachermark said:
    This could be tricky.
    I'm guessing that you had Windows 8.1 Home before and that you downloaded the same version of Windows with the media creation tool.
    If your installation doesn't work then download and install the 'Pro' version of Windows 10.

    Also - for the clean install are you booting directly into the USB device (
    you should be) or installing the upgrade/install AFTER you boot into Windows?

    The clean install works best when you boot into the USB stick and begin the process from there.
    This will (99%) mean that you have to enter the BIOS of your system to change the boot order.
    Is there a tutorial I could follow because maybe i'm not clean installing right.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums