An open letter to Microsoft management re: Windows updating

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #11

    Try3 said: View Post
    "ISO software standards" means a set of quality standards. We commonly use the term ISO files for the files that you refer to but @Steve C was using the term in its original sense.

    Denis
    See here https://www.iso.org/standard/35733.html

    I'm still none the wiser what software quality standards MS has been accredited for and whether MS is capable of working to such standards.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    #12

    All in all, it's pretty pitiful when an "important" release like 1803 can't even install after being out for months. I have disabled Windows Update service because I just might do a restart one day and bam! There goes the 1803 update downloading! I have Windows Update set to inform me before download or install in the gp editor. But twice the thing has overridden my settings and downloaded anyway only to roll back, once again. I'll wait for the next one I guess.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 963
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #13

    TexasBandit said: View Post
    All in all, it's pretty pitiful when an "important" release like 1803 can't even install after being out for months. I have disabled Windows Update service because I just might do a restart one day and bam! There goes the 1803 update downloading! I have Windows Update set to inform me before download or install in the gp editor. But twice the thing has overridden my settings and downloaded anyway only to roll back, once again. I'll wait for the next one I guess.
    I had this issue, well my computer would only install to about 20%, I was able to repair my 1709 computer using DISM Tools and it finally installed? Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,515
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #14

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Windows Insiders are the test monkeys.
    I think that one thing the Insider program is particularly bad at testing is Windows Updates.

    It's a while since I've run an Insider build but my impression was always that a lot of insiders were avidly waiting for the next build, and would intentionally grab each update as soon as it was available.

    Insiders will also be more likely than average users to have gone through the Settings page to tailor Active Hours, Notifications etc. around Updates.

    Whereas for most W10 users in the wider world, the Update process is an unexpected event which often catches them by surprise at some inconvenient moment when they least expect it.

    Notifications are getting better but for those users who don't know how to set Active Hours etc., updates can still be a major disruption which hits just when you don't want it.

    And because Insiders are generally more aware of what's going on, they aren't a particularly representative set of users for this process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #15

    Have to say I agree with this

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	198015
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #16

    DavidY said: View Post
    I think that one thing the Insider program is particularly bad at testing is Windows Updates.

    It's a while since I've run an Insider build but my impression was always that a lot of insiders were avidly waiting for the next build, and would intentionally grab each update as soon as it was available.

    Insiders will also be more likely than average users to have gone through the Settings page to tailor Active Hours, Notifications etc. around Updates.

    Whereas for most W10 users in the wider world, the Update process is an unexpected event which often catches them by surprise at some inconvenient moment when they least expect it.

    Notifications are getting better but for those users who don't know how to set Active Hours etc., updates can still be a major disruption which hits just when you don't want it.

    And because Insiders are generally more aware of what's going on, they aren't a particularly representative set of users for this process.
    Totally agree. And I think quit a few run it in a VM, which won't really flag any hardware / driver issues. I think they only really start looking at Insider build issues when it gets close to time to release the next consumer release. That's how it appears to me anyway. That's when the actual bug fixes start showing up, and the know issues list slowly shrinks.
    My other pet peeve is after so many years Windows 10 still feels like an unfinished product. Fix what you have already and stop changing things just for the sake of change. Clean up the loos ends already. I'll likely get raged on for my next comment but IMHO we don't need Control Panel and Settings.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #17

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    [snip]...
    My other pet peeve is after so many years Windows 10 still feels like an unfinished product. Fix what you have already and stop changing things just for the sake of change. Clean up the loos ends already.


    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I'll likely get raged on for my next comment but IMHO we don't need Control Panel and Settings.
    RAGE RAGE RAGE

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #18

    It seems, to me anyway, they seem intent on depreciating what I do use, and continuously adding stuff I would never use. If its not depreciated its just broken so you can't use it anyway by the last Windows update.
    The twice yearly feature / build update seems a bit much to me. Is 6 months really enough time to lock down a build and iron out all the kinks? Assuming they take advantage of those full 6 months.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 8,504
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1903 189362.439
    Thread Starter
       #19

    From what I can see, most of the 6 months between releases is spent incorporating new stuff. For instance, MS seems to have put alot of time in Skype, why? The Skype that was available before MS got involved was decent, why was it ever incorporated into Win 10?

    What I would like MS to do:

    Step 1
    1. Fix networking.
    2. Fix Windows Update and allow control of when updates are applied to be up to me, the user.
    3. Fix System Restore (yes, many people still like it and if it was reliable would be a good tool to recover from many problems).

    Step 2
    Move all the Apps into a separate, opt-in feature. I don't use any of them and have no interest in any of them. I'd be very happy to see them all disappear. If not all Apps, then separate games and Apps and make the games opt-in or allow me to opt-out.

    Dream on, I know.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    #20

    The repeatedly reinstalling Candy Crush etc on an "upgrade" to a new build needs to stop. I removed them for a reason, I don't need or want them. How many times do I have to say NO?
    And please stop greying out the uninstall option for some of the bundled Apps. I fail to see how Movies and TV is integral to Windows 10's operation?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
How to Create Custom MSC in Microsoft Management Console in Windows Microsoft Management Console (MMC) hosts administrative tools (snap-ins) that you can use to administer networks, computers, services, and other system components. You can...
Source: Microsoft 365 security and management features available in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows For Your Business
Hello After reinstalling win10 i noticed that i have a drive that takes up a letter and it doesn't appear in disk management, so i can't change it's letter to something like Z: and hide it. It's nothing major but I'd just like F: to be the letter...
Hello, I'm trying to open computer management window from MS DOS command prompt only. I'm not sure how to do it. Please help? Let me tell you a little bit about what I'm trying to do maybe you can help me better. When I log into windows it asked me...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33.
Find Us