Transferring Windows 10 to new drive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 308
    Windows 10
       #1

    Transferring Windows 10 to new drive


    I have a Toshiba S855 S5254 laptop that originally came with preinstalled Windows (8 I think) that I upgraded to Windows 10 home when the upgrade was still free.
    I am thinking of replacing its hdd with a 1 tb ssd. Will Microsoft allow me to move the Windows 10 OS to the new drive and activate it? Is it just a matter of restoring an image backup to the new drive?
    Thanks.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 41,449
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    Once an upgrade is done from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 a digital license is created.
    With a digital license you can replace any hardware.
    Use this link for guidance:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change
    The link also has an activation troubleshooter.
    For a margin of safety make sure that you have a Microsoft account.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,099
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #3

    Yes I would use Macrium Reflect to create a complete image of your current hard drive. Pull the old hard drive out and put the new SSD in and Restore the Image to your new SSD and enjoy the blazing new speed of your computer.
    If you don't have an external hard drive to keep your image on you can purchase a USB to SATA adapter and then pull your hard drive, install the SSD and Clone the hard drive to your SSD
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 308
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    zbook said:
    Once an upgrade is done from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 a digital license is created.
    With a digital license you can replace any hardware.
    Use this link for guidance:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ardware-change
    The link also has an activation troubleshooter.
    For a margin of safety make sure that you have a Microsoft account.
    Thank you. I've carefully avoided having a Microsoft account till now. Is that part really necessary?
    ClintLg said:
    Yes I would use Macrium Reflect to create a complete image of your current hard drive
    I routinely use both Macrium and EaseUS Todo (alternating for safety) for my regular backups to 2 alternating ext. hdds. This time I will do a double backup.
    It's the license issue I was worried about because the hardware would change.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 41,449
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #5

    A Microsoft account is not necessary but an extra layer or protection in case there were an activation problem.
    With a drive change there should be no problem.
    An image restoration is a lot faster than moving the users folder manually with copy and paste.
    These are some links for Macrium: (free edition)
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 625
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #6

    I know people are having problems with installing a new motherboard.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,099
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #7

    vgkfan83 said:
    I know people are having problems installing a new motherboard.
    Yes unless you replace a motherboard with the same or similar it would be considered and new computer, As hard drive or SSD change is not considered a new computer.
    OEM license is only good for the original computer. I believe that a Retail Version can be moved to a new computer
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 7,893
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
       #8

    A new drive will work fine. I strongly support using Reflect. See my guide for tips.
    Attachment 196907
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
       #9

    Curious said:
    I have a Toshiba S855 S5254 laptop that originally came with preinstalled Windows (8 I think) that I upgraded to Windows 10 home when the upgrade was still free.
    I am thinking of replacing its hdd with a 1 tb ssd. Will Microsoft allow me to move the Windows 10 OS to the new drive and activate it? Is it just a matter of restoring an image backup to the new drive?
    Thanks.
    Since you're using a different tecnology for the new disk (HDD -> SSD) I advise you do perform a fresh install. Windows will not be avare that the disk is no more a spinning one; there are maintainance routines which are specific to the kind of storage you're using (defrag vs TRIM to name one).
    To get the best from your new SSD drive a fresh install on the new disk is mutch better.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 7,893
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
       #10

    roy111 said:
    Since you're using a different tecnology for the new disk (HDD -> SSD) I advise you do perform a fresh install. Windows will not be avare that the disk is no more a spinning one; there are maintainance routines which are specific to the kind of storage you're using (defrag vs TRIM to name one).
    To get the best from your new SSD drive a fresh install on the new disk is mutch better.
    No, he should have no problems.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums