Latest update shrunk my desktop icons & text

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    #11

    Right clock on desktop and turn off auto arange Icons (under View) and set medium or large icons, than arange them as you wish.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    #12

    CountMike said: View Post
    Right clock on desktop and turn off auto arange Icons (under View) and set medium or large icons, than arange them as you wish.
    I never have auto arrange turned on, it’s just annoying that after a windows update both my machines have the same problem, I’ve even tried a restore to a month ago and nothing changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 42,431
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #13

    While you're in that settings box, post a pic of all your current settings.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-07-13_07h39_30.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	195585
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 42,431
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #14

    Fitzy said: View Post
    I never have auto arrange turned on, itís just annoying that after a windows update both my machines have the same problem, Iíve even tried a restore to a month ago and nothing changes.
    A restore of what? And how?


    Are the two machines identical? If they are, it may be a graphics driver issue.

    If you restored to a month ago, and as soon as you booted up to the older system you still had this issue, it's unlikely the current update did it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    #15

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    A restore of what? And how?
    A system restore using a restore point.
    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Are the two machines identical? If they are, it may be a graphics driver issue.
    No, not identical, ones a desktop, the other is a laptop.
    f14tomcat said: View Post
    If you restored to a month ago, and as soon as you booted up to the older system you still had this issue, it's unlikely the current update did it.
    Both machines were working perfectly before the update auto installed when I rebooted them, then once update was completed, the icon problem appeared.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 42,431
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #16

    So, sequence of events is:

    1) all was fine both machines prior to update.
    2) both machines downloaded and applied the latest Cumulative Update.
    3) both machines have the same desktop issue.
    4) you restored both machines to a prior state a month earlier.
    5) after reboot from restore, all was fine both machines.
    6) both machines then re-downloaded and applied the Cumulative Update.
    7) after re-boot both machines had the desktop issue return as before.

    Are both machines HP?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7.    #17

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    So, sequence of events is:

    1) all was fine both machines prior to update.
    2) both machines downloaded and applied the latest Cumulative Update.
    3) both machines have the same desktop issue.
    4) you restored both machines to a prior state a month earlier.
    5) after reboot from restore, all was fine both machines.
    6) both machines then re-downloaded and applied the Cumulative Update.
    7) after re-boot both machines had the desktop issue return as before.

    Are both machines HP?
    1) yes
    2)yes
    3)yes
    4)Yes
    5)no, still had same desktop issue, canít seem to uninstall cumulative update KB4338819 from either machine.
    6)no
    7)yes

    Laptop is an HP Star Wars Edition and desktop is a home built system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #18

    Just how did you do your restore? What program did you use? Sounds like you may have tried to restore to an older Windows, but it did NOT restore your machines correctly. TC is VERY good at fixing issues....he'll figure it out.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    #19

    I used the system restore within windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #20

    Fitzy said: View Post
    I used the system restore within windows.
    Ahh...and that is what I thought you used....it does not do a restore very well!!!! We tell most people that Windows restore is very unreliable. 50/50 chance of it working correctly.

    After you fix your issue, download the free version of Macrium Reflect and only use that for your image backups.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Hi. The text under my desktop icons are "outlined" and very hard to read (see screenshot). Where can I change this setting? Thanks. 158132
My cat trod on my keyboard when she was going to her sheepskin mat next to the monitor (she often sleeps there) since then the text in the browser and wordprocessing programs and notepad is in boxes and I cannot manage to cure the problem. Any...
I've read references in increasing icon spacing via Regedit tweaks, but will that also increase the text length under icons before the text wraps to a new line. For example a folder named "Screen Grabs" displays both words on one line with Win7 but...
50520Whats the deal? How do I get back the adobe pdfs? Currently the pdfs open in the edge browser only. Very annoying.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14.
Find Us