Windows 10: Using the current device's product key on my another device.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    18 Jun 2018 #11

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    My best guess is on the old PC it knows there is a Pro Digital License for that PC stored on the activation server. Upgrading to Pro on that PC would be free as it already has a DL for Pro.
    The new Pc doesn't have a DL for Pro stored, so its asking you to enter a key, or buy a key. You could enter the key there. Or just go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and do a change Product Key. Either way should get you pro on the new PC. You may be prompted to transfer the licence to the new PC, not sure, I've never done a product code transfer from one PC to another.
    Will try it then. Shall I try it with VM? Because to degrade from Pro to Home (if unsuccessful like last time) it takes a lot of time and also the apps have to be reinstalled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    18 Jun 2018 #12

    Activating that key in VM will activate it against the Virtual Hardware, not the actual physical hardware on the PC. As far as I know anyway. I don't see the point of doing it myself. May also make it harder to eventually activate it on the real hardware?
    I do believe have been changes made with the change product key option. It will validate the key for activation before upgrading to Pro, not after. Looking for the info but haven't found it yet.
    I do believe this is it, Change Product Key in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Jun 2018 #13

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Activating that key in VM will activate it against the Virtual Hardware, not the actual physical hardware on the PC. As far as I know anyway. I don't see the point of doing it myself. May also make it harder to eventually activate it on the real hardware?
    I do believe have been changes made with the change product key option. It will validate the key for activation before upgrading to Pro, not after. Looking for the info but haven't found it yet.
    I do believe this is it, Change Product Key in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hello,
    Nope, it doesn't validate upon key insertion. Only after the upgrade to Pro does it try to activate it. Btw, shall I dual boot Home and Pro on my new PC and check whether the PRO key activates it now that old PC was clean installed to W10 Home?
    Last edited by RK1997; 18 Jun 2018 at 09:36.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Jun 2018 #14

    It looks like its with the generic key, Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions | Windows 10 Tutorials If you use the generic key in change product key it won't upgrade unless the PC can activate with a DL. I thought that applied to any key entered via change product key, guess I was wrong. I haven't used a real key in a long time. All my PC's have multiple DL's so I just skip entering one on a clean install, and use generics when switching after the fact..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 Jun 2018 #15

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	6 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	192789
    This is what happens when I try to activate it on my new PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Jun 2018 #16

    Ok, that begs the question of where did you get the Pro license / key from?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    19 Jun 2018 #17

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Ok, that begs the question of where did you get the Pro license / key from?
    From Amazon but not by Microsoft. Got it for $30. May be it was meant for one PC only.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    19 Jun 2018 #18

    RK1997 said: View Post
    From Amazon but not by Microsoft. Got it for $30. May be it was meant for one PC only.
    Retail keys are for one device only. Any one device at any one time. You can move a retail key from one device to another, you just can't activate more than one device at the same time with it. According to the EULA anyway. What likely happened in this instance is that seller sold that same product code to multiple people. Microsoft have picked up on the multiple use and it is now blocked from ever being used again. Any Digital Licenses already out there are still good, you just won't be able to get another one with that product code.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    19 Jun 2018 #19

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Retail keys are for one device only. Any one device at any one time. You can move a retail key from one device to another, you just can't activate more than one device at the same time with it. According to the EULA anyway. What likely happened in this instance is that seller sold that same product code to multiple people. Microsoft have picked up on the multiple use and it is now blocked from ever being used again. Any Digital Licenses already out there are still good, you just won't be able to get another one with that product code.
    Hmm, next time I will buy from Microsoft only. Got to use Home only then and will upgrade the old PC to Pro.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    19 Jun 2018 #20

    RK1997 said: View Post
    Hmm, next time I will buy from Microsoft only. Got to use Home only then and will upgrade the old PC to Pro.
    The original PC that key was used it on "should" still be fine running Pro. The Digital License it got "should" still be usable. I can't guarantee it 100% though. If you go to change product key on that original PC, and enter the "generic" pro key, one of two things should happen. It will either upgrade to Pro and activate, or refuse to upgrade. According to this anyway, Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions | Windows 10 Tutorials Just use the generic key, not your blocked Retail key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
I upgraded to the April 2018 update yesterday and then this issue showed up. Basically, when Bluetooth is turned on, an Unknown device pops up in Device Manager. However, when I turn Bluetooth off, it disappears (screenshots below).The information...
My current desktop only has USB3. Is there a way of connecting my legacy USB1 device ? (e.g. hardware adapter)
I can no longer use the mic that came with my Xbox 360 wired controller on my Windows 10 PC after I upgraded to the Creators Update a few days ago. In the Device Manager it is listed as 'Unknown device' and if I try to 'Upgrade Drivers' then I get...
Hello, ok so after recently doing a clean install of windows 10(please don't get me started on that mess). my system has been plagued by random usb drops. it's where everything connected via USB suddenly disconnects then reconnects out of the blue....
i have my ASUS X555LD for almost a year now, so as far as date is concerned my laptop shouldn't be too old to suffer such illness. So it came with Win8.1 x64 of course and just recently, as soon as Windows 10 was released, i upgraded quickly. but...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39.
Find Us