Windows 10: Obtaining a new license - some questions Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 480
    Win10 x64 Pro -2 desktops, 1 laptop
       01 Jun 2018 #1

    Obtaining a new license - some questions


    I've giving up trying to reactivate Win10 after a motherboards change - see thread here for details. I'm going to buy a new license. But I've got some questions about that.

    If I buy directly from Microsoft do I just get an email with a key and a link to download? And if so, the new key work with my existing, running Windows won't it? There's no reason to reinstall Windows, is there? (That sounds like a very boneheaded question to me. I want it to be a very boneheaded question. But I think I should ask it anyway.)

    If I were to buy Windows from Amazon instead of Microsoft would I be getting a physical package and have to wait for it to be delivered before getting that key?

    In preparation for my motherboard replacement I switched my Windows account from local to a Microsoft account in hope of using the Activation Troubleshooter to reactivate Windows. I have no other use for using the Microsoft account on Windows (that I know of). Is there any reason I should not switch back to local?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    01 Jun 2018 #2

    Have a look on the eBay UK site for best Windows 10 key prices. Sellers here email the key to you...sometimes it only takes seconds. You can use these to activate an existing installation (in any country).

    Also, I personally can see no reason not to switch back to local account. I have NEVER used a Microsoft Account and probably never will.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    01 Jun 2018 #3

    enigma101 said: View Post
    Have a look on the eBay UK site for best Windows 10 key prices. Sellers here email the key to you...sometimes it only takes seconds. You can use these to activate an existing installation (in any country).

    Also, I personally can see no reason not to switch back to local account. I have NEVER used a Microsoft Account and probably never will.
    The most compelling reason for using an MS account is that your digital licence gets linked to your MS account, so if Windows fails to activate after a hardware change, you can reactivate it.

    In practical terms, it means you can teansfer your digital licence to a new mobo (if mobo fails say) or PC even. If you only use a local account, your digital licence cannot be transferred. This is irrelevant if original key is full retail, but is relevant if original key is oem. There is a grey area in the EULA as they do not really cover digital licences.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 480
    Win10 x64 Pro -2 desktops, 1 laptop
    Thread Starter
       01 Jun 2018 #4

    enigma101 said: View Post
    Have a look on the eBay UK site for best Windows 10 key prices. Sellers here email the key to you...sometimes it only takes seconds. You can use these to activate an existing installation (in any country).
    Is eBay a legitimate Microsoft reseller? Is there any way to know whether I'm getting a legitimate license?

    cereberus said: View Post
    The most compelling reason for using an MS account is that your digital licence gets linked to your MS account, so if Windows fails to activate after a hardware change, you can reactivate it.

    In practical terms, it means you can teansfer your digital licence to a new mobo (if mobo fails say) or PC even. If you only use a local account, your digital licence cannot be transferred. This is irrelevant if original key is full retail, but is relevant if original key is oem. There is a grey area in the EULA as they do not really cover digital licences.
    That "if Windows fails to activate after a hardware change, you can reactivate it" sounds great, but I get a message from Troubleshooter that the activation cannot be done but it gives no explanation. Using the 'Virtual Assistant" to do the same action - reactivation after major hardware change - I get the same result but with a suggestion that I talk with a person to resolve the issue. Selecting the "talk to a person" option just hangs.

    If that ability to reactivate is the reason using the Microsoft account I'm not very impressed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Jun 2018 #5

    eBay doesn't sell stuff, the person listing is the actual seller and responsible for the item. All I can say is they seem to use a loophole which allows them to legally re-sell 'OEM' keys. Strictly meaning they have to sell you a piece of old PC hardware with the key. Usually this is provided as option where you need to pay postage for said hardware. Of course no-one actually wants this so they just use the emailed key and call it quits.

    Authentic Re-seller?....well...most of them actually do claim to be. Again speaking from experience, I've purchased many keys from different sellers for Windows and Office and never had any issues. Even if you did, the most you would need to do is start a Paypal dispute although I've never had too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 480
    Win10 x64 Pro -2 desktops, 1 laptop
    Thread Starter
       01 Jun 2018 #6

    [QUOTE=enigma101;1384373]they seem to use a loophole which allows them to legally re-sell 'OEM' keys.
    I think I'll avoid that. Even if it's a perfectly legal loophole, I'm currently having problems reactivating what started as an old Win7 OEM license that was "transferred" from my old motherboard to a new one. The only reason I'm thinking of buying a new license is to avoid complications like that.

    enigma101 said: View Post
    Authentic Re-seller?....well...most of them actually do claim to be.
    Microsoft has published a list of authorized resellers here. I don't know if it's complete. I do know it's not exactly up to date. (NCIX declared bankruptcy several months ago.) I think I'll stick with places on the list.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Jun 2018 #7

    How is the transfer wizard failing? i.e with which error code?

    Have run a diagnostic report to check if a digital licence was created? (only the script version has it)

    BTW: You take your chances with the e-Bay keys -- they cannot guarantee authenticity such as an approved MS reseller. Having said that MS no longer blocks over-used MSDN keys - evrything get DL (except you in this instance.. it appears )
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 480
    Win10 x64 Pro -2 desktops, 1 laptop
    Thread Starter
       01 Jun 2018 #8

    Superfly said: View Post
    How is the transfer wizard failing? i.e with which error code?

    Have run a diagnostic report to check if a digital licence was created? (only the script version has it)

    BTW: You take your chances with the e-Bay keys -- they cannot guarantee authenticity such as an approved MS reseller. Having said that MS no longer blocks over-used MSDN keys - evrything get DL (except you in this instance.. it appears )
    I'm not on that PC at the moment and won't be for a couple hours. I'll update this posting when then. (I'm running on about 2 hours sleep and not a t peak performance right now. I'm going more slowly than I might wish. )
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    01 Jun 2018 #9

    pokeefe0001 said: View Post
    I'm not on that PC at the moment and won't be for a couple hours. I'll update this posting when then. (I'm running on about 2 hours sleep and not a t peak performance right now. I'm going more slowly than I might wish. )
    LOL.. just finished a hard week myself... Whew!

    I haven't read your whole saga, but MS tech support usually dishes out keys when they dunno what's up (which is kinda par for the course with that out-sourced crowd ) anyway... just a heads up
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 480
    Win10 x64 Pro -2 desktops, 1 laptop
    Thread Starter
       01 Jun 2018 #10

    With any luck I've attached the requested diagnostic report. The history of Windows on this PC: In summer 2010 I purchased a custom built PC with OEM copy of Win7 Home. A week later I did an "Anytime Upgrade" to Win7 Pro. Fall 2015 I did the automatic upgrade to Win10 The diagnostic report seems to say I have a retail copy of Windows (if I understand what I'm reading). Maybe one of those upgrades changed the license from OEM to retail. If so, I'm even more confused by the failure. The diagnostic report is full of 0xC004F034 errors. The Settings->Activation display in Windows says "The last product key(00330-80000-00000-AA254) you entered last can't be used on this copy of Windows. (0x803FA067) ShowKeyPlus and Belarc Advisor show 00330-80000-00000-AA570 The diagnostic report shows 00330-80000-00000-AA699 (if ActiveProductKeyPid2 is the product key). Do I just need to do a "Change product key" in the Activate procedure?

    Update:
    I think I'm mixing up Product ID and Product Key ... but it looks like the activation process is, too. That message "The last product key(00330-80000-00000-AA254) you entered last can't be used on this copy of Windows" is showing a product id rather than a product key.

    I was going to try changing my product key to 00330-80000-00000-AA570 and try the Troubleshooter again, but that is a product id. Will I cause myself any grief by messing around with this?
    Obtaining a new license - some questions Attached Files
    Last edited by pokeefe0001; 01 Jun 2018 at 22:20.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Questions about Win 10 License in Windows Updates and Activation
I got 2 questions about Win 10 license.... 1) Is it cheaper to buy a Win 10 product key now or after July 29th? 2) I'm not able to find a Win 10 retail version. Does anyone know where to find one?
I would like to upgrade a spare dreamspark Win 8 Pro key to Win 10 before the deadline. I also have a laptop that has Win 10 Home (upgraded from OEM Win 8 by digital entitlement). With the dreamspark key, I assume that this laptop can be upgraded...
License Questions in General Support
Hi there. First time here, in the 10 forums. When I was at the University, I got access to download and use Windows 7 Pro and also Windows 8.1 Pro for free, from a program called DreamSpark. I have original keys and what have you. Last night, I...
I have a full retail boxed 'W8.1 Home' pack (NOT an OEM) that includes two DVD's, a 32bit and 64 bit. The 64 bit has been in use for 18 months on my main PC, however in order to jump on the W10 bandwagon I installed W10 Pro on this PC by using my...
New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hello, Brand new user. a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus. Should I use it ? Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC ? Use them both ? b. And, how do I turn on the "Defender" anti virus which I understand is...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:58.
Find Us