Windows 10: Update to Windows 10, Version 1803 kills Lenovo laptop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    21 May 2018 #11

    cwilly8 said: View Post
    In a state of near panic, I went through the Microsoft Virtual Agent to get to a Chat with a technician. He changed Task Scheduler settings and added a registry key to prevent updates from installing. He said once the bugs in 1803 are fixed, I would hear from Microsoft about how to proceed (I'll be surprised if that happens). Anyway, I feel safe for now.
    Regular Reflect backup's = no panic stations

    Actually what I wanted to know... is which Task and reg key were done to stop the update? did you get a glance?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 May 2018 #12

    Superfly said: View Post
    Regular Reflect backup's = no panic stations

    Actually what I wanted to know... is which Task and reg key were done to stop the update? did you get a glance?
    As far as the task, he ran taskschd.msc. I didn't notice exactly which task but I think it was something obvious like Windows Update.

    He added a registry key called Windows Update as follows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Policies
    Microsoft
    Windows
    Windows Update
    ALU
    Name: NoAutoUpdate
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0x00000001 (1)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 786
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       21 May 2018 #13

    So this must have something to do with your AMD CPU or is your OS SSD and Intel? there is a known issue with Intel SSD and 1803, I haven't seen or heard of any other widespread issues with 1803?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    21 May 2018 #14

    I hate to break it to you but your system isn't in the "eligible for 1803 update" list of lenovo : https://support.lenovo.com/mo/en/sol...506455#ideapad
    this is a new trend to tell you your device went legacy .

    Apparently your laptop is one of those that has a Conexant audio chip Microsoft is putting to sleep , i have disused the topic in full here : On buying new or used Laptop / PC beware of Conexant chips
    you might still be able to upgrade but after uninstalling your audio drivers .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 May 2018 #15

    nIGHTmAYOR said: View Post
    I hate to break it to you but your system isn't in the "eligible for 1803 update" list of lenovo : https://support.lenovo.com/mo/en/sol...506455#ideapad
    this is a new trend to tell you your device went legacy .

    Apparently your laptop is one of those that has a Conexant audio chip Microsoft is putting to sleep , i have disused the topic in full here : On buying new or used Laptop / PC beware of Conexant chips
    you might still be able to upgrade but after uninstalling your audio drivers .
    Wow! The laptop is 3 years old, and Microsoft is pulling the plug on it. Too bad the Windows Update process couldn't figure that out. It's a royal pain to be where I am in this mess.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 May 2018 #16

    Clintlgm said: View Post
    So this must have something to do with your AMD CPU or is your OS SSD and Intel? there is a known issue with Intel SSD and 1803, I haven't seen or heard of any other widespread issues with 1803?
    Conventional HDD and Intel Core I7 CPU.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       21 May 2018 #17

    [QUOTE=nIGHTmAYOR;1377336]I hate to break it to you but your system isn't in the "eligible for 1803 update" list of lenovo : https://support.lenovo.com/mo/en/sol...506455#ideapad
    this is a new trend to tell you your device went legacy .

    Apparently your laptop is one of those that has a Conexant audio chip Microsoft is putting to sleep , i have disused the topic in full here : On buying new or used Laptop / PC beware of Conexant chips
    you might still be able to upgrade but after uninstalling your audio drivers .[/Q

    I found this website with a compatible Conexant driver. But I'm always suspicious of third party stuff like this. In your opinion, is it safe?

    Download Conexant MEDIA Sound Drivers 8.66.76.52 for Windows 10 1803
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    21 May 2018 #18

    I have the exact same issue with a Lenovo Z580 laptop. The only option I see is to install a replacement drive (I plan to put an SSD in place of the HDD) and reinstall Win10 on it. Since Windows was preinstalled on the Z580, is the Windows key embedded in the ROM? I do not have a key for it and Win10 x64 has been running on it for several years, after an OTA upgrade from Win 8.1 or whatever it was running before.

    Once I get the SSD running, I should be able to get the data from the old HDD. I hope it's still intact.

    Also, I did not know there was a Lenovo approved list for the 1803 update. As if we have an option for these updates anyway, but I digress.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 786
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       21 May 2018 #19

    speedlever said: View Post
    I have the exact same issue with a Lenovo Z580 laptop. The only option I see is to install a replacement drive (I plan to put an SSD in place of the HDD) and reinstall Win10 on it. Since Windows was preinstalled on the Z580, is the Windows key embedded in the ROM? I do not have a key for it and Win10 x64 has been running on it for several years, after an OTA upgrade from Win 8.1 or whatever it was running before.

    Once I get the SSD running, I should be able to get the data from the old HDD. I hope it's still intact.

    Also, I did not know there was a Lenovo approved list for the 1803 update. As if we have an option for these updates anyway, but I digress.
    Seems the discussion was the sound card" Conexant chips" not the hard drive so you have lost me here unless you have an Intel SSD currently
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    22 May 2018 #20

    [QUOTE=cwilly8;1377495]
    nIGHTmAYOR said: View Post
    I hate to break it to you but your system isn't in the "eligible for 1803 update" list of lenovo : https://support.lenovo.com/mo/en/sol...506455#ideapad
    this is a new trend to tell you your device went legacy .

    Apparently your laptop is one of those that has a Conexant audio chip Microsoft is putting to sleep , i have disused the topic in full here : On buying new or used Laptop / PC beware of Conexant chips
    you might still be able to upgrade but after uninstalling your audio drivers .[/Q

    I found this website with a compatible Conexant driver. But I'm always suspicious of third party stuff like this. In your opinion, is it safe?

    Download Conexant MEDIA Sound Drivers 8.66.76.52 for Windows 10 1803
    There had been few updates out to tackle this issue of these are :
    Conexant SmartAudio HD Driver 8.66.76.52
    Conexant SmartAudio HD Driver 8.66.76.64
    Conexant SmartAudio HD Driver 8.66.83.53
    The origins are unknown but they are known to work but there are 3 cons , their maximum speaker volume and mic volume are known to be lower than previous versions , that and dolby gui interface had been changed to a less featured one that gets stuck often (equalizer seize to work where a restart maybe be required) .

    If you worry about their origins you can try installing one of em during the course of update then reverting to Microsoft HD audio driver and hiding the update Microsoft will push on you (force install itself every few days though) .

    The catch is , trying different / moded / different manufacturers drivers are the only options available for legacy hardware .

    I'd suggest you contact lenovo support if available in your region and demand an updated version of the audio driver .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
I have tried numerous times to upgrade my desktop computer using Windows Update, the Windows 10 Update Assistant, and even using a Windows 10 1803 ISO. The Windows Update screen just gives me the following error with option to try again. but...
I updated to the Springs Creators Update Version 1803. I have about 6 email registered on the Windows Mail App, but only 3 are showing on the left side under accounts. If I go to Manage Accounts all emails show up. I have done a Reset on the Windows...
I have run SFC /SCANNOW as Administrator and no problem was found. Then I ran the update troubleshooter and it came back with this error report. 187937 What should be my next step?
Source: Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel update Windows Server Blog
Defender Antimalware version update on Windows 10 1803 in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Received this via WIndows Update this morning on Insider PCs Antimalware Client Version: 4.14.17613.18038 Unknown what is fixed or anything, just thought i'd let folks know in regards to that, decided to keep Defender active on the systems til...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31.
Find Us