Windows 10: KB4090913 & KB4090914 issue... Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    08 Mar 2018 #11

    jamis said: View Post
    I ran Brink's "Reset Register Windows Update Components" bat file, but the restart failed to complete the update with the same 0x80070bc2 error.
    That is not the same thing as what I posted. An in place upgrade repair will fix any Windows problems you have, it will not remove any programs that you have or any personal filed. All you need to do is download the ISO usion the Windows Upgrade tool and follow the directions in the Tut that I posted.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Tutorials
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Mar 2018 #12

    Now a Known BUG


    Performed the Dsim and sfc was clean. Doing a in-place now. For the record this happened on a HP Spectre x360 15-b1XX. Also tried an unplug everything and a install of the catalogued KBxx913 package from MSFT update catalogue in SAFE mode with same results.

    Seems KB4090914 is updated 1st and correctly but then hanging KB4090913. Hung in a loop with 0x80070bc2 error. Gets to 98% on the KBxx913, restarts and then the oops couldn't complete message and an undo.

    03/09/2018 UPDATE. Did a in-place last night and it successfully updated KBxx913 and KBxx914.
    However this morning it downloaded KBxx913 again now awaiting restart.

    ==> Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4090913 Fails to Install, Causes Other Issues

    Cumulative Update KB4090913 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.251 - Mar. 5 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    09 Mar 2018 #13

    MarkDS said: View Post
    Performed the Dsim and sfc was clean. Doing a in-place now. For the record this happened on a HP Spectre x360 15-b1XX. Also tried an unplug everything and a install of the catalogued KBxx913 package from MSFT update catalogue in SAFE mode with same results.

    Seems KB4090914 is updated 1st and correctly but then hanging KB4090913. Hung in a loop with 0x80070bc2 error. Gets to 98% on the KBxx913, restarts and then the oops couldn't complete message and an undo.

    03/09/2018 UPDATE. Did a in-place last night and it successfully updated KBxx913 and KBxx914.
    However this morning it downloaded KBxx913 again now awaiting restart.

    ==> Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4090913 Fails to Install, Causes Other Issues

    Cumulative Update KB4090913 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.251 - Mar. 5 - Windows 10 Forums
    I got both via Windows Update and have had no issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 93
    Windows10 Home v. 1709 bld. 16299.371
    Thread Starter
       09 Mar 2018 #14

    I did the suggested inplace upgrade repair and as soon as Windows Update ran, KB4090913 was downloaded and would not install as MarkDS posted. I also used Microsoft's guide to clear the contents of the software distribution folder, which got rid of the pending KB4090913 update, but as soon as Windows Update ran again, the offending KB4090913 update was back and will not install. Since it's not causing any issues at this moment, I'll wait for a fix from MS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Mar 2018 #15

    jamis said: View Post
    I did the suggested inplace upgrade repair and as soon as Windows Update ran, KB4090913 was downloaded and would not install as MarkDS posted. I also used Microsoft's guide to clear the contents of the software distribution folder, which got rid of the pending KB4090913 update, but as soon as Windows Update ran again, the offending KB4090913 update was back and will not install. Since it's not causing any issues at this moment, I'll wait for a fix from MS.
    Report it to The Hub if you have not already. It is a shame these things happen to some and not all. Never saw anything like this with Windows 7 and prior.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 93
    Windows10 Home v. 1709 bld. 16299.371
    Thread Starter
       09 Mar 2018 #16

    Josey Wales said: View Post
    Report it to The Hub if you have not already. It is a shame these things happen to some and not all. Never saw anything like this with Windows 7 and prior.
    Yeah. We all got spoiled by W7s stability.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 93
    Windows10 Home v. 1709 bld. 16299.371
    Thread Starter
       12 Mar 2018 #17

    I'm still tilting at windmills on this issue. I found the following MS web page on trouble shooting Windows Update problems. Pretty good tutorial, but it left me with no resolution. The SFC Scannow generated a CBS.log that shows that the analyticsevents.dat files on my system are corrupt and the only fix the tutorial offers is to do an inplace repair, which I've done to no avail. The log says the hash for the file and the one in the store do not match. Not sure if the files would be rebuilt if deleted and I can't find any information on them, yet.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-update-errors
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 93
    Windows10 Home v. 1709 bld. 16299.371
    Thread Starter
       14 Mar 2018 #18

    It appears that this issue is fixed now. Yesterday (03/13/18), KB4088776, KB4088785, & KB890830 downloaded automatically; but would not install due to the corruption from KB4090913. That trashed my hopes that a new cumulative or version would correct things. I have been laboring under the belief that this problem started with an 03/05/18 update gone awry, but looking at the downloaded packages for KB40090913 I discovered that it started on 03/02/18. I found over 1,800 KB4090913 files from 03/02/18 spread across several hours. I have a 57Mb internet connection, so downloads don't take much time. I also found some from 03/05/18. I had tried previous fixes based on 03/04/18 restore points and backups. Last night, I did a system restore from an 02/26/18 system image. The KB4090913/KB4090914 updates disappeared and when the system booted up after the restore, WU automatically downloaded and installed the three updates that showed up on 03/13/18. Thank goodness I had multiple system images (father/son). I am going to add another level with the new 1TB drive I just added for system backup. Had I realized when the corruption initially occurred, this problem could have been corrected much sooner and with a lot less labor. Now I can look forward to April's version update.
    Last edited by jamis; 14 Mar 2018 at 08:32. Reason: added text
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.251
       18 Mar 2018 #19

    I had the same issue nd the following fixed it for me:


    In the search box on the taskbar, type cmd.
    Right-click Command Prompt in the search results and select Run as administrator. (Select Yes, when prompted by the User Account Control.)
    In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:

    SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
    Restart the PC.

    In some cases, a second restart may be required. If you look under Settings > Update & security and you see the message Status: Awaiting restart, restart the PC a second time to complete the installation.

    I found these steps as a fix for a similar issue for the 0x80070bc2 error while attempting to install KB4074588.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Related Threads
    UPDATE 3/13: Cumulative Update KB4088776 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.309 - Mar. 13 - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251 Direct download links for KB4090913...
    Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090914/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-10-version-1709-march-5-2018 Direct download links for KB4090914 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog: :arrow: Download KB4090914 MSU for Windows...
    Hi, I manually upgraded to the new 1703 release of Windows 10, and this OS is very stable. I burned the ISO and did an in-place upgrade from Version 1607 on 3 PCs, and got this weird issue. All of them have NVIDIA graphics cards, and...
    Hello! I bought a Windows 10 Asus laptop about a month back and have been running into a few issues. I actually have tried asking the Microsoft tech forums directly but with a lack of responses I feel I need to ask elsewhere. There are two...
    Hello! I upgraded to Windows 10 today. I have two issues. 1. I play a game called "Starcraft II" and I have a problem with the game minimizing and maximizing sometimes very slowly, every 5th attempt or so. During this time it takes up to 40...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:27.
    Find Us