Update and restart


  1. Posts : 50
    Windows 10
       #1

    Update and restart


    When i right click on the Windows icon up comes update and restart as in my attachment. Then, the computer will restart but no update and update and restart stays there. Any help please?:)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Update and restart-20180124_130134.jpg  
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,644
    Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 21H2
       #2

    First go to Settings/Backup and update/Windows Update and search for update. After that,
    1. Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    3. Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    4. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
    5. Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.
    Try Update and Shut Down
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 79
    Windows 7
       #3

    terrace said:
    When i right click on the Windows icon up comes update and restart as in my attachment. Then, the computer will restart but no update and update and restart stays there. Any help please?:)
    Try windows icon
    Gear cog
    Click on Windows update & Security

    Check for updates
    Let Er R.I.P.

    You might have had a corrupted file, or an iPhone update and crash on reboot.

    Just a guess on iPhone just got two nasty grams for customers crashing.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 50
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    spunk said:
    First go to Settings/Backup and update/Windows Update and search for update. After that,
    1. Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    2. Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    3. Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    4. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
    5. Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.
    Try Update and Shut Down
    Thank You tried that but no result.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 39,972
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #5

    The restart without update is still available.
    See if you can place the computer into clean boot with msconfig.
    Then remove all attached hardware (printers, headset, speakers, bluetooth items, external drives, etc.)
    Once all of the above is done then attempt update and restart.
    Report results into the thread.
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts Performance Maintenance Tutorials
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #6

    terrace said:
    Thank You tried that but no result.
    What issues did the troubleshooter report?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 50
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    What issues did the troubleshooter report?
    Last night i was turning the computer off and "update and restart" was gone, (don`t know how) so i found if i pressed windows icon and r it confirmed Windows 10 and that the update was done. See attached.:)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Update and restart-capture.jpg  
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #8

    If the Windows Updates are up-to-date according to your computer, you will not see Update and Restart. You are on Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2007). I don't recall the latest 1607 build but .2007 looks pretty high to me. The computer must be pretty close to be ready for version1703.

    I pin Update and Security to Start especially now that I'm on 1709 so it's easy enough for to click on it and check Windows Update Status since 1709 will not show Restart and Update from what I've read. Windows Updates are typically scheduled for the week of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Tuesday of the month but do not necessarily come in on Tuesday on each computer so that's why I keep track of it myself.

    Now that my computer is on 1709, what I'm going to be looking for is a message in the notification area that Windows Updates are ready to be installed with options to restart now or set a time for the download and install; that being said I should know in plenty of time because I keep track of what's going on and it takes only a couple of seconds to do so.

    Unless there's something more I don't know about, it seems to me your computer is running fine.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 50
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    If the Windows Updates are up-to-date according to your computer, you will not see Update and Restart. You are on Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.2007). I don't recall the latest 1607 build but .2007 looks pretty high to me. The computer must be pretty close to be ready for version1703.

    I pin Update and Security to Start especially now that I'm on 1709 so it's easy enough for to click on it and check Windows Update Status since 1709 will not show Restart and Update from what I've read. Windows Updates are typically scheduled for the week of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Tuesday of the month but do not necessarily come in on Tuesday on each computer so that's why I keep track of it myself.

    Now that my computer is on 1709, what I'm going to be looking for is a message in the notification area that Windows Updates are ready to be installed with options to restart now or set a time for the download and install; that being said I should know in plenty of time because I keep track of what's going on and it takes only a couple of seconds to do so.

    Unless there's something more I don't know about, it seems to me your computer is running fine.
    Thank You, yes i saw 1709 was the update ready to run.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,338
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #10

    "Thank You, yes i saw 1709 was the update ready to run." great, that's good to know. Usually I like to let the computer install a major update when the computer is "naturally" ready. It is possible to install it sooner than later but since you will be skipping 1703 I don't know the effect of skipping Creators Update 1703 and installing the Fall Creators Update (FCU) 1709 sooner than later.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums