KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC


  1. Posts : 7,134
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #1

    KB4056892 Still Received and Bricked an Old AMD PC


    I just fired up an old AMD Athlon 64 X2 PC running the latest version of Windows 10. I was surprised Windows 10 showed an update to KB4056892 which I thought had been blocked. I let the update run anyway (since another PC ran an Automatic repair OK) and the PC hung on restart. However, this PC won't run Automatic Repair after restart. How can I run Automatic Repair on a PC in this state? I do have a Macrium backup to recover from.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #2

    I was having this same problem and was at my wit's end before I stumbled across the news that KB4056892 was causing my old AMD to freeze at start up with a blue Windows logo. Just when I thought I had the problem solved, I would come back to the computer to find the screen frozen with the blue Windows logo. I assumed the update had been blocked as reported, but have since confirmed that it was not blocked on my computer, and so the update kept re-installing, and each time I re-started I would be frozen at start up. Each time, I had to go back to a restore point that pre-dated the install of KB4056892, so I could start up. I decided to manually disable the Windows Updates with "services.msc" for a few days to see if there will be news about a patched update. My computer would not run the Automatic Repair after restart either. I had to go "other options" and find the option to go to a restore point. I have never had much success with restore points, but at least it worked this time to get me back to a point before KB4056892 was installed. It appears that I am able to use the computer now with the Windows Updates disabled.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7,134
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    jdandpe said:
    I was having this same problem and was at my wit's end before I stumbled across the news that KB4056892 was causing my old AMD to freeze at start up with a blue Windows logo. Just when I thought I had the problem solved, I would come back to the computer to find the screen frozen with the blue Windows logo. I assumed the update had been blocked as reported, but have since confirmed that it was not blocked on my computer, and so the update kept re-installing, and each time I re-started I would be frozen at start up. Each time, I had to go back to a restore point that pre-dated the install of KB4056892, so I could start up. I decided to manually disable the Windows Updates with "services.msc" for a few days to see if there will be news about a patched update. My computer would not run the Automatic Repair after restart either. I had to go "other options" and find the option to go to a restore point. I have never had much success with restore points, but at least it worked this time to get me back to a point before KB4056892 was installed. It appears that I am able to use the computer now with the Windows Updates disabled.
    Thanks. I've tried the update on two AMD PCs. One invoked Automatic Repair after a failed restart and reverted OK. The second one just hangs at the Windows logo and I can't do anything with it.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 134
    Windows 10 Home 64bit V1803
       #4

    A hyper transport sync flood error


    AMD Athlon Neo MV-40 CPU, 4GB of Ram, latest chipset & BIOS legacy:
    I have tried several times to update to Windows 10 CU v1709 but each time it downloads to around 80% an error message appears: "A hyper transport sync flood error occurred on last boot - Press F1 to resume" then it starts to restore previous version 1607 Windows! Never seen this error on any other Windows 10 build.
    Not sure why Microsoft Update downloads and tries to install to only fail without a fix...hours wasted!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,134
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    I've now recovered the PC from a Reflect backup and blocked the update using this Tutorial Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10
      My Computers


  6. VBF
    Posts : 593
    Win 10 Pro
       #6

    Steve C said:
    I've now recovered the PC from a Reflect backup and blocked the update using this Tutorial Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10
    I've had to do a similar recovery as of this morning but I've set my Feature and Quality updates to maximum and the Network to metered. This is only a test m/c but it's all rather tiresome.
    Hopefully MS will update the update at some stage.

    UPDATE:..........

    Windows Defender's automatic update applies the necessary Registry fix, by the way, paving the way for KB4056892 to install,


    For my errant AMD PC, restored it to an earlier build (
    16299.19) via Macrium and it worked perfectly until I allowed KB4056892 to install, when the whole cycle starts again. So, the version of KB4056892 that's currently available still stops some AMD PCs from booting.

    I did allow some updates through, so presently the PC is at OS Build 16299.125. I've made another Macrium image of that and have set
    Set Feature update delay 365 days
    Quality update delay 30 days
    Network METERED

    That'll stop it!

    @Steve C post above is another way of permanently stopping it but I'm hoping that MS will pull the bad update and that the next CU will work on both Intel and AMD...but then I always was an optimist
    Last edited by VBF; 13 Jan 2018 at 10:41.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #7
      My Computers


  8. VBF
    Posts : 593
    Win 10 Pro
       #8

    @Tony K
    THAT's the one that causes all the problems! Please see my post #6 above
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #9

    VBF said:
    @Tony K
    THAT's the one that causes all the problems! Please see my post #6 above
    Yes, I see you updated the post. I posted that news thread for the warning in it that Brink has highlighted in red. That is all. Just making sure everyone sees that. Perhaps I should've mentioned it.

    Thing is too, the kb installed on my older AMD tower. I'm not understanding what would be the difference of one older AMD over another. Not that knowledgeable to know. Must have to do with the BIOS version I would guess.
      My Computers


  10. VBF
    Posts : 593
    Win 10 Pro
       #10

    Tony K said:
    Yes, I see you updated the post. I posted that news thread for the warning in it that Brink has highlighted in red. That is all. Just making sure everyone sees that. Perhaps I should've mentioned it.

    Thing is too, the kb installed on my older AMD tower. I'm not understanding what would be the difference of one older AMD over another. Not that knowledgeable to know. Must have to do with the BIOS version I would guess.
    Indeed....

    I'm having a parallel conversation here Windows OS security update block for some AMD based devices - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums in which I've said "also This MS article may be worth keeping an eye on."
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums