Windows 10: How do I stop my laptop from trying update Windows 10?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    08 Jan 2018 #1

    How do I stop my laptop from trying update Windows 10?


    My laptop, HP 620 running Windows 10 Pro, keeps trying to update then fails. Windows update assistant insists on downloading the latest version of Windows 10 (I'm currently at version 1511). Ever time it tries to update, it locks up at 81%. Then I have to manually restart and roll back to the previous version.
    I have used Microsoft's live chat to try to sort it out, unsuccessfully, leaving the laptop unable to roll back. Fortunately, I had an image backup.
    The laptop must have downloaded the update, and failed to install, at least 50 times. I'm fed up of it. I just want it to stop trying to update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       08 Jan 2018 #2

    Hello, AlanPL. Welcome to Windows TenForums. You may want to try this:

    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 31,050
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       08 Jan 2018 #3

    AlanPL said: View Post
    My laptop, HP 620 running Windows 10 Pro, keeps trying to update then fails. Windows update assistant insists on downloading the latest version of Windows 10 (I'm currently at version 1511). Ever time it tries to update, it locks up at 81%. Then I have to manually restart and roll back to the previous version.
    I have used Microsoft's live chat to try to sort it out, unsuccessfully, leaving the laptop unable to roll back. Fortunately, I had an image backup.
    The laptop must have downloaded the update, and failed to install, at least 50 times. I'm fed up of it. I just want it to stop trying to update.
    @AlanPL

    As a side note, whatever your reasons for wanting to avoid/stop updating to the latest Windows version, you should be aware that version 1511 is no longer supported and will not receive any updates, including security updates.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...curity-updates
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    08 Jan 2018 #4

    Tony K said: View Post
    Hello, AlanPL. Welcome to Windows TenForums. You may want to try this:

    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    Thanks Tony. I can’t remember if I’ve tried this already, but I’ll give it another go.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Jan 2018 #5

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    @AlanPL

    As a side note, whatever your reasons for wanting to avoid/stop updating to the latest Windows version, you should be aware that version 1511 is no longer supported and will not receive any updates, including security updates.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...curity-updates
    Noted, but I don’t think I have any other option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       08 Jan 2018 #6

    AlanPL said: View Post
    Thanks Tony. I can’t remember if I’ve tried this already, but I’ll give it another go.
    You're welcome, Alan. I take it this is an older laptop? If so, it may not be updating because of an outdated BIOS and/or some drivers. You may want to look on the HP site below to make sure you have the latest.

    HP 620 Notebook PC | HP® Customer Support
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 5,394
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       08 Jan 2018 #7

    AlanPL said: View Post
    Noted, but I don’t think I have any other option.
    The other option is to not let the update assistant try to update it, but to download the ISO and manually perform an in-place upgrade yourself. It's often the more reliable way.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,665
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators Update
       09 Jan 2018 #8

    Install Windows 7

    But, you are so far behind, you should make an image and try a clean install of the Creators Update.

    Or download the CU Iso file and launch it from within windows, update it that way, it will probably work.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 14,112
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       09 Jan 2018 #9

    Please run this log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting.
    log collector v2-beta06.zip

    Open the HP website > support and drivers > enter the computer's product or serial number > post the URL or hyperlink into the thread.

    Download and install Everything:
    voidtools
    The software will index everything on the drives.
    The search method is a lot more efficient than Windows.
    The software can be set to start on boot or to launch when you need it.
    As you type a character there will be instantaneous results.
    The more characters you type the narrower the search results.

    When there is a failed windows upgrade the upgrade failure can be troubleshooted by viewing the Panther logs.

    Search for each of these folders and files.
    Use one drive or drop box to post files into the thread for troubleshooting.

    C:\Windows\Panther
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    BlueBox.log
    Event logs (*.evtx)
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx
    $Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\UnattendGC
    miglog.xml
    Windows\Logs\Mosetup
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 583
    Windows 10
       10 Jan 2018 #10

    I'm far from convinced there is any problem, or lockup, it can stay on 81% for sometime.
    I would leave it for at least an hour, or even a day before interrupting it.

    Also make sure certain prerequisites are done before it's all in MS help and probably on here as well.

    These are version replacements i.e. the whole Windows install is replaced, on mine it takes 4 to 5 hours in all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Temporarily stop Windows Update in Windows Updates and Activation
Is there simple procedure to temporarily stop the “Auto Windows Update” while I am working with the computer?
How to stop Windows Update hardware driver update in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi, I see that in the Anniversary I can't no more AVOID the automatic search and download of drivers. I want to STOP this, I want myself to choice my driver and update them. I read that in "gpedit.msc" > "Windows Update" > "Do not include...
I've legit tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. My laptop screen refuses to stop turning off. I've changed all my power options to Never for timeouts, for plugged in and not plugged in. I've went to the advanced settings for my power...
My laptop wont stop speaking in General Support
While trying to help my husband fix his sound issue on his laptop I hit the windows key and I and enter believing that it would open the control panel. It didn't. I now have sound out of a headset but every time I touch anything a voice is speaking...
Hello. Plz help me!! I have windows 8.1 and I DON'T want windows 10. It is already downloading. I can see green downloading bar in windows update. I had w10 but it was so buggy that I don't want it again. How do I stop is downloading? Plz help, I'm...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:03.
Find Us