Windows 10: Move an activated Windows 10 to new owner - How to?

  1.    29 Dec 2017 #1

    Move an activated Windows 10 to new owner - How to?


    I have inherited a laptop with an activated windows 10 Home. Now I want to delete the dead owners account, and put myself as admin of this laptop. But how do I do that? The license for this windows 10 is tied to his Microsoft account?
    Is it possible to move this digital license to my Microsoft account? If so, how do I do that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 10,668
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       29 Dec 2017 #2

    You could switch to local account and later to a new ms account.

    to local switch-local-account-windows-10

    back to ms 5375-switch-microsoft-account-windows-10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Dec 2017 #3

    If you reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, it should automatically activate and you'll be happier with the performance. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation tool at: Download Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Dec 2017 #4

    The PC has the licence... irrespective of the dead.

    The "tied to MSA" is not licencing related.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Dec 2017 #5

    I HAVE clean installed windows 10, but in order to activate it, I had to log in to the dead owners account!! I tried to log in to my account at first, but then windows wrote that I had to buy a new license! I then reinstalled again, and this time I used the dead owners account, and it activated right away. I don't have a cd-key, only the digital license.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Dec 2017 #6

    Burgurne said: View Post
    I HAVE clean installed windows 10, but in order to activate it, I had to log in to the dead owners account!! I tried to log in to my account at first, but then windows wrote that I had to buy a new license! I then reinstalled again, and this time I used the dead owners account, and it activated right away. I don't have a cd-key, only the digital license.
    Simply create a new account in accounts settings and create a local account, choose whatever name you want and make it an admin account, reboot and login to that, then delete original account, and optionally change your account to MS account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Dec 2017 #7

    Burgurne said: View Post
    I HAVE clean installed windows 10, but in order to activate it, I had to log in to the dead owners account!! I tried to log in to my account at first, but then windows wrote that I had to buy a new license! I then reinstalled again, and this time I used the dead owners account, and it activated right away. I don't have a cd-key, only the digital license.
    Strange... the only time the MSA login is required is when hardware has changed... user accounts are not tied to licencing, never has been.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Dec 2017 #8

    Superfly said: View Post
    Strange... the only time the MSA login is required is when hardware has changed... user accounts are not tied to licencing, never has been.
    I've logged in with a local account on clean installs, skip key entry, activated no problem with a Digital License. It just shows as "Activated with a Digital License". Then when I switch to a Microsoft Account it adds the "Linked to your Microsoft account" part. To the best of my knowledge what account is used has nothing to do with activation. It's the hardware that's checked. Are you sure you installed the correct Edition the first time?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Dec 2017 #9

    Yep. In both cases I installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit, and I did it the same way, answered "I have no CD-key" during install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    30 Dec 2017 #10

    I am 1 for 2 on activating a digital license on a clean install of 1709 without linking a MS account. One activated automatically on a local account; the other had to be linked. No hardware changes on either machine.

    So there's some other factor that the activation servers are looking at besides the hardware hash. Luckily you can convert a linked user back to a local user after the activation goes through.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Add View Owner to Context Menu in Windows An owner is assigned to an object when that object is created. By default, the owner is the creator of the object. No matter what permissions are set on an object, the owner of the object can...
By default, Windows 10 is installed with the registered owner as "Windows User" and an empty organization name for the PC. Since many apps you install will reference and use the registered owner and organization of the PC, you may need to change...
Upgraded Windows 10 computer going to new owner in User Accounts and Family Safety
Getting a new computer and husband will get this one. How do I go about changing the sign in so it has no 'connection' with my new one. I want him to have his own Microsoft account. Would switching to Local Account and then back to Microsoft...
Hi guys, I just upgraded from win7 to win10. Smooth upgrade, but I noticed all my textfiles on my desktop and sticky notes from win7 disappeared. So I decided to restart my pc. What I noticed is on the bottom right of the screen as I reboot, it says...
Hello, I have Windows 10 Pro Retail (Upgraded from Win 7 Pro Retail) currently installed in desktop I wish to sell. The issue is that the buyer is not interested in purchasing the OS so I will be removing the SSD it is currently installed on. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12.
Find Us