Windows Feature Update doesn't restart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
       #1

    Windows Feature Update doesn't restart.


    So, this notification pops out at the bottom right of my screen...



    Since I have nothing in particular I want to do, I close and save all my work, and click "Restart now"

    The notification disappears, but the computer does not restart. About an hour goes by, and the notification pops up. I click "Restart now" again, but this time. I restart the computer myself.

    The computer restarts, but gives none of the usual indications of updating (the tail chaser icon, the slowly increasing % count etc). Within a couple of hours of restart, the notification is back.

    What gives?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 39,995
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    In the left lower corner type: winver > about windows will pop up > post an image into the thread.
    In the left lower corner type windows update >click check for updates > click update history > post an image into the thread
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4,224
    Windows 10
       #3

    I've experienced this once or twice on one or more of my Win10 PCs, but have never been able to figure out the cause. In every such case, however, the scheduled restart went off and the system reverted to what passes for normal behavior after that. I'm curious to know if you'll have a similar experience in this case. Please follow up, and let us know!
    Thanks,
    --Ed--
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #4

    zbook said:
    In the left lower corner type: winver > about windows will pop up > post an image into the thread.


    zbook said:
    In the left lower corner type windows update >click check for updates > click update history > post an image into the thread
    Nothing happens when I type "windows update" no window pops up or opens, but a program called "WindowsUpdateElevatedInstaller.exe" appears at the top of the search results list.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    smartcooky said:
    You don't seem to have been able to post the screenshot successfully (dropbox sharing permissions?). I have managed to follow the broken link to the dropbox image and can see that it says: Windows 10 Home, version 1709, os build 16299.125.

    That is the Fall Creators Update with the latest cumulative update installed. You are fully up to date.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Bree said:
    You don't seem to have been able to post the screenshot successfully (dropbox sharing permissions?). I have managed to follow the broken link to the dropbox image and can see that it says: Windows 10 Home, version 1709, os build 16299.125.

    That is the Fall Creators Update with the latest cumulative update installed. You are fully up to date.

    1. I can see the screenshot image, both in my post, and in your post where you have quoted me, and even when logged out. I can even see it on my phone..

    2. Cool, so if I am fully up to date, why does windows keep prompting me to update... did it again this morning, after I posted the OP
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 39,995
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #7

    See if you can open and post an image of windows update history.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #8

    zbook said:
    See if you can open and post an image of windows update history.

    This?

      My Computers


  9. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #9

    smartcooky said:
    This?

    @smartcooky, I'm still not seeing the images you are posting. This one at Dropbox - W10UH.png just shows as a broken image placeholder. Not only that, but there's a ?dl=1 at the end of the URL for the image that forces it to be 'download-only' even after you've looked at the properties (as I did) to find out its address.

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums


    Edit: apparently not all browsers have this problem. For example, I can see it in Edge, but not in IE. It must be the '?dl=1' bit that's causing this problem.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Bree said:
    @smartcooky, I'm still not seeing the images you are posting. This one at Dropbox - W10UH.png just shows as a broken image placeholder. Not only that, but there's a ?dl=1 at the end of the URL for the image that forces it to be 'download-only' even after you've looked at the properties (as I did) to find out its address.

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums


    Edit: apparently not all browsers have this problem. For example, I can see it in Edge, but not in IE. It must be the '?dl=1' bit that's causing this problem.

    On dropbox we are told to change dl=0 to dl=1 to get it to view as a hotlink. This works in Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari (on a Mac)

    How about this... can you see this (using "raw=1" instead of "dl=1")

      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums