Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    02 Jul 2017 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 60
    win10 insider

    Anyone know if MS are addressing Insider build upgrade issues?


    I have been an Insider since its inception. Until a few months ago I never once had an issue with an upgrade. Now it is a continuous cycle of fast ring upgrade failures for me and judging by the number of posts by others across a whole range of forums, it is a growing and serious problem.

    Microsoft can not be unaware of this yet have remained silent, offering only simplistic boilerplate solutions which never work.

    Can some organisation with a bit of clout not grill Microsoft and let us know why their engineers seem unable to solve this problem which has recurred for the last half dozen fast ring updates?

    I am on 16199 now only because I reinstalled an earlier ISO and went through the upgrade process from there. I don't intend to repeat that exercise as reinstalling all my software, their settings and configurations and updates is a royal pain.

    On that point, is it beyond MS to devise a way to replace the operating system and then reinstall the user's software? It used to be done I believe in the good old days!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Jul 2017 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,865
    Windows10

    Well of course they will be addressing it.

    The most reliable way seems to be to be installing it in a virtual machine (I think because the vm drivers are well established, and hence install is less 'hardware' reliant.

    Then create an iso to upgrade host., or do as I do below:-

    I use hyper-v and upgrade with a vhdx file, then simply add a boot host entry to vhdx file. Very first time you access vhdx file, it updates the host specific drivers, but remembers them after each build upgrade.

    If you do not have pro, you can create a dual boot pc with Pro (or install in virtual hard drive). It does not need to be activated) so you can use Insider versions in Hyper-V.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Jul 2017 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 60
    win10 insider
    Thread Starter

    cereberus
    Well of course they will be addressing it.


    From my point of view, as this has been going for most of 2017 for six or so builds, it seems MS are NOT addressing it. That is my point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Jul 2017 #4
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,865
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by brianwall View Post
    cereberus
    Well of course they will be addressing it.


    From my point of view, as this has been going for most of 2017 for six or so builds, it seems MS are NOT addressing it. That is my point.
    The point of Insiders is they have bugs and it takes time to fix them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Jul 2017 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by brianwall View Post
    I have been an Insider since its inception. Until a few months ago I never once had an issue with an upgrade. Now it is a continuous cycle of fast ring upgrade failures for me and judging by the number of posts by others across a whole range of forums, it is a growing and serious problem.

    Microsoft can not be unaware of this yet have remained silent, offering only simplistic boilerplate solutions which never work.

    Can some organisation with a bit of clout not grill Microsoft and let us know why their engineers seem unable to solve this problem which has recurred for the last half dozen fast ring updates?

    I am on 16199 now only because I reinstalled an earlier ISO and went through the upgrade process from there. I don't intend to repeat that exercise as reinstalling all my software, their settings and configurations and updates is a royal pain.

    On that point, is it beyond MS to devise a way to replace the operating system and then reinstall the user's software? It used to be done I believe in the good old days!
    First of all, there is no "organization" that is going to take Microsoft to task for releasing buggy insider builds. That's the point of insider builds.

    Second, other than the issues described in the release notes for each build, I've seen very few problems upgrading builds.

    However, there comes a point, after many upgrades, that the system starts to get a little wonky and you pretty much have to do a clean install. That's just to be expected because insider builds are not fully tested, and therefore they sometimes leave old gunk behind in the registry or as files.

    I just did a clean install on my main rig, which I haven't clean installed in over a year. If you're going to be in the insiders, you have to expect the occasional self-destructing upgrade. And once your system has become unstable, future upgrades will also be unstable until you do a clean install. That's pretty much the way of the insider.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Jul 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 60
    win10 insider
    Thread Starter

    You are missing the point possibly by saying the point of an Insider build is to iron out the bugs. Whilst that is patently true, it won't be any use if we can't install the next build!

    This isn't a bug in the Insider build but a bug in the installation routine which is as far as I know, specially designed for Insider builds and not representative of how retail upgrades will work.

    So it is right and proper to point out the installer bug to MS surely? And it is a major problem as seen by so many posts on so many forums and social media sites.

    I am full prepared for dealing with bugs once a build is installed. That's why I'm an Insider and have been since inception.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Jul 2017 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    No, it's not. And no, the upgrade is not any different between insider builds and retail builds. The retail build upgrade, however, is far more thoroughly tested. Upgrades from one insider build to another won't be as thoroughly tested, and therefore problems are more likely to occur.

    As I said. Do a clean install if you start having upgrade problems. MS is not going to spend any significant energy on tracking down bugs from one insider build to another.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Jul 2017 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,865
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    No, it's not. And no, the upgrade is not any different between insider builds and retail builds. The retail build upgrade, however, is far more thoroughly tested. Upgrades from one insider build to another won't be as thoroughly tested, and therefore problems are more likely to occur.

    As I said. Do a clean install if you start having upgrade problems. MS is not going to spend any significant energy on tracking down bugs from one insider build to another.
    Ultimately, as Harry S T said "if you cannot stand the heat, get out of the fire"!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Jul 2017 #9
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 60
    win10 insider
    Thread Starter

    Dissapointed


    As the upgrade install routines are broken as seems to be the consensus, then it logical that this be given priority to fix surely? Without a fix, a large number of insiders will be excluded. I have lost count of the number of upgrade problems on all the forums I visit - it is not a minor problem. And if as claimed, the routine is identical to that used for the retail version then that makes it even more urgent.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    04 Jul 2017 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 342
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by brianwall View Post
    As the upgrade install routines are broken as seems to be the consensus, then it logical that this be given priority to fix surely? Without a fix, a large number of insiders will be excluded. I have lost count of the number of upgrade problems on all the forums I visit - it is not a minor problem. And if as claimed, the routine is identical to that used for the retail version then that makes it even more urgent.
    Have you gone to the Feedback Hub to report your concerns?
    I have been a part of the insiders program since the beginning and have had no major issues upgrading on three systems that weren't caused by a conflict with a third party program. The last being Acronis TI 2017. Once I removed it temporarily, the upgrade proceeded normally.
    However, I have missed a couple upgrades along the way because of timing so there may have been other issues with upgrading. I can't say for those.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved When Insider build upgrade fails - A Workaround
OK geeks, this is if not a solution but at least a workaround to get upgrade done when it fails whatever you do. I apologize for the length of this post; as the workaround involves some elements not familiar to all users I decided to post this with...
Windows Insider
Here are the known issues in Windows 10 Insider Redstone Preview build
Here are the known issues in Windows 10 Insider Redstone Preview build 14295 It wouldn’t be a Friday without a new Windows 10 Insider build, or so it seems sometimes. Build 14295 was released this morning, and although it didn’t introduce any new...
Windows 10 News
Insider Build 10565 Stability Issues on Surface 3
Anyone having stability issues with Build 10565? My Surface 3 was rock-stable under RTM, but since installing the latest Insider Preview build I've had a random lockup and now a blue screen - both within seconds of resuming from sleep. RCK
Windows Insider
How to upgrade to latest build on insider preview
Am currently using Windows 10 Insider Preview. Build 10074 shows on right side of screen. Have updated Windows through settings. Am I using the latest build?
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:32.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums