When Insider build upgrade fails - A Workaround

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 520
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
       #11

    I got the System Welcome screen.
      My Computers

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #12

    OK thanks.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 300
    W10 Pro x64. W10 Pro x64 Fast Insider Preview
       #13

    Yes, I disabled all user accounts except Dummy1, using Local Groups. And deleted the multi boot entries. I also received the "Welcome to Windows" screen.
      My Computers

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #14

    lmod said:
    Yes, I disabled all user accounts except Dummy1, using Local Groups. And deleted the multi boot entries. I also received the "Welcome to Windows" screen.
    I am terribly sorry guys. I can't understand this: I've run three more tests today, one on each laptop, tablet and Hyper-V vm, restoring a Macrium image which I know gi9ves a Windows setup which fails to upgrade, and then gone from there. Again all three successful.

    I will continue testing.
      My Computer

  5. Fisher Mann's Avatar
    Posts : 477
    Win 10 Pro x64 19645 Fast
       #15

    I had to back out of it. Got hung up on the path to the ISO file in Sys32 (had it in "Users"). Tried every combination of command line combos and as close as I could get was file not recognized. Will possibly try again tomorrow.
      My Computers

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Fisher Mann said:
    I had to back out of it. Got hung up on the path to the ISO file in Sys32 (had it in "Users"). Tried every combination of command line combos and as close as I could get was file not recognized. Will possibly try again tomorrow.
    Do not place the upgrade ISO in any system folder, including Users or a user profile folder.
      My Computer

  7. Fisher Mann's Avatar
    Posts : 477
    Win 10 Pro x64 19645 Fast
       #17

    Kari said:
    Do not place the upgrade ISO in any system folder, including Users or a user profile folder.
    OH @###$%#@@!!!!. I thought I had read "such as Users" GEEESH! was I ever wrong. My BAD!
      My Computers

  8. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Happens to all of us every now and then :)

    The point is to prevent any permission issues.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 72
    windows 10 Insider Preview 16179
       #19

    Kari,

    I am a little confused about "Step 1 Make an ISO from upgrade files". Since the update has failed would it not be too late to access the files in Software Distribution or because it failed is it like that restart never happened?

    Danny R
      My Computer

  10. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #20

    djrobison22 said:
    Kari,

    I am a little confused about "Step 1 Make an ISO from upgrade files". Since the update has failed would it not be too late to access the files in Software Distribution or because it failed is it like that restart never happened?

    Danny R
    No, the files are there even when upgrade fails.

    That being said, I naturally assume that any Insider makes an ISO even before restarting to upgrade, when upgrade files have been downloaded. If upgrade then fails the ISO is already there.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums