Windows 10: build 10158, do you absolutely have to sign in to a microsoft account

  1.    30 Jun 2015 #1

    build 10158, do you absolutely have to sign in to a microsoft account


    in build 10158, do you absotuely have to sign in to a microsoft account to get future updates??

    you didn't have to do that the whole time until this build

    you could just sign off after you get the update though, right??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jun 2015 #2

    "Your Microsoft account requires attention to get insider builds"

    "Fix me"

    ???

    is that only for core builds, and not minor updates like windows defender updates?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jun 2015 #3

    Yes, you absolutely have to to keep getting builds.

    The reason is that Microsoft is preparing for RTM, and the only way they can keep RTM and Insider updates separate is by using your MSA to identify you as an insider, otherwise Windows just treats you like everyone else.

    You didn't have to do it before because there were no people running Windows 10 that weren't insiders, you were assumed to be one, so all builds would get new builds. But now that we're going to have a final release with non-insiders that don't want insider builds, this is necessary if you want to stay in the program.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 605
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       30 Jun 2015 #4

    nfurn9tt049thur said: View Post
    "Your Microsoft account requires attention to get insider builds"

    "Fix me"

    ???

    is that only for core builds, and not minor updates like windows defender updates?
    I have started a thread on this. It is for builds, not simple updates. But my update system is all dazed and confused now, telling me what I have to 'fix' to stop receiving builds, when I never asked to stop receiving builds. Oh, it just changed. Now it says I need my account requires attention to continue receiving builds. When I click on the Fix button, it tells me what I need to do the STOP receiving builds. It's a bloody mess. I expect 10158 is my last build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    14 Aug 2015 #5

    Mystere said: View Post
    Yes, you absolutely have to to keep getting builds.

    The reason is that Microsoft is preparing for RTM, and the only way they can keep RTM and Insider updates separate is by using your MSA to identify you as an insider, otherwise Windows just treats you like everyone else.

    You didn't have to do it before because there were no people running Windows 10 that weren't insiders, you were assumed to be one, so all builds would get new builds. But now that we're going to have a final release with non-insiders that don't want insider builds, this is necessary if you want to stay in the program.
    thanks for the unnecessary but helpful info --> can i install build updates on multiple computers with one sign in address?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.   My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       14 Aug 2015 #7

    I used a local account until I got it activated, I could get in no problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Aug 2015 #8

    so how i get it activated...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    19 Aug 2015 #9

    solved -- how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    also as an aside, what are ppl's incentives to (inefficiently) help others on these forums?? i dont understand, i have way better things to do
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       19 Aug 2015 #10

    nfurn9tt049thur said: View Post
    solved -- how can i check win10 to see if i have a geniue product key??? does - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

    also as an aside, what are ppl's incentives to (inefficiently) help others on these forums?? i dont understand, i have way better things to do
    How many threads are you going to ask the same question in? If you don't know the answer, I doubt anyone can explain it to you. If you think we are so "inefficient", why are you here?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Sign in to Store with Different Microsoft Account in Windows 10 The Windows Store offers various apps that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download and install to their Microsoft account in Windows 10 PCs and...
Build 10158 Cannot switch to MS ACCOUNT in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hi there I can't switch to an MS account on build 10158 (means I can't get build 10159 update). The option sign in with Ms account is greyed out. Any ideas please. Cheers jimbo
Hi there I notice on build 10166 after a re-boot the icons / texts etc are TINY on a large monitor unless I SIGN OUT and SIGN back in again --not shutdown / restart but use the ALT-CTRL-DEL to get the Lock menu. Choose sign out and then sign back...
If I do not use a Microsoft Account, I can sign in with a PIN. If I connect the Microsoft Account, I am not able to use the PIN to sign in. Also I cannot access the Feedback app since it says I have to be signed in -- but i am able to Sign In to...
Oh bother... I'm running Windows 10 9879 in VMWare Workstation 10, this the third build that has this problem. I cannot and it will not let me sign into my Microsoft Account to start out with. The error code only seems to pertain to some Windows...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49.
Find Us