Windows 10: Returning to Redstone 1 from Redstone 2 without a clean install?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    02 Jan 2017 #1

    Returning to Redstone 1 from Redstone 2 without a clean install?


    Howdy, I checked the pinned FAQ but couldn't see anything specifically related to this (apologies if I'm blind!) I'm currently on 14986 as I jumped onto insider builds because I was having a few problems with windows, the problems are resolved but now I'm getting more problems from 14986 which seems a bit unstable so I'd like to return to Redstone 1 but wonder if it's possible in anyway and still keep all of my installed programs and settings etc? Seems unlikely but figured I'd ask!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    02 Jan 2017 #2

    Would a so-called in-place upgrade repair install serve, using the appropriate Windows build?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    02 Jan 2017 #3

    Placebo said: View Post
    Howdy, I checked the pinned FAQ but couldn't see anything specifically related to this (apologies if I'm blind!) I'm currently on 14986 as I jumped onto insider builds because I was having a few problems with windows, the problems are resolved but now I'm getting more problems from 14986 which seems a bit unstable so I'd like to return to Redstone 1 but wonder if it's possible in anyway and still keep all of my installed programs and settings etc? Seems unlikely but figured I'd ask!
    Not possible. It is strongly recommended that you do not use Insider versions (especially Fast Ring) as your main OS. I always dual boot or use a vm.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    02 Jan 2017 #4

    dalchina said: View Post
    Would a so-called in-place upgrade repair install serve, using the appropriate Windows build?
    Interesting question - it might work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    02 Jan 2017 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    Would a so-called in-place upgrade repair install serve, using the appropriate Windows build?
    I'll look into it thanks

    cereberus said: View Post
    It is strongly recommended that you do not use Insider versions (especially Fast Ring) as your main OS.
    I used a slow ring insider version but of course you're right it should never be the main OS, unless in this instance you're tired of banging your head on the desk resolving the issues you're having, I'd reached the point where there were two options, insider version or completely clean install and I didn't have the energy for the latter at that point!

    Thanks for the replies
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    02 Jan 2017 #6

    Placebo said: View Post
    I'll look into it thanks

    Trying it myself in a vm for my own education - I'll report back.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    02 Jan 2017 #7

    cereberus said: View Post
    Trying it myself in a vm for my own education - I'll report back.
    Excellent thanks!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    02 Jan 2017 #8

    Placebo said: View Post


    I used a slow ring insider version
    What was interesting is they pushed 14986 to Slow Ring only a week after Fast Ring. This is not normal as they usually wait a few weeks to see if relatively stable on Fast Ring before adopting as a Slow Ring release.

    Unclear why they did this but I suspect it was because a lot of people had issues with the new method of delivering upgrades (I could not get it to work unitil I downloaded the Slow Ring iso).

    By all accounts, this release is probably one of the less stable ones and really was pushed to Slow Ring too quickly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    02 Jan 2017 #9

    Placebo said: View Post
    Excellent thanks!

    No it does not work.

    See below.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017_01_02_17_04_181.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	115661
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    02 Jan 2017 #10

    Yeah that's what I got when I downloaded the official ISO and mounted it
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I am still running Win10 Pro (November Update 1511), and I am waiting for Redstone 1 (stable release) to roll out. I think its planned in January of 2017, I am not sure. Anyways, I did a clean install of Win10 Pro version 1511 using by license...
14393.0/1607 I'm not able to delete Bing and some other apps using the dedicated command lines in Powershell and/or Powershell_ISE. Can someone help? I saw here that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue (did not try that link):...
Insider Redstone Wave 2 comes. :) in Windows 10 News
Redstone Wave 2 Comes! ;) 729658592769486848 729659443147845632 729659715102322688 Source: 729657326848745474
Read more: First sign of OneDrive placeholders returning appears in Redstone build
Yesterday a few insiders saw a development branch selector show up on their WU settings. There was/is a new branch, rs1_release, and looks like that's where the next insider build will drop from. Are you excited?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:33.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums