Windows 10: Rejoining Insider Program Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    13 Dec 2016 #1

    Rejoining Insider Program


    I was in the Insider program for nearly a year, and then dropped out because I tired of keeping up with the changes.

    But now that I've been out, I continue to follow the program and have seen some really interesting changes coming out recently -- and would like to rejoin the program.

    So, I have a couple of questions that current Insiders might be able to answer:

    1) How do I go about rejoining?

    2) I am running the latest "released" version of Win10 on my desktop -- and don't want to compromise that in any way.

    If I install the latest Insider version on a separate disk, will that affect my ability to continue using the "released" version in any way? Asking because I use that daily, and don't want anything (like deactivation) to happen to it.

    Thanks in advance for any help ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,061
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       13 Dec 2016 #2

    Welcome back Mark
    Make a copy on a separate disk...then re-join insider on one, and keep the other as build 1607.
    Better still if you replace your standard disc holder with a two disc quick swop holder to save stripping the computer to change each in turn.
    I recommend Vantec NextStar SE Dual 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Rack.
    Open Settings...Update and Security... to rejoin Insider....click on rectangle as shown in attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sett.png  
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    13 Dec 2016 #3

    dencal said: View Post
    Welcome back Mark
    Make a copy on a separate disk...then re-join insider on one, and keep the other as build 1607.
    Better still if you replace your standard disc holder with a two disc quick swop holder to save stripping the computer to change each in turn.
    I recommend Vantec NextStar SE Dual 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Rack.
    Open Settings...Update and Security... to rejoin Insider....click on rectangle as shown in attachment.
    OK, so let me be sure I understand what you're saying ...

    1) I should make a copy of my current "released" install on another disk.

    2) Then, I rejoin the Insider program

    So then, the copy will get regular updates because it's an Insider version, right?

    But, HOW do I rejoin the Insider program? I'm asking because I've read about folks wanting to join the program NOW, and they can't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Dec 2016 #4

    dencal said: View Post
    Better still if you replace your standard disc holder with a two disc quick swop holder to save stripping the computer to change each in turn.
    Seems to me that dual booting with a permanently installed second hard drive would be a whole lot easier....

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    But, HOW do I rejoin the Insider program? I'm asking because I've read about folks wanting to join the program NOW, and they can't.
    You should be able to join the insider program through settings - updates & security, but I am not at a Windows 10 computer right now.

    or here:
    Home page - Windows Insider Program
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,061
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       13 Dec 2016 #5

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    OK, so let me be sure I understand what you're saying ...

    1) I should make a copy of my current "released" install on another disk.

    2) Then, I rejoin the Insider program

    So then, the copy will get regular updates because it's an Insider version, right?

    But, HOW do I rejoin the Insider program? I'm asking because I've read about folks wanting to join the program NOW, and they can't.
    M$ have a footprint on your motherboard...a legitimate Windows O/S on your computer it is recognised.
    Answering your questions.
    1) Yes
    2) Yes, will qualify for regular updates.

    You can also permanently dual boot as described by NavyLCDR.......Myself I prefer quick swopping
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    13 Dec 2016 #6

    I believe if you want to dual boot with version 1607 & latest insider version, you will need a 2nd licence in order to do so. I was looking to dual boot & also run latest insider version & this is what i believe to be the case after researching it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2,061
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       13 Dec 2016 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Seems to me that dual booting with a permanently installed second hard drive would be a whole lot easier....
    A quick swop setup is permanent yet completely separate.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2,061
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       13 Dec 2016 #8

    AthanasianCreed said: View Post
    I believe if you want to dual boot with version 1607 & latest insider version, you will need a 2nd licence in order to do so. I was looking to dual boot & also run latest insider version & this is what i believe to be the case after researching it.
    Your above statement was the reason I went for a quick swop system because of conflicts dual booting that I encountered.
    Am successfully running both Insider and Release Build 1607 as described above on same computer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    13 Dec 2016 #9

    AthanasianCreed said: View Post
    I believe if you want to dual boot with version 1607 & latest insider version, you will need a 2nd licence in order to do so. I was looking to dual boot & also run latest insider version & this is what i believe to be the case after researching it.
    Nope. Need to read the EULA for the insider version. Not only the insider version have it's own license, but it's license allows multiple copies to be installed. When you install the insider build you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the insider build's license - not the Windows 10 released license terms and conditions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,061
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       13 Dec 2016 #10

    In case anyone interested this quick swop drive can be bought in USA at Newegg.
    This just replaces existing single drive as both are same size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-12-13_21h30_57.png  
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Windows Update & Activation Change Windows 10 Insider Program Ring Level in Tutorials
How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your Windows 10 PC If you set to get Insider Preview builds on your Windows 10 PC, then you can choose your Insider level to be a ring below for how soon new Insider preview builds will be made available...
How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on Windows 10 Mobile Phone If you joined the Windows Insider Program on your Windows 10 Mobile phone, then you will get the latest Insider preview builds for your phone. You can choose your Insider level...
Should the Windows Insider Program be replaced with the Microsoft Insider Program? Gabe tweeted this: 661245233624055809
insider program in Windows Insider
I'm on the insider program. Can I move it to another Computer ? If so how? I want to sell my old test computer.
MS Insider Program in Windows Insider
Hi, I've installed Win10 TP in VM player yesterday, received the security code from MS, 10 was activated. I'm not a PC expert or an IT pro, do I need to join the insider program to receive build updates? I have sent some feedback already when I was...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23.
Find Us