Windows 10: Build 14371 and 14372 Anomoly .b8527aa Solved

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 12,158
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       24 Jun 2016 #1

    Build 14371 and 14372 Anomoly .b8527aa


    I seem to have something no one else has, but need to find an answer, if at all possible.

    With Build 14371, I got one of those "How do you want to open this file?" messages. I tried to get a snippet of it, but no way. The minute I clicked on the Snipping Tool, it disappeared. So, I can only describe what came up:

    How do you want to open this file?

    Look for an app in the Store

    More apps (with a down arrow)

    Always use this app to open .b8527aa files

    I chose the down arrow and then chose Word. From that point, every time I booted, I got:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HowOpen.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	86675

    Simrick and I worked with it last night, changed it to Notepad and got:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b8527aa in Notepad.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	86676

    We searched with Google and Bing, but neither could find anything related to .b8527aa or the full name of adedcb.b8527aa.

    What I've also Done

    1. Ran sfc /scannow three times with a reboot between each scan. Nothing was found.

    2. Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth. Nothing was found.

    3. Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth. Nothing was found.

    It just occurred to me that I should run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I'll do that after this message is posted.

    Do any of you have any other suggestions?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    24 Jun 2016 #2

    Will just add here that the file is located at appdata-roaming sub-folder named acf0a6.
    Something is calling this file at each boot, but nothing shows in Startup tasks that I could find.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 18,659
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       24 Jun 2016 #3

    Wynona said: View Post
    I seem to have something no one else has, but need to find an answer, if at all possible.

    With Build 14371, I got one of those "How do you want to open this file?" messages. I tried to get a snippet of it, but no way. The minute I clicked on the Snipping Tool, it disappeared. So, I can only describe what came up:

    How do you want to open this file?

    Look for an app in the Store

    More apps (with a down arrow)

    Always use this app to open .b8527aa files

    I chose the down arrow and then chose Word. From that point, every time I booted, I got:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HowOpen.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	86675

    Simrick and I worked with it last night, changed it to Notepad and got:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b8527aa in Notepad.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	86676

    We searched with Google and Bing, but neither could find anything related to .b8527aa or the full name of adedcb.b8527aa.

    What I've also Done

    1. Ran sfc /scannow three times with a reboot between each scan. Nothing was found.

    2. Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth. Nothing was found.

    3. Ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth. Nothing was found.

    It just occurred to me that I should run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I'll do that after this message is posted.

    Do any of you have any other suggestions?
    Can you change that to Unicode-8 instead of Western?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 12,158
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       24 Jun 2016 #4

    simrick said: View Post
    Will just add here that the file is located at appdata-roaming sub-folder named acf0a6.
    Something is calling this file at each boot, but nothing shows in Startup tasks that I could find.
    Thanks, Simrick. You went to places I didn't even know existed on my computer!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 12,158
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       24 Jun 2016 #5

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Can you change that to Unicode-8 instead of Western?
    I can try, TC. What will that do?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 12,158
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       24 Jun 2016 #6

    OK, here it is, but there's not much of it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unicode 8 - UTF8.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	86677
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 18,659
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       24 Jun 2016 #7

    Wynona said: View Post
    OK, here it is, but there's not much of it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unicode 8 - UTF8.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	86677
    Well, to answer your first question, it does that!

    Sorry, don't mean to laugh.....sometimes the encoding get messed up. I really don't have a clue why Word is doing that cause I don't have Office! It was a shot in the dark.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    24 Jun 2016 #8

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Well, to answer your first question, it does that!

    Sorry, don't mean to laugh.....sometimes the encoding get messed up. I really don't have a clue why Word is doing that cause I don't have Office! It was a shot in the dark.
    We're gonna try Autoruns tomorrow and see if we can determine what exactly is calling for that strange file.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 18,659
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       24 Jun 2016 #9

    simrick said: View Post
    We're gonna try Autoruns tomorrow and see if we can determine what exactly is calling for that strange file.
    Easy fix! It's even got your name in it!

    Fix Build 14371 and 14372 Anomoly .b8527aa
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    24 Jun 2016 #10

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Easy fix! It's even got your name in it!

    Fix Build 14371 and 14372 Anomoly .b8527aa
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
747914614780792833 746101015137624066 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14372 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
745647988274401283 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14371 for PC | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
745376304942350337 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 14371 | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums