Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 Apr 2015 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 87
    Windows 10

    Installation of Win10 build 10049 borked by update from MS


    I have managed to install Win10 build 10049 and get the Project Spartan icon to appear on the task bar.
    Spartan appeared to be working so I left the machine to do something else and an update arrived from MS which caused a Restart and after that the Win 10 is borked.
    The Windows key does not bring up anything although file explorer runs from the icon on the task bar.
    I cannot get to the apps.
    I am running this in a VirtualBox machine and this is the third attempt to get a working version of 10049.
    I found that 9926 installed cleanly and worked. When 10041 came out I let it update the 9926 but the result was not fully functional. I waited until 10041 came out as an ISO and installed that it also did not update properly to 10049 no Project Spartan and a similar hesitancy to bring up the apps screen. I then retried the 9926 build and allowed it to update to 10049. This was the best result so far, that is until MS updated it this morning.
    I cannot start a recovery from an image as I cannot get the start screen to get to the app.

    How do you recover from a failure such as this? Is there a sequence of keystrokes that will start the recovery process?

    I am also getting an error (cause unknown) which is illustrated in the attachment. This happens sometimes when I Shutdown. Any clues what is causing this could it be VBox?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails win10errB.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Apr 2015 #2
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 103
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    The 2 updates they released for Windows 10 TP 10049 killed the Store Beta & Photos app's on my pc. I'm really now starting to dislike Windows 10 and truly haven't seen a good enough reason to warrant a upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64 to Windows 10 Pro. I already have a start menu and can run modern app's in 8.1 on the desktop, thanks to Stardock's Start8 and Modern Mix. Windows Media Player is still version 12 from Windows 7 in 10 and I don't see them updating to a newer version of Windows Media Center either. Cortana, the new photo's app and Project Spartan aren't good enough reason's for a desktop pc user to upgrade. DirectX 12 really isn't either.As far as DirectX 12 goes, yes current video card's that were purchased in the last 1-2 years will work with some of it's feature's, but not all of them. Considering DirectX 12 is still in beta, at this point, I don't beleive even the current AMD 2** or nVidia GeForce 9** series card's will truly support all the feature's of DX 12. Thus, we'll all need to put money out for the newest video card's and Xbox One's in October. Personally, I'm not buying any new hardware then for what truly appear's to be a unnecessary upgrade to 10.Microsoft can't even get it's own pre-installed app's to work in the last 2 builds of 10 out the gate. Mail, Calendar & People haven't worked and we need to run a administrative PowerShell commant to be able to re-install them to get them working again. The Store Beta app never downloads any updates (useless). Now after the 2 updates they released yesterday for Windows 10 TP 10049 the photo's app repeatedly crashes. I'm sorry Microsoft, I realize Windows 10 is still a beta, but it seems with every build you've released, more & more of Microsoft's pre-installed app's stop working properly. NOT GOO AT ALL!!!!!!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Apr 2015 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BRKKAB View Post
    The 2 updates they released for Windows 10 TP 10049 killed the Store Beta & Photos app's on my pc. I'm really now starting to dislike Windows 10 and truly haven't seen a good enough reason to warrant a upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64 to Windows 10 Pro. I already have a start menu and can run modern app's in 8.1 on the desktop, thanks to Stardock's Start8 and Modern Mix. Windows Media Player is still version 12 from Windows 7 in 10 and I don't see them updating to a newer version of Windows Media Center either. Cortana, the new photo's app and Project Spartan aren't good enough reason's for a desktop pc user to upgrade. DirectX 12 really isn't either.As far as DirectX 12 goes, yes current video card's that were purchased in the last 1-2 years will work with some of it's feature's, but not all of them. Considering DirectX 12 is still in beta, at this point, I don't beleive even the current AMD 2** or nVidia GeForce 9** series card's will truly support all the feature's of DX 12. Thus, we'll all need to put money out for the newest video card's and Xbox One's in October. Personally, I'm not buying any new hardware then for what truly appear's to be a unnecessary upgrade to 10.Microsoft can't even get it's own pre-installed app's to work in the last 2 builds of 10 out the gate. Mail, Calendar & People haven't worked and we need to run a administrative PowerShell commant to be able to re-install them to get them working again. The Store Beta app never downloads any updates (useless). Now after the 2 updates they released yesterday for Windows 10 TP 10049 the photo's app repeatedly crashes. I'm sorry Microsoft, I realize Windows 10 is still a beta, but it seems with every build you've released, more & more of Microsoft's pre-installed app's stop working properly. NOT GOO AT ALL!!!!!!!
    I have a question. Have you ever heard of paragraphs? Using the return key? This giant blob of text is very hard to read.

    You need to separate bugs in the development release from the OS itself. Bugs are expected, and just because you're frustrated by them doesn't mean that the final version of Windows 10 will have those bugs.

    You really don't know what Spartan will be like once finished, so it's not really possible for you to judge what the final will be. Again, you have to separate what your opinion of the half-finished work is from what the final will be.

    I fail to understand how apps not working in a beta is "not good at all" as if it's some judgment about the final version. Not everything gets fixed in every build, problems persist for several builds because they don't fit in the schedule to fix them yet. Sometimes things get worse before they get better because a whole bunch of stuff gets broken due to a small change, which needs to get fixed across the board to reflect that change.

    You simply can't know what the final will be like just because stuff gets broken in the beta. There's still a whole slew of new features coming.

    As for no reason to upgrade... Why would you NOT want to if its free? Seriously?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Apr 2015 #4
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MacNala View Post
    I am also getting an error (cause unknown) which is illustrated in the attachment. This happens sometimes when I Shutdown. Any clues what is causing this could it be VBox?
    That shutdown error is common. I get it all the time on Hyper-V as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Apr 2015 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts : 23
    Windows 10 & 8.1

    When 10049 was announced did you notice the issues warning about running Windows 10 in a VM environment?

    Here are some known issues for this build


    • After logging in, you may see a blue screen instead of your desktop. To work around this issue, lock your PC (with the hardware button or by pressing the Windows Key + L) and try logging in again. You can also try Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Indexing of new email in Outlook is not working, so search results will be limited to when the last index was built.
    • If you have Virtual Machines hosted on your PC running Windows 10, you will want to move to the Slow ring and wait for the next build as this build breaks the ability to run VMs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Apr 2015 #6
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,144
    Windows 10 Professional

    It's pretty basic instinct to want something new to work properly right away, but that's not gonna happen here in the midst of development. So, just relax and wait.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    09 Apr 2015 #7
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 87
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bpratt View Post
    When 10049 was announced did you notice the issues warning about running Windows 10 in a VM environment?

    Here are some known issues for this build


    • After logging in, you may see a blue screen instead of your desktop. To work around this issue, lock your PC (with the hardware button or by pressing the Windows Key + L) and try logging in again. You can also try Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Indexing of new email in Outlook is not working, so search results will be limited to when the last index was built.
    • If you have Virtual Machines hosted on your PC running Windows 10, you will want to move to the Slow ring and wait for the next build as this build breaks the ability to run VMs.
    In fact I did read the warnings but what is the problem unless MS are told there is a problem they might never fix it. As for staying in the slow ring, forget it, I want to see all the new features as they are released so I can warn my customers about them. As for not running in a VM environment, What do you think my customers are going to do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Apr 2015 #8
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 111
    windows 8.1

    Running 10049 build getting on PC 1. contana has microphone issue. 2. Wifi not connecting on boot up. 3. shut down does not finish completely. Decided to hold off till the official one comes out. What else can I do ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    09 Apr 2015 #9
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 103
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Mystere: Just because it's free, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    09 Apr 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by BRKKAB View Post
    Mystere: Just because it's free, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better.
    True.. and if you don't like it you don't have to use it/take it. So far, it's better overall for me.. but that's me and YMMV.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update won't download updates (Build 10049)
The Windows Update app says (and shows) that I have updates available but never downloads and there is no option to start the download or manually download. This is a new clean install of 10049 from ISO. Running 10049 64BIT 17046
Windows Updates and Activation
Win10 build 10049 Impressions
Note: Had an early Tech Preview on an old laptop, but in general it was too old and 'freez-y' to do anything meanwhile with. Bided my time until 'Tablet Mode' was said to be working on Surface Pro's, and now I'm going into Build 10049 pretty much as...
Windows Insider
All apps locking up since build 10049 update
Hello, I just wanted to post on here and see if anybody might be able to help me figure this out. I was enjoying the previous 2 builds I tried, but ever since I updated to 10049, I've been getting constant lock-ups and freezes. Here's one...
Software and Apps
No Sound after Build 10049 Update
After what seemed to be ages - more than 5 hours on an Intel I7 32M PC - Build 10049 finally upgraded from 10041 BUT no sound. I had this problem with Build 10041 when it updated the audio drivers but at least I could roll back the drivers to...
Drivers and Hardware
Build 10049 Will Download But Aborts Installation
I have build 10041 in different stages on three SSDs. Have had no problems installing updates including new builds in the past. Build 10049 downloads (100%), but installation always aborts - even on one SSD which has an absolutely pristine 10041 -...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums