Windows 10: Can't stop insider preview build

  1.    06 Mar 2016 #1

    Can't stop insider preview build


    Hi, I wanna stop the insider preview build 14271 and revert back to 10586 but I ran into a problem, first I went to Settings>Update and Security>Advanced Options and chose 'Stop insider preview builds', there's a popup which shows a 'blank' drop-down list and when I clicked on the drop-down list or apply, the settings UI freezes and I can't do anything to it, I can only close it through the taskbar. I have a screenshot of it below. Any solutions?

    In case you're wondering I'm using the stock windows defender, and I've previously upgraded this laptop from windows 8.1 to windows 10 then to the preview build.


    Thanks.
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	67991
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       06 Mar 2016 #2

    What will happen if you............
    1. Fill in the box " Turn Insider Preview builds back on in "
    2. click the Stop receiving Insider Preview builds.
    Then click Apply.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 Mar 2016 #3

    I think you cannot actually turn insider builds off after you enable them.
    Looks like it's a "requirement" of the test program to install and test every single insider build that is released.

    If you no longer want to test new builds, i would suggest you to reinstall your OS and not enable the Insider Builds.
    If you just want to slow down the rate of new builds, just move to the Slow Ring.

    Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Mar 2016 #4

    davidhk said: View Post
    What will happen if you............
    1. Fill in the box " Turn Insider Preview builds back on in "
    2. click the Stop receiving Insider Preview builds.
    Then click Apply.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
    It freezes when I click on the box, then the settings UI sort of like restarts itself and I can't click anything on it
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       06 Mar 2016 #5

    Samz said: View Post
    It freezes when I click on the box, then the settings UI sort of like restarts itself and I can't click anything on it
    Looks like you will need to reinstall your Win 8.1, if you do want to get out of Insider Preview.
    Hope you have the Win 8.1 installation dvd and product key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,313
    Windows 10 Professional
       06 Mar 2016 #6

    Try 'Recovery'/'Go back to an earlier Build'
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    02 Aug 2016 #7

    WinInsiderBeta said: View Post
    I think you cannot actually turn insider builds off after you enable them.
    Looks like it's a "requirement" of the test program to install and test every single insider build that is released.

    If you no longer want to test new builds, i would suggest you to reinstall your OS and not enable the Insider Builds.
    If you just want to slow down the rate of new builds, just move to the Slow Ring.

    Anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
    I went from 10586.494 to 14393.0 a couple of weeks ago which updated to 14393.10. I wanted to see it run on this machine but I did not intend to put this machine on the beta test program forever. Now that the anniversary release is almost out I decided to go back to 10586.494 and the way I did that was to recover the previous build which in my case was 10586.494. After that it was still on the insider build program but it allowed me to completely turn off that option. Another restart, and it was off the insider program.

    Another 2 hours and I will get the Anniversary non-insider non-beta version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Aug 2016 #8

    any one having trouble receiving the anniversary update if you have insider preview turned on and are on a preview build ? im trying to opt out by sticking to a stable build and not receiving this shit any more. PS yes i know id di this to my self just looking for tid bits on getting my self out of the hole 8/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    13 Aug 2016 #9

    I think you need to download Windows 10 1607 and then do a clean install to get off of the preview treadmill. Clean installs are a pain but you do end up with a nice clean system. Maybe you can live with the preview slow ring.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Aug 2016 #10

    Yea i know im doing that today 8( snaps!!@!@!@ well thanks for the tip appreciate it.


    alkaufmann said: View Post
    I think you need to download Windows 10 1607 and then do a clean install to get off of the preview treadmill. Clean installs are a pain but you do end up with a nice clean system. Maybe you can live with the preview slow ring.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
version 1511 Build 14271.1000 howdy, followed the tutorial on stopping insider preview builds due issues but getting to part where it says turn insider preview build back on is a blank box and clicking stop insider previews then crashes and i have...
Gabe tweeted: Back from Barcelona. Now where did I put that button?... Gabriel Aul on Twitter:
Hi Guys! Only a few days ago a Windows Insider Build had been pushed outside the walls of Redmond. This build is marked as 10525 and does not include that many features. As to say in fact that Windows 10 for Xbox One is coming really soon so...
Hi! So about month ago I downloaded insider preview build 10162. Now when they are releasing windows 10 will I get a update or do I have to downgrade to win 8.1 and then get the upgrade? Also will my key work if I instead of going back to win 8.1...
615386255203921921
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25.
Find Us