Windows 10: Win10 refuses to get Insider Preview Builds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    14 Jan 2016 #1

    Win10 refuses to get Insider Preview Builds


    Error message on my Windows Update page:

    "Theres a problem getting preview builds
    your preview build settings nned attention. go to advanced options to fix this issue"

    I go into advanced settings, and see that my MS Account is linked correctly.

    "Your security settings need attention to get preview builds."
    "fix this issue" button, click this, and it says in order to make this change it needs to restart the PC. I do this, but it doesn't fix the problem

    The problem of not being able to get Insider Preview builds persists after a "reset windows 10 and remove everything" reset.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       14 Jan 2016 #2

    If you don't mind reinstalling all the 3rd party programs you have installed, then do a CLEAN install.
    Backup your personal files to an external hard drive or an USB flash drive.
    Download the current Win 10 ISO from Tech Bench link below > burn it to a bootable DVD or USB > then do a clean install.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench
    If you are asked for a product key, just click the SKIP option and continue.
    Activation will be automatic.

    Once you have a clean copy of Windows 10 running, then enable the Get Insider Preview Builds option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    14 Jan 2016 #3

    davidhk said: View Post
    If you don't mind reinstalling all the 3rd party programs you have installed, then do a CLEAN install.
    Backup your personal files to an external hard drive or an USB flash drive.
    Download the current Win 10 ISO from Tech Bench link below > burn it to a bootable DVD or USB > then do a clean install.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench
    If you are asked for a product key, just click the SKIP option and continue.
    Activation will be automatic.

    Once you have a clean copy of Windows 10 running, then enable the Get Insider Preview Builds option.
    I'm not sure I have a large enough USB stick hanging around, can I run the installer from inside windows?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       14 Jan 2016 #4

    You need only a 4 GB USB or DVD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    14 Jan 2016 #5

    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability
    Go to that registry key and see what the value for EnablePreviewBuilds is. If zero, change to 1 and reboot and see if that helps.
    Last edited by cyberrufus; 14 Jan 2016 at 17:04.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    14 Jan 2016 #6

    cyberrufus said: View Post
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability
    Go to that registry key and see what the value for EnablePreviewBuilds is. If zero, change to 1 and reboot and see if that helps.
    Done that the other day and didn't help.
    I was a 1, but something else that should have been 0x0000 1 for example was 0x0000 0. But changing that didn't help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    14 Jan 2016 #7

    Just to double-check - have you verified your Microsoft Account on that computer? (I think it's in Settings then Accounts, and should then be obvious if it wants you to Verify)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Jan 2016 #8

    DavidY said: View Post
    Just to double-check - have you verified your Microsoft Account on that computer? (I think it's in Settings then Accounts, and should then be obvious if it wants you to Verify)
    Yep.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    14 Jan 2016 #9

    OK... so Surface Pro/Win10 boot is annoying the crap out of me right now.

    How do I tell it to boot from my USB stick?

    The Surface Pro 1 "Change UEFI Settings" screen didn't seem to have an option to tell the device it to 'boot from USB'.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surface-pro-2-uefi.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	58853
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Jan 2016 #10

    On a somewhat unrelated matter, since doing a 'Reset This PC and Remove Everything' earlier, my user account folder has a truncated version of my MS Account's email address for it's name instead of using my first name.

    Instead of it being C:/Users/Karl/Documents, it's C:/Users/ksdix/Documents.

    Is this anything I need to worry about?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Got this message under Get Insider Builds, under Settings>Update and Security> Windows update> Advanced options. Tried "Fix Me" button. Restart changed nothing. Finally found an answer to this that worked; thought I'd share it here. The only...
Installation insists on creating a small recovery partition, which I neither need nor want, with each new build starting with 10547. Since I have several Windows 10 install disks, a recovery partition offers me nothing I don't already have readily...
I just finished upgrading my desktop to build 10586, and found that preview builds are disabled by default. When i go to Preview Build settings and click the "Get Started" button, an error window pops up with the following error code: ...
Source: Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds UPDATE HERE: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/7306-upcoming-changes-windows-10-insider-preview-builds-updated-6-22-a.html How to Backup and Restore your Project Spartan...
Here's a new version of this... Source (Mods feel free to move back if you don't think it deserves its own thread - but it's changed significantly from the last one , so I thought having it as post 1 of its own thread would be useful to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34.
Find Us