Build 10586. Where is the install.esd ?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,433
    windows 10 Pro ver 20H2 build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #31

    Final update....................I took up Brink's suggestion and went one step further. I started everything from scratch.
    The system used to have Win 10 Pro dual booting with Insider Previews.
    I removed the Insider volume, extended the volume back to Win 10 Pro partition.
    With a Win 10 Pro bootable DVD, I did a Clean Install.
    Then installed build 10565 over the RTM.
    8 hours later, build 10586 showed up in Windows Update.
    Installed it.
    Now the Install.esd is where it should be.
    Case closed................... sort of. Why I didn't get it in my last 10586 remains a mystery.
    I am unsubscribing from this thread.
    You guys have fun talking about it, if interested.
      My Computer

  2. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,965
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #32

    And so far, I've not had a bobble . . . install.esd is right where it's supposed to be.

    I've seen posts that said it was there right after installation, but disappeared later. I don't seem to have had that problem either, since I've gone back to check and it's always there.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 Pro build
       #33

    billy268 said:
    Final update....................I took up Brink's suggestion and went one step further. I started everything from scratch.
    The system used to have Win 10 Pro dual booting with Insider Previews.
    I removed the Insider volume, extended the volume back to Win 10 Pro partition.
    With a Win 10 Pro bootable DVD, I did a Clean Install.
    Then installed build 10565 over the RTM.
    8 hours later, build 10586 showed up in Windows Update.
    Installed it.
    Now the Install.esd is where it should be.
    Case closed................... sort of. Why I didn't get it in my last 10586 remains a mystery.
    I am unsubscribing from this thread.
    You guys have fun talking about it, if interested.
    Whatever dude. You were kinda rude to us; I'm fairly sure nobody cares how you fixed it at this point.
      My Computer

  4. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,965
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #34

    billy268 said:
    I did that only because I could not find $Windows.~BT and Sources folder is inside that.
    I did that out of speculation. I didn't even know that was possible.

    You should NOT have to do that. Just open the C drive and you should see $Windows.~BT.
    Historically, Microsoft has hidden certain files and folders to "protect us from ourselves" but have made them discoverable for those of us who don't need to be "protected from ourselves".
      My Computer

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,965
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #35

    JoeyDVDZ said:
    Whatever dude. You were kinda rude to us; I'm fairly sure nobody cares how you fixed it at this point.
    Agreed. My Mama always told me that I shouldn't bite the hand that feeds me. :) Those who tried to help him won't be so eager to help next time he has a problem.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 43
    Windows 10
       #36

    I also have this problem, but I don't want to go back to reinstall everything... I cannot find the esd file...
      My Computer

  7. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,545
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #37

    The install.esd file that is used to create the ISO - is in the $WINDOWS.~WS
    Which may have been deleted...

    When using the media creation tool to create the setup media..
    Once the media tool closes the file is deleted...

    So what version, build and language are you looking for ??
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 43
    Windows 10
       #38

    Thank you, Kyhi. Yes, it may have been deleted. Anyway, I am downloading your PE tool now. Haha...
      My Computer

  9. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,965
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #39

    Kyhi said:
    The install.esd file that is used to create the ISO - is in the $WINDOWS.~WS
    Which may have been deleted...

    When using the media creation tool to create the setup media..
    Once the media tool closes the file is deleted...

    So what version, build and language are you looking for ??
    Mine's still in $Windows.~BT\Sources where it's always been. It isn't in .~WS though.
      My Computer

  10. Kyhi's Avatar
    Posts : 3,545
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #40

    well, that depends on the download method, I guess..

    Attachment 49881

    that tmp file will get renamed to esd after download completes..

    So guess it is safe to say check both BT and WS folders for a Large File when sorted by size
      My Computer


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:19.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums