Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    31 Oct 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 81
    Win10 build 10525

    No Install.esd for th2_release Professional 10576


    I have downloaded the latest tech preview for Win 10: 10576 (thru Windows Update). Download completes and then this:
    th2_release Professional 10576 - Error 0x80240031

    After a morning of searching. It appears I do not have a critical file called "install.esd". I know where to look for it and it is, simply, not there. There are a few other threads out there reporting the same thing with previous builds. Some discussion centers on whether the user is upgrading through "Windows Update" or through clean installs with .iso files. I add that not because I understand it, but it apparently becomes important to the discussion???

    That's all I have.
    Any ideas?

    Food for thought: If anyone else has done this and can find the "install.esd" file FOR BUILD 10576 in their $WINDOWS.~BT folder, maybe you could post it here? (the sound you hear is my scratching the bottom of the barrel of ideas)

    Kevin
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    31 Oct 2015 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,920
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kkorotev View Post
    I have downloaded the latest tech preview for Win 10: 10576 (thru Windows Update). Download completes and then this:
    th2_release Professional 10576 - Error 0x80240031

    After a morning of searching. It appears I do not have a critical file called "install.esd". I know where to look for it and it is, simply, not there. There are a few other threads out there reporting the same thing with previous builds. Some discussion centers on whether the user is upgrading through "Windows Update" or through clean installs with .iso files. I add that not because I understand it, but it apparently becomes important to the discussion???

    That's all I have.
    Any ideas?

    Food for thought: If anyone else has done this and can find the "install.esd" file FOR BUILD 10576 in their $WINDOWS.~BT folder, maybe you could post it here? (the sound you hear is my scratching the bottom of the barrel of ideas)

    Kevin
    Mine is on C:/ESD which is my 10 partition, but the folder is empty.

    This should help you: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    31 Oct 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Posts : 147
    Win7 SP1 Ultimate and Win10 17040.1000 64bit Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Mine is on C:/ESD which is my 10 partition, but the folder is empty.

    This should help you: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums
    I was able to locate the "install.esd" file FOR BUILD 10576 in the $WINDOWS.~BT by searching within the $WINDOWS.~BT folder. I also was able to create the 10576 .iso with no problems.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    31 Oct 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 81
    Win10 build 10525
    Thread Starter

    Wekjr,
    Good for you. Glad to know what's supposed to work, sometimes does.
    Want to upload it here?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 Oct 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 81
    Win10 build 10525
    Thread Starter

    see below
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    31 Oct 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 81
    Win10 build 10525
    Thread Starter

    This should help you: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums[/QUOTE]

    Hypsie,
    I appreciate the link. but you have to HAVE the .esd to make the .iso
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    31 Oct 2015 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,920
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kkorotev View Post
    Hypsie,
    I appreciate the link. but you have to HAVE the .esd to make the .iso
    The link I posted is the tutorial for to aid in finding the file. I don't do ESD to ISO. Do a little work and find the answer in the tute.

    Didn't appreciate the attitude of your posts, especially when WEKJR gave the answer. Therefore I suggest you tune the attitude.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    31 Oct 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,920
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by WEKJR View Post
    I was able to locate the "install.esd" file FOR BUILD 10576 in the $WINDOWS.~BT by searching within the $WINDOWS.~BT folder. I also was able to create the 10576 .iso with no problems.
    Thanks. A rep for you.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Install.esd.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	45730
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    31 Oct 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 81
    Win10 build 10525
    Thread Starter

    No attitude intended, truly. I read the article in your link earlier this morning and concluded I have to HAVE the .esd to make the .iso (or pursue any other options)
    Therein lies my problem.
    I apologize for offending you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    31 Oct 2015 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 33,920
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kkorotev View Post
    No attitude intended, truly. I read the article in your link earlier this morning and concluded I have to HAVE the .esd to make the .iso (or pursue any other options)
    Therein lies my problem.
    I apologize for offending you.
    Apology accepted. We all get frustrated when a problem isn't solved so easily. Let's just move on.

    Did you find the file?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
th2_release Professional 10565 could not install
This thread did not help: Solved Got the 10565 Update but upon restart it does not update ? - Windows 10 Forums I restart using the "Restart Now" Button on the Windows Update Dialog, but the update still could not be installed after the system...
Windows Insider
Build 10576 could not see MY wifi router - but could see others !!!!
Hi there I have a router with an extender in my house -- after installing build 10576 the system could detect OTHER wifi systems in the neighbourhood but mine was completely invisible (two -- wifi_A and the extender wifi_A-ext). After two...
Windows Insider
Solved WU doesn't show build 10576
I'm running Insiders Preview build 10565 under a VM. When I run WU there is no new build 10576 Preview listed. I even reset Windows and I still can't get the new preview when I run WU. I am on the Fast Path and it's enabled. Any ideas on...
Windows Insider
Build 10576 did not change anything at all.
So i still have these 3 problems: Homegroup asks me to join the Homegroup AGAIN Pics when Extra Large Icons is active, do not show, also NOT with Large or Medium Icons. Network now gives me only ONE computer and it is not mine. So i am...
General Support
Solved th2_release Professional 10525 - Error 0x80240031
Got this " th2_release Professional 10525 - Error 0x80240031" after download 100%. Tried downloading again with same result. Can't find any info on the web about what the problem is. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums