Windows 10: Build 9860 - This is how to avoid multiple downloads Solved

  1.    06 Nov 2014 #1

    Build 9860 - This is how to avoid multiple downloads


    Hi there

    Not having a direct download is a PAIN if you want to apply / update to build 9860 on Many computers -- I hope that Ms realizes that this could be a NO NO if you are in an organisation with loads of computers to update (remember they've put out an ENTERPRISE version for testing too!!).

    Even if you are at home you might want to do this on a few machines (doesn't matter if VM's or real one's - process is the same).

    What I've done though and it does work is the following.

    (I've assumed you've got a VM of build 9860 - if you haven't simply do it from a physical machine by creating a VM via the Free conversion tool VSphere - from VMWARE).

    https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/inf...standalone/5_5

    1) Start a VM in VMWARE workstation or player.
    2)Uninstall VMware tools (yes UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS -- not a typo !!!!).
    3) Make a stand alone image with Free Macrium / acronis
    4) Restore to another HDD / partition
    5) Boot
    6) Windows will hunt for hardware drivers / updates etc --- works a treat !!! For really obscure hardware you can search manually anyway.

    (Essentially I've made a V2P conversion -- Virtual to Physical. That's why you need to UNINSTALL the VMWARE TOOLS - so that you've uninstalled the Virtual NIC's, Sound and Graphics system and the Virtual USB handler).

    If rarely you get a BSOD simply repair windows and the boot record will be re-written. I haven't actually had any Boot problems using this method though.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       06 Nov 2014 #2

    Won't the image include the virtual drivers from the VM?

    Interesting as I would have assumed that would trigger the Windows copy protection system.
    Since it works for you I guess it doesn't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 5,007
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       06 Nov 2014 #3

    Why not do one update. Create the iso from the C:\ESD folder tree, make a DVD or USB flash drive to install from and you're done.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       06 Nov 2014 #4

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Why not do one update. Create the iso from the C:\ESD folder tree, make a DVD or USB flash drive to install from and you're done.
    You could install programs before making your image (using jimbo45's method).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Nov 2014 #5

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    Won't the image include the virtual drivers from the VM?

    Interesting as I would have assumed that would trigger the Windows copy protection system.
    Since it works for you I guess it doesn't.
    Hi there

    The Virtual drivers are essentially uninstalled when you uninstall VMWARE tools - that's essentially why you uninstall those before creating the image. On first boot Windows will load the new hardware drivers if they exist in the windows DB -- most hardware runs just fine with the windows default. Then once you are up and running you can always look for better ones from the Internet. Any old VM hardware drivers will just sit unused in the windows DB just like other unused ones such as printer drivers etc. No harm is done.

    The ESD method IS possible but since you already have a RUNNING system with all your programs installed (with their updates too) IMO it's easier to do it this way. Also restoring an image is probably a lot quicker than doing a re-install --especially if you are restoring the image to an SSD.

    As far as the windows protection scheme is concerned - I've quite often done a restore to unlike hardware and haven't been asked for a re-activation - and with the technical preview the same key can be used over and over again if required.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       07 Nov 2014 #6

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    As far as the windows protection scheme is concerned - I've quite often done a restore to unlike hardware and haven't been asked for a re-activation - and with the technical preview the same key can be used over and over again if required.
    I wouldn't expect to be hit with activation issues using W10 TP (which didn't need a key in the first place).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    07 Nov 2014 #7

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    jimbo45 said: View Post
    As far as the windows protection scheme is concerned - I've quite often done a restore to unlike hardware and haven't been asked for a re-activation - and with the technical preview the same key can be used over and over again if required.
    I wouldn't expect to be hit with activation issues using W10 TP (which didn't need a key in the first place).
    Hi there

    On the ENTERPRISE version if you try and "Personalize" PC you'll get hit with a message Windows must be activated before you can personalize the PC. Note I'm using only LOCAL account - I don't want the Ms account etc.

    Then all you do is type SLUI 3 (space before the "3") and enter the product number (The common Enterprise key from the download). Then it's fine. You might also see after a while the Activate Windows nag in the watermark area. Same solution. Do this though BEFORE taking images.

    Note this is for the ENTERPRISE version.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       07 Nov 2014 #8

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    On the ENTERPRISE version if you try and "Personalize" PC you'll get hit with a message Windows must be activated before you can personalize the PC. Note I'm using only LOCAL account - I don't want the Ms account etc.
    I noticed that issue when I tried the W8.1 Enterprise Preview.

    I assumed that the same thing would happen with the W10 Enterprise TP, so I'm only using the "peasant " version of W10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I want to uninstall a driver, but as soon as windows is rebootet, it download and install a driver :mad: I want to install a driver that I do know work, but to do that, Windows own driver must be uninstalled. How can I avoid this?
Your Build 9860 Evaluation in Windows Insider
Been using Build 9860 for a greater part of the day. I realize this is beta, but: I know I can configure to use the Start Screen, but trying the Start Menu out first and canít boot to Start Screen yet. The Start Menu is a mess to the point of a...
Solved TRI boot with new build 9860 in Installation and Upgrade
Hello all, on my system i have 1 HDD with duel boot WIN 7 and WIn 8.1 when i installed win 10 TP i istalled it on a second laptop drive i had hanging around and managed to prefabricate a fit into my Pc. all i had to do was enter the BIOS at...
Build 9860 ISO in Installation and Upgrade
My prefered pc refuses to upgrade to build 9860 so I tried, sucessfully to upgrade the second one. Before I had configured restore it crashed big time. I have removed the hdd and formatted it, I won't bother to put it on that machine again. I was...
524631057295896576 See: We're rolling out our first new build to the Windows Insider Program
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01.
Find Us