Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1.    03 Nov 2014 #41
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    There is no audio on Windows Hyper V Windows at all, that is why I went back to VMWare which is far superior in every way and is still free for home use.
    That's completely untrue. Audio works just fine if you're using an Enhanced session, because it uses Remote desktop which has always had audio pass through.
    OK I stand corrected. I was never able to sort it out about six months ago so assumed it was not supported. Also along the way have spent good money on VMWare Workstation and feel it is superior. Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to get a Creative soundcard working?
    Not sure this will fix your problem. You could go to windows catalog sites & search for your sound driver. When I tried to find graphic drivers for my 32 bit windows 7 & windows 10 32 bit preview, I had to download a few of them to try. I had to manually install them. I extracted the files from the cabs. One tip, if you use a 64 bit os, use the AMD64 otherwise use the X86 cabs. It took me awhile to find the correct one, after a few days windows update showed a new graphic driver to download and it worked. At first windows update, it might show you a sound driver that may not install. Sorry about my grammar
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Nov 2014 #42
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,569
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    The new build isn't stable enough in a VM for me to evaluate it. The desktop disappears and reappears. Explorer Windows either take ages to open or cause the desktop disappearing act.

    9841 is slow but one can tolerate it to surf the web at least.

    Both builds have unstable behavior afa VMTools file copy from host OS etc..
    I hope the next build is a lot more stable and responsive.
    I assume you are running VMware on Windows 8?

    I'm using VMware Player on Linux Mint 17 (64 bit) and my W10 VM is seems as good as my actual W7 install (speed and stability).

    I have noticed some weird inconsistency with "Copy & Paste" between the VM and Host (and vice versa) since I updated to b9860.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    03 Nov 2014 #43
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    What I don't understand is why should the GUI on a desktop, a tablet and a phone be the same. I don't see the need to have two versions of IE (modern and normal) on the same machine. I am using mostly Pale Moon, but IE is still there. In my opinion the "profile" should be tied to the type of hardware, I don't think I want a desktop GUI on my phone, but I certainly don't want to have a phone GUI on my desktop.
    Uhhhh..... It seems like you don't actually listen to yourself....

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    What I don't understand is why should the GUI on a desktop, a tablet and a phone be the same.
    Umm.. ok... if you say so... but then in the very next sentence you say...

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I don't see the need to have two versions of IE (modern and normal) on the same machine.
    How is it exactly that in the same paragraph you can so quickly contradict yourself?

    First you say the UI shouldn't be unified.. then you say the UI should be unified (not have more than one version of the browser).

    So i'm confused... should the UI be unified, or shouldn't it?

    (and before you say "on the same computer", remember that many devices can act in multiple roles, such as the Surface which can be a laptop, tablet, or desktop depending on how you configure it).

    Even more ironic, your name is "unifex" which give an air of "unification"... lol.

    By the way, there aren't two versions of IE. It's the same version, it just has to ways of operating. The same is true of Chrome which also can run in Modern mode.

    And then you go on to say:

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I am using mostly Pale Moon, but IE is still there.
    So you're perfectly fine with two different kinds of browsers otherwise.... Apparently some choice is good, other choice is bad... when it's something you don't like. What if I don't like having multiple desktop browsers available? So who wins that battle?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 Nov 2014 #44
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 236
    7, 10TP

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

    Uhhhh..... It seems like you don't actually listen to yourself....

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    What I don't understand is why should the GUI on a desktop, a tablet and a phone be the same.
    Umm.. ok... if you say so... but then in the very next sentence you say...

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I don't see the need to have two versions of IE (modern and normal) on the same machine.
    How is it exactly that in the same paragraph you can so quickly contradict yourself?

    First you say the UI shouldn't be unified.. then you say the UI should be unified (not have more than one version of the browser).

    So i'm confused... should the UI be unified, or shouldn't it?

    (and before you say "on the same computer", remember that many devices can act in multiple roles, such as the Surface which can be a laptop, tablet, or desktop depending on how you configure it).

    Even more ironic, your name is "unifex" which give an air of "unification"... lol.

    By the way, there aren't two versions of IE. It's the same version, it just has to ways of operating. The same is true of Chrome which also can run in Modern mode.

    And then you go on to say:

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I am using mostly Pale Moon, but IE is still there.
    So you're perfectly fine with two different kinds of browsers otherwise.... Apparently some choice is good, other choice is bad... when it's something you don't like. What if I don't like having multiple desktop browsers available? So who wins that battle?
    I'm confused... Where exactly have you found a contradiction?

    And by the way, Unifex is a character from a book I happen to like...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Nov 2014 #45
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I'm confused... Where exactly have you found a contradiction?
    I thought I made it quite clear... if you don't understand... oh well...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Nov 2014 #46
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 236
    7, 10TP

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I'm confused... Where exactly have you found a contradiction?
    I thought I made it quite clear... if you don't understand... oh well...
    Unless my understanding of the English language is completely different from yours, the two phrases you quoted as contradictory are actually saying the same thing...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Nov 2014 #47
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 19,172
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post

    Edit:

    I'm basically waiting around for them to turn on booting to Start Screen to see how that goes. They definitely have to fix the app snapping on the desktop. I may tolerate the desktop for it's just a screen. If and when they release Office in the Modern I'll really be happy. And as lparsons21 stated, the Modern IE is a must.
    It looks like the Start Screen is only available as default if you have a touch device, on my Laptop this is the default and I have to change it if I want the Start Menu

    The experience of using it is similar to all the complaints about 8 when it came out, where when closed an app you where returned to the Start Screen and not to the desktop

    So now in 10 when you run anything from the Start Screen, it runs on the desktop, when closing apps down you are just left on the desktop

    This is one of the reasons I have been trying out the Start Menu, in 10 currently this provides a much nicer way of working (as everything is desktop oriented), I find the Start Screen annoying with it taking me to the desktop for everything

    I will change and adapt to 10 when it comes out, but for me so far 8.1 provides a much nicer experience

    With Office I am not to sure now
    If everything is running on the desktop, what advantage would there be to a modern office over the traditional layout
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Nov 2014 #48
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 743
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    The new build isn't stable enough in a VM for me to evaluate it. The desktop disappears and reappears. Explorer Windows either take ages to open or cause the desktop disappearing act.

    9841 is slow but one can tolerate it to surf the web at least.

    Both builds have unstable behavior afa VMTools file copy from host OS etc..
    I hope the next build is a lot more stable and responsive.
    That sounds more like VMWare tools is incompatible with the new one... You'll probably need an upgrade to VMWare, since the tools tends to integrate tightly into the OS, like other kinds of system tools (Antivirus, firewalls, filesystem tools, etc..) these are very likely to break when changes are made. This isn't a flaw in the OS, or "instability", it's just a fact of life that these tools are tightly integrated and must be in lockstep with releases that make breaking changes.
    VMWare Tools has nothing to do with the desktop disappearing. It did that before the tools were even installed. 9860 is flaky to the point that it can't be used for anything(on my system in my VM which is all I can report on.) . As I already stated the previous build is slow but I can surf the web, run editors etc.. 9860 I can't even get Explorer to come up. I don't see that it helps to shake out a new OS to pretend it's stable when it's not. The Glee Club never fixed anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Nov 2014 #49
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    _Miles: You seem to have more issues with Win10 than most other TP insiders. I don't have a solid clue why though, only a few educated guesses.

    My position on troubleshooting is this:
    Start with a known good base.
    Your specs say
    • host=W8.0 x64
    • 4 GB RAM
    • guest=W10 x86


    I would update to Win8.1 before trying Win10

    Make sure VMware player is up to date

    Early release software is always in flux (i.e. unstable) - make sure everything else is as stable as possible .

    4 GB is fine for one or the other, but might be a little short for both the host and guest to operate efficiently.
    I have 6 GB in my laptop and Win10 (3.5 or 4 GB allocated static) in a Hyper-V machine sometimes has memory issues. I think there's a leak, but it's only a gut feeling.

    I would probably run the same bit depth x64 host and x64 guest. It shouldn't matter really, but then again ... who knows what's in these preview releases?

    If your system specs are out of date and you've already brought your machine up to snuff, I guess the only thing left would be to create a new machine and install Win10 fresh.

    You should be able to grab the ESD file from your current Win10 install by following Kari's tutorial
    ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

    If you can't bring or keep the Win10 machine up, mount the virtual hard drive (assuming VMware uses vHDs) and pull the file from inside Win8. I guess you can create the ISO using Win8, Kari would know for sure.

    I posted an external link to an updated version of the ESD Decrypter tool in Kari's thread and the link also has a link to a ESD. Both Kari and the link I point to use the same tool, just different versions (Kari might have updated his tutorial or made the changes necessary in his scripts).

    Alternatively, you could start at the base Win10 ISO and update through the Preview Builds update (PC Settings).
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

    Once you have the ISO, install it on a new Virtual Machine.

    You might have already gone through these steps - the only things I think might be the cause of so many issues is a memory leak in Win10 or it's the 32-bit Win10. I know that 32 bit is not supported for Win10 TP when UEFI is in play ... now that I think of it, my Hyper-V machine set up a virtual UEFI boot.

    Good luck,

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    04 Nov 2014 #50
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 743
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86

    There's no way I'm updating to 8.1. The downside is if the update goes weird I'm hosed. I have no other means to download a driver or whatever to fix problems. The upside is pretty much nothing. I'd be more likely to take a risk to put W7 on than to update to a drab phone friendly OS.

    VMWare Player is 6.04. That's as up to date as there is unless a new one came out today.

    Edit: Again, I don't get the point of "evaluating" if problems are wished away. Let's just have press releases instead then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't update windows build from 9860
every time i updated the OS its always comes with error that the connection down. please help
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved TRI boot with new build 9860
Hello all, on my system i have 1 HDD with duel boot WIN 7 and WIn 8.1 when i installed win 10 TP i istalled it on a second laptop drive i had hanging around and managed to prefabricate a fit into my Pc. all i had to do was enter the BIOS at...
Installation and Upgrade
Build 9860 ISO
My prefered pc refuses to upgrade to build 9860 so I tried, sucessfully to upgrade the second one. Before I had configured restore it crashed big time. I have removed the hdd and formatted it, I won't bother to put it on that machine again. I was...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available
524631057295896576 See: We're rolling out our first new build to the Windows Insider Program
Windows 10 News
No ISOs for Windows 10 build 9860
Read more...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums