Am I on Insider Builds


  1. Posts : 176
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 19042.804)
       #1

    Am I on Insider Builds


    Hi

    Ive been on the slow ring for insider builds since build 99xx (cant remember). I got to the RTM build of 10240. I haven't opted out of the insider program and I get the STOP INSIDER BUILDS and SLOW/FAST ring options on the update page, I also have a registered copy of windows 10 pro. If I do the winver command from search I am shown that I have windows 10 (build 10240) and there is no expiration date. My question is this, am I still on the insider builds or not, since 10240 Ive been on the slow ring and I still am, I haven't gotten a new build number except that every now and then I have updates to download. I also notice in the UPDATE HISTORY that every so often it will tell me that no updates have been installed since the last build (cant remember the exact words) So am I still an insider? Why am I not getting slow ring builds?

    It seems 10240 does not expire (to me it seems like Ive opted out of the insider program and am stuck on 10240 but the fact that STOP INSIDER BUILDS and FAST/SLOW rings appear in settings tell me that I still an insider.

    Help me figure this out please.
      My Computer

  2. Cluster Head's Avatar
    Posts : 1,546
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586
       #2
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 176
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 19042.804)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Ok so what I understand.

    Im still an insider but I suppose that bug fixes for builds that are released to the fast ring filter down to the build I have got (10240) on the slow ring and a new build of 10240 is installed.

    Is my thinking and reasoning correct?

    Nick
      My Computer

  4. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,150
    W10Prox64
       #4

    Nickynoo said:
    Hi

    Ive been on the slow ring for insider builds since build 99xx (cant remember). I got to the RTM build of 10240. I haven't opted out of the insider program and I get the STOP INSIDER BUILDS and SLOW/FAST ring options on the update page, I also have a registered copy of windows 10 pro. If I do the winver command from search I am shown that I have windows 10 (build 10240) and there is no expiration date. My question is this, am I still on the insider builds or not, since 10240 Ive been on the slow ring and I still am, I haven't gotten a new build number except that every now and then I have updates to download. I also notice in the UPDATE HISTORY that every so often it will tell me that no updates have been installed since the last build (cant remember the exact words) So am I still an insider? Why am I not getting slow ring builds?

    It seems 10240 does not expire (to me it seems like Ive opted out of the insider program and am stuck on 10240 but the fact that STOP INSIDER BUILDS and FAST/SLOW rings appear in settings tell me that I still an insider.

    Help me figure this out please.
    Don't worry. I switched to the slow ring after installing 10240RTM and I am still sitting there as well. No builds have come through for slow ring since RTM.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 176
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 19042.804)
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thanks simrick, really worried that Im missing out because it seems that the fast ring only ever gets new builds.
      My Computer

  6. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,150
    W10Prox64
       #6

    Nickynoo said:
    Thanks simrick, really worried that Im missing out because it seems that the fast ring only ever gets new builds.
    Yes, well, if you want to switch to the fast ring, by all means do it. But the last build to fast ring appeared to be quite buggy, and if you're tired of fiddling and just want a computer that works for a while, (like me), stay on the slow ring. A new build just dropped today to fast ring. Watch the thread and the Insider section, and you can then decide if you want to switch.
      My Computer

  7. Cluster Head's Avatar
    Posts : 1,546
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586
       #7

    A new build just dropped today to fast ring. Watch the thread and the Insider section, and you can then decide if you want to switch.
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10565
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 176
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 19042.804)
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Dont wanna fiddle and get things working so Im staying on the slow ring. But why does the winver command mention nothing about expiry date - I thought all insider builds expire at some point.
      My Computer

  9. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,150
    W10Prox64
       #9

    Nickynoo said:
    Dont wanna fiddle and get things working so Im staying on the slow ring. But why does the winver command mention nothing about expiry date - I thought all insider builds expire at some point.
    Because you officially have 10240RTM right now, and there's no expiry date for that. Once they release an Insider Preview Build to the Slow Ring, you'll have a watermark and a new expiry date.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums