This Device is Currently in Use - USB Jump Drive

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,155
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #11

    Wynona said:
    Lappy 15 refuses to turn loose of Jump Drive too.
    I wonder if there are hardware-specific issues with drivers or whatnot. The device that I've had problems with intermittently all along is a WD external USB hard drive. Like I said, sometimes it gets let loose, other times not. Very strange...
      My Computer

  2. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,930
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #12

    topgundcp said:
    In order to see what's holding it. Download: Process Explorer
    From the menu: Find->Find Handle or DLL
    Attachment 42473
    I downloaded it, but can't figure out what to do with it. It looks nothing like what you've shown or what's at the download site.
      My Computer

  3. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,930
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #13

    sgage said:
    I wonder if there are hardware-specific issues with drivers or whatnot. The device that I've had problems with intermittently all along is a WD external USB hard drive. Like I said, sometimes it gets let loose, other times not. Very strange...
    This one's consistent. I've tried the Jump Drive on both Lappy 15 and this desktop. I've tried my external hard drive(s) and Jump Drives. Build 10565 will not turn loose of any of them.
      My Computer

  4. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,760
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #14

    Wynona said:
    I downloaded it, but can't figure out what to do with it. It looks nothing like what you've shown or what's at the download site.
    The downloaded file is a ZIP file. You need to unzip it then right click on proexp.exe and run as Admin. From the File Menu, click on Find->Find Handle Or DLL then put in the drive letter, click on search to find what's keeping it from safely remove.

    EDIT: Again, try what I posted in #5 then try Safely remove.
      My Computer

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,930
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #15

    topgundcp said:
    The downloaded file is a ZIP file. You need to unzip it then right click on proexp.exe and run as Admin. From the File Menu, click on Find->Find Handle Or DLL then put in the drive letter, click on search to find what's keeping it from safely remove.
    Well, duhhhhhhhh! Who woulda thunk I needed to put in the drive letter! Sheesh!
      My Computer

  6. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,930
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #16

    OK, here's what it found:

    This Device is Currently in Use - USB Jump Drive-proc-exp-jump-drive.png

    Which doesn't seem to tell me much. Except that it seems File Explorer is hanging onto it?
      My Computer

  7. WEKJR's Avatar
    Posts : 504
    Win10 20236.1000 64bit Pro and Win7 SP1 Ultimate
       #17

    Wynona, I am seeing the same problem with this build and 10547 and not previous builds using the Quick Launch Icon to eject a Silicon Power 64GB USB 3.0 drive. If I open Windows Explorer and highlight the drive and right click, I can eject the drive and receive the OK to remove window. I have "upvoted" this on two posts in the feedback ap.
      My Computers

  8. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,760
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #18

    Is your removable device H: or something else ? You need to use the drive letter of your removable device.
    Again, try what I post in #5. Use sync:
    1. sync -r flushes removable devices
    2. syn -e eject removable devices
      My Computer

  9. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,930
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #19

    WEKJR said:
    Wynona, I am seeing the same problem with this build and 10547 and not previous builds using the Quick Launch Icon to eject a Silicon Power 64GB USB 3.0 drive. If I open Windows Explorer and highlight the drive and right click, I can eject the drive and receive the OK to remove window. I have "upvoted" this on two posts in the feedback ap.
    Yes, I'm going to do the same; For just a bit, the problem went away in 10547, but now it's back in 10565. Sigh . . .
      My Computer

  10. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,930
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
    Thread Starter
       #20

    topgundcp said:
    Is your removable device H: or something else ? You need to use the drive letter of your removable device.
    Again, try what I post in #5. Use sync:
    1. sync -r flushes removable devices
    2. syn -e eject removable devices
    Yes, it's H:\

    So, do I need to ID the drive letter when I sync?

    Thanks for the help.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums