|The problem is that Windows 7 had more options, features and customizations, for example has roundend Windows cornes and allow you to put Windows square edges. Windows 8.x and 10, has less options, features and customizations and for example has square edges and not allow rounded window corners. Also only allow a very few and little customization.
All users want to be comfortable when using a OS. Someone likes rounded windows corners, others likes square edges, other like flat design, other like 3d or skeumorphic design, etc. Allowing only ONE OPTION, allows only a little percentage of users to be comfortable with the OS.
In general, all properties, options and features are less in Windows 8.x and 10 than in Windows 7 because Windows 10 is a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS, not a desktop OS like Windows 7. That makes Windows 10 a much lower and inferior operating system than Windows 7:
- Less customization options. Less Themes (Aero, Classic, etc.)
- No “Advanced Appearance Settings”.
- Less Network options. No “Network Map”.
- Less Wi-Fi options. No Wi-Fi Wizard.
- Less Dial-Up options.
And also has less features:
- Less and bad font smoothing (Cleartype). Fonts see very very much better in Windows 7.
- No Persistent Shadow Copies.
- No Start Menu (Microsoft puts a small start screen in the place of the start menu, but is not a start menu).
- No Windows Gadgets.
- No games (Win32 games). Games in Windows comes since Windows 1.0 with Reversi. Since Windows 8 no games in Windows.
In general, Windows 8.1 and 10 has less features, options and customizations in all aspects of the OS(Ex. Blue Screen show less information, etc.).
Persistent Shadow Copies allows me and save in many occasions (a lot of) of deleted or changes files of folders on all of my own computers or on all of the computers across my companies. Never downgrade to an OS does not have this option.
The small start screen that Microsoft puts in the place of the start menu and call it “Start Menu” is not customizable. I can’t order it in my own manner, I can’t put document shortcuts, I can’t drag & drop elements between the desktop, etc. Windows 7 Start Menu allows this and more things. Its best. This Windows 10 Start Menu is less inferior than the Start Menu in Windows 7 and XP. I can’t remove all the ugly Tiles and the space reserved for tiles. Again less options, properties and features, making Windows 10 a much lower and inferior operating system than Windows 7, because is a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS.
More things. In Windows 7 and older versions of the OS, I have more control of the overall OS. For example, If I don’t want any component (like .NET Framework, Visual C++ Runtime, etc), I remove it on “Turn Windows Features on or off”. If I want to delete any program or application I do it in “Programs and Features” in Control Panel. Also if I want to remove the Windows 7 calculator or Notepad I remove it simply deleting the “Calc.exe” and “Notepad.exe” files and associated in Windows Explorer.
How to uninstall Onedrive, Windows Store, all apps on Windows 10? You can’t.You are allow to remove the vast mayority of apps, but not all, one by one. But over time, will return to appear.
How to uninstall all the apps runtime (RT) libraries? You can’t. Again less control, options, properties and features, making Windows 10 a much lower and inferior operating system than Windows, because is a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS.
And also the user interface is plain, ugly and less intuitive. Previous of Windows 8.x icons are clearly representing the item, and more realist. The Windows 7 Recycle Bin is like a real Recycle Bin. In Windows 8.x the vast mayority of icons are 2-D, one color and most of them are abstracting representing the item. Icons in 2D and in one color icons was something of the 80s, already exceeded and improved. Microsoft is calling Modern, 80s retro designs. Why? In order to run the OS in less powered devices like smartphones and tablets with less powered graphics devices, Microsoft develops a simple, light, simple design and user interface in order to gain more performance on this devices, making Windows 10 a much lower and inferior operating system than Windows, because is a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS.
The new design is ugly, less intuitive and with boring screens that take away the desire to work, or do anything on the computer. Compare those screens.
||This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 756x613.
||This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 756x581.
||This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x830.
Control panel settings has tabs, clarify icons, best window and text sizes in order to be intuitive in constrast with the bored screen of Settings, without icons or in some cases with 2D and flat icons not clearly identify the item, with big sizes and big fonts that has no meaning in desktop because is developer to smartphones or tablets, making Windows 10 a much lower and inferior operating system than Windows, because is a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS.
Finally, I don’t understand the meaning of apps on a desktop PC. I have a 2000$ PC to run full powered applications/programs and I don’t want to run apps on my 2000$ PC, apps that also runs on a 100$ smartphone. If I want to run apps I buy and use a 200$ device and don’t need a 2000$ PC. I also own a smartphone and a tablet and I use apps on it. I don’t want to use apps on my desktop PC. I only want full powered applications like Win32, .NET, WPF, etc.
- Not run in a standard window.
- Has not compliant any Windows UI guidelines. Every app is different lacking a standard design. Less intuitive. Win32 applications has good design guidelines. Apps has oposite guidelines. (Ex. Win32 no recommends ALL CAPS in tltles or menus. App guidelines says otherwise).
- Has big sizes and big fonts in order they are develop to smartphones/tablets.
- Are more slow to open and execute.
- They are not full powered. Apps are simple. The are limited by design.
- Less copy and paste support.
- No drag&drop support.
- Not real multitasking.
- No interconnection between apps.
- Not allowing to open more than one instance of an app. (For example you can’t open two calculators in Windows 10).
- Not allowing to install or develop apps outside the Windows Store.
Now Microsoft is migrating all to apps, like Settings, Calculator and more. This is the test that confirms that Windows 10 is a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS.
I read some post that says that Windows 10 is now “desktopcentric”. No. Is appcentric. Apps are for smartphone/tablets making Windows 10 a much lower and inferior operating system than Windows, because is a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS.
I repeat the question, what is the meaning of apps on a desktop PC?
If I want apps on my desktop on Windows I can install any of the Android emulators and I have more and best apps.
What I expect for Windows 10 of any new version of Windows:
- More features, options and customization instead of less features, options and customizations.
- At least the same Windows 7 features, options and customization, but I expected more features, more options and more customization options because it’s supposed to be a superior OS, not and inferior like Windows 8.x and 10 is now.
- Return the Persistent Shadow Copiesis undiscussable and it’s a must option. Without the return of this option, Windows 10 has nothing to do. Also I expected an improved version.
- Since I not use apps on desktop, I want an option to completity not install any app, including the Store, the Settings, the Tiles, and all apps relative libraries.
- A clearly option to create a local account in order to create a Microsoft Account. If Microsoft wants to be honest, its more recommended to be secure and for privacy to create a local account than a Microsoft Account. But is more recommended for Microsoft to create a Microsoft Account in order to make more cash. Microsoft Account has only sense on a Smartphone or a Tablet, not on a desktop PC, making Windows 10 Smartphone/Tablet OS.
- Return of Windows Games (not apps), Windows Gadgets and more desktop features and applications (real applications not smartphones apps).
- And more, a lot of more non relative to smartphones and tablets.
I don't want a Smartphone/Tablet OS on my home desktop PC.
Because of this, and with much more reason,I don't want a Smartphone/Tablet OS on my work, company or for business desktop PC.
If you open the new Microsoft homepage, you will see all about smartphones, tablets and all in one devices. Nothing relative to full powered desktop PC. Microsoft completity abandon full powered PC and that is the reason that Microsoft do a simple Smartphone/Tablet OS with Windows 8.x and 10.
Microsoft thinks the PC is dead because of the bad sales. Bad sales of PC’s is because of Windows 8 that nobody wants and is installed on all new PC’s. The most decrease in PC sales becomes when PC’s comes with Windows 8 installed. See the numbers and dates.
Also, Microsoft is forcing to apps, Metro/Modern designs, Microsoft Account, Microsoft Store and Bing, converts this in the same thing that is the ask.com search default web page and toolbar, that nobody wants, everybody hates and everybody has installed.
In the past I try Bing to search in order to compare to Google. I select Google because is a best and more accuracy web search engine. But every time I install a Microsoft program, an Internet Explorer upgrade or visit a Microsoft web page, I want to take care in order to not install Bing or make it the default web page. This has made me create a strong hatred for Microsoft, the same feeling that I have to ask.com.
I try to use Windows 8, Windows 8.x, the new start screen, the Store, the apps and more. Because Microsoft is forcing to use the Microsoft Account in order to run the vast mayority of apps, the forcing to use the Store to obtain, for example, the Windows games and more, and the real that apps is offering less, much less than any real application, this is generating a widespread rejection of Windows Store and apps on Windows on a desktop PC. I’m a developer and I develop Win32 programs and Android and iOS apps. Windows apps does not have any attractive to develop on this platform. Only has negative reception. Microsoft has worked hard and very well to have this bad reception. Because all of this, I never develop any Windows app and never use a Microsoft Account, the Store or any app and I want an option to remove all of this. Since Windows 8.x, the feeling of people about Microsoft is being increasingly as the ask.com feeling people has. And Microsoft is working hard and doing well to earn this feeling.
Forcing means not doing things well. If you have a good product you have no need to force to use some products or service. Or is that Microsoft knows it's a bad product and so is trying and forcing to impose?
On other post, Drew says that in other posts or blogs, everybody is excited with Windows 10 and likes it. This remember me another post in the Windows 8 Beta blog “Building Windows 8” when Sinofsky says the same.
In general I see talking with real people who real test Windows 10, and reading in other post or blogs, that vast mayority of people thinks about Windows 10 like me.
Microsoft is going in the wrong direction and is to blind to know this. So blind, that is not even able to see the disaster that has Windows 8.x. Also, Microsoft nevers talks about the disaster of Windows 8.x. Always talk about how good the product is, and the best sales and marketshare that have. If is not able to see the Windows 8.x disaster and bad reception, is not able to fix it and predict a Windows 10 disaster.
The above is just a few reasons to stick with Win 7 , the truly last great OS Microsoft will ever develop.