Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1.    14 Sep 2015 #41
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,552
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Wynona

    Actually, when you delete all the devices, one drive will have a cow to so to speak and request you log into a Microsoft Account, if the devices are removed, I assume you would also have to re-verify the Microsoft Account unless that has changed with a later insider build. I am basing this on my experience with RTM and previous insider builds. I also didn't realize the op had more that one computer or I would of recommend he delete only what is related to his computer that the poster is having problems with. On my devices, I had a bunch listed, I couldn't tell which is which so I had to delete them all.



    No, I didn't mean repair, I mean the fix it button that sometime shows up when an insider preview build gets messed up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Sep 2015 #42
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,176
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Wynona

    Actually, when you delete all the devices, one drive will have a cow to so to speak and request you log into a Microsoft Account, if the devices are removed, I assume you would also have to re-verify the Microsoft Account unless that has changed with a later insider build. I am basing this on my experience with RTM and previous insider builds. On my devices, I had a bunch listed, I couldn't tell which is which so I had to delete them all.

    No, I didn't mean repair, I mean the fix it button that sometime shows up when an insider preview build gets messed up.
    Last item first . . . Yeah, now I know what you're referring to with "fix" and that has never fixed anything in my experience. I've also seen a number of complaints about this doing nothing nothing but messing things up. I can't remember exactly, but I think that all it will do is give you the choice of opting out of the Insider Program.

    I removed one device from my list yesterday, so that may be why I was able to reverify my account.

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    I also didn't realize the op had more that one computer or I would of recommend he delete only what is related to his computer that the poster is having problems with.
    And this is the very reason I always make sure I've read the whole thread (and sometimes have gone back to read it again!).

    I want to address deleting all devices and ramifications of that, but I will start a new thread so as not to muddy the waters in this thread; I'm sure Lockes is confused enough as it is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Sep 2015 #43
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 142
    dual boot win10/win7

    The fix me button often allows only opting out of the insider program, but in one instance for me, it was a verification for an MS account. In my case, the sign in process was successful, but would not stick, leaving me with an activated insider account that was unable to receive insider updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Sep 2015 #44
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,176
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by mrpumpkin View Post
    The fix me button often allows only opting out of the insider program, but in one instance for me, it was a verification for an MS account. In my case, the sign in process was successful, but would not stick, leaving me with an activated insider account that was unable to receive insider updates.
    Good to know, Mr. Pumpkin. So far, I've only seen the "opt out" part.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Sep 2015 #45
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    A few simple things to try:

    Use the MS account you originally used to join the Insider program in each sign in belo:

    Launch the Insider hub app and sign in
    Sign in to your MS account Sign in to your Microsoft account
    Launch the Store app and sign in

    Some people have solved issues simply by starting Windows in Safe mode - and then restarting in Normal mode. There's nothing you have to do while in Safe mode. It seems that some linkage, binding or other relationship only occurs in safe mode on some installs.

    It still could take up to 7 days for activation to occur after you try the above.

    You could also try kick starting the Insider program by pressing the Stop insider builds button, then joining again. I'd probably save that for last after the other easy things easy + the activation waiting period.


    To determine the install status of your machine, execute the following commands in a Command Prompt (Admin window:
    slmgr /dlv
    slmgr /xpr
    req query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost /s

    You are running a system successfully upgraded to Windows 10 if
    slmgr /dlv does NOT have an Evaluation End Date
    - and -
    there are no keys under WindowsSelfHost

    You are running an evaluation of Windows 10, (aka the Insider Program) if:
    slmgr /dlv reports an Evaluation End Date
    - or -
    reg query returns any keys under WindowsSelfhost

    It's also possible that you are running the 30-day trial of Windws 10.
    That can be determined form the slmgr /dlv report - the wording might be different, but the information should be in the same area as the Evaluation End Date information. It might have the word expire in the label reference.

    Some confusion might have arisen when people 'migrated' from the Insider builds to an upgraded system. If a system was upgraded but you did not leave the Insider program, then the upgraded system is still participating in the Technical Preview and will be offered build updates when MS releases them to the flight rings. If that is what you intended then there is no issue - just be aware that you are running Preview builds, not an upgraded system. You can always do a Clean install to get back to a Current build install (RTM, Retail... whatever name works for you).

    Below the fold are reports from two of my machines
    1. Win7 Home Prem upgraded to Windows 10
      Fowwloed by a Clean install on that machine

    2. Insider Technical Preview
      currently on build 10.0.525


    slmgr /dlv & slmgr /xpr


    Upgraded system
    Insider Preview install


    reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost /s


    Upgraded system
    Insider Technical Preview
    \WindowsSelfHost Type Value
    -----
    -----
    -----
    \WindowsSelfHost
    Type Value
    FlightingOwnerGUID
    REG_SZ 6dc60aab-52b3-4001-a1aa-f48298e97033
    EnablePreviewBuilds
    REG_DWORD 0x2
    Ring
    REG_SZ WIF
    RingBackup
    REG_SZ WIS
    ThresholdRiskLevel
    REG_SZ low
    ThresholdOptedin
    REG_DWORD 0x1
    BranchName
    REG_SZ th2_release
    UserPreferredBranchName
    REG_SZ th2_release
    \ ... \Timestamps
    Type Value
    BranchNameTimestamp
    REG_SZ 2015-08-19 20:23:56.799
    bBranchNameTimestamp
    REG_BINARY 6A657AF9BCDAD001
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Sep 2015 #46
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    thanks slartly i will try this

    its just strange because before i had to reformat due to one of the insider builds causing a failure i was fully activated. This was a good month after release of RTM so im not sure why it wont activate me like before. let me see if i can get it to work
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Sep 2015 #47
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,176
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Lockeskidney View Post
    thanks slartly i will try this

    its just strange because before i had to reformat due to one of the insider builds causing a failure i was fully activated. This was a good month after release of RTM so im not sure why it wont activate me like before. let me see if i can get it to work
    Smart move, Lockes. Bill (slartybart) knows what he's doing.

    Follow Bill's suggestions, but if that doesn't work, I suggest that we go back to the beginning, because I think there are some things we may have missed.

    1. The Asus has never had anything but Windows 10 Insider Preview on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lockeskidney View Post
    The PC i was fully activated on has only seen windows 10 previews . Upon release of RTM i was fully activated on Pro

    Last week i attempted to update to the newest insider build and my computer would not boot

    I could not figure out how to get it to boot so i had to format and install from USB

    Since then i cannot get Activation

    Any suggestions?
    2. Once the Asus had Build 10240 RTM/GA on it, it seem s you quit the Insider Program, as is inferred below:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lockeskidney View Post
    1 pc is fully upgraded the 2nd had to be reformatted and lost it. only thing i can think of is just go back on insider and hopefully become activated
    3. Evidently, this hasn't worked, since from your screenshots, you are back on the Insider Program and still not activated.

    4. As a last ditch effort, go back to Windows 10 and redownload the Media Creation Tool, reinstall and then be sure you are shown as a member of the Windows Insider Program.

    Edit: Well, I don't know why the rest of my post didn't come across:

    Do not try to reinstall Build 10532. Install whatever comes with the Media Creation Tool and wait for activation. I think 10532 may be the reason you haven't activated before.

    You may have to wait awhile for the activation to take effect.
    Last edited by Wynona; 14 Sep 2015 at 14:26.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Sep 2015 #48
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Lockeskidney View Post
    thanks slartly i will try this

    its just strange because before i had to reformat due to one of the insider builds causing a failure i was fully activated. This was a good month after release of RTM so im not sure why it wont activate me like before. let me see if i can get it to work
    That's what I tried to explain ... between mid July and 28 July activation changed to live activation. After 29 July the only avenue to activation was by upgrading a valid system. The old Insider keys were no longer valid and the Insider program was suspended. You got cught in the transition.

    Now that the Insider Program is no longer suspended, activation should work automatically again without entering a key (you aren't are you?) To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that differentiates a Retail and Insider install is if your system knows that it you are an insider. The only way a system knows if you are an Insider is through the Join the Insider program (it looks as though your system 'knows') using the same MS account you originally signed up with.

    I'm curious how you make out with this, so please post your results (if signing in to the Insider Hub works, or the store works, or the MS account works).

    Wynona is looking at Devices on the MS account. As she reported, I also found devices (many Insider builds) long gone on my MS account. So there are two paths that members are looking at for a resolution.

    When did you download the ISO? If it was before 29 July, you probably should get a new ISO
    Home page - Windows Insider Program
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Sep 2015 #49
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 1
    Win10

    A somewhat related story:
    Joined the insider program on July 10th 2014. Installed Win10 in VMWare Player, and kept it up-to-date. Was activated then.
    Due to a hardware problem had to complete reinstall VMWare Player on July 19 2015. Had saved a 10162 ISO, so installed Win10 insider from that. No problem, except it wouldn't activate. Could upgrade to 10240 and later on to the latest 10532. I am still on the fast ring of the insiders, can visit the insider Hub. But activation still not possible. Not a big problem, but some features like personalization are blocked without activation.

    The host computer was upgraded from 8.1 to 10 at the end of July. Did try to reinstall 10162 as a new guest on VMWare etc without problems, but always: no activation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Sep 2015 #50
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 142
    dual boot win10/win7

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    That's what I tried to explain ... between mid July and 28 July activation changed to live activation. After 29 July the only avenue to activation was by upgrading a valid system. The old Insider keys were no longer valid and the Insider program was suspended. You got cught in the transition.

    Now that the Insider Program is no longer suspended, activation should work automatically again without entering a key (you aren't are you?) To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that differentiates a Retail and Insider install is if your system knows that it you are an insider. The only way a system knows if you are an Insider is through the Join the Insider program (it looks as though your system 'knows') using the same MS account you originally signed up with.

    I'm curious how you make out with this, so please post your results (if signing in to the Insider Hub works, or the store works, or the MS account works).

    Wynona is looking at Devices on the MS account. As she reported, I also found devices (many Insider builds) long gone on my MS account. So there are two paths that members are looking at for a resolution.

    When did you download the ISO? If it was before 29 July, you probably should get a new ISO
    Home page - Windows Insider Program
    I am really curious as well. 2 weeks ago, I was just trying to reformat and get back on a functioning insider build to upgrade to 10532. But in the process I obtained an RTM license?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	activation.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	37549

    See this post in the thread.

    According to my screenshot, I have an activated RTM 10240 build, unless I'm missing something. I have never upgraded any previous Window's install, just the insider partition as described. I should add that I did need the original 10074 key to activate.

    It is curious, and I would like to rejoin the insider program (in settings/update; I have never left via the MS website), but not until I'm clear what's going on. Do I have a regular license?

    This was Aug 31, and 10532 was Aug27?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
reformat SSD from Win 7 to Win 10
I have a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO that I installed in my old Win 7 machine last year. I am moving it into my new XPS 8700 with Win 10. I am trying to do a Secure Erase so that I can clone the Win 10 drive over to the SSD. The Samsung Magician software...
Drivers and Hardware
Computer not fully shutdown
Hello i update my Acer E1-572G to Windows 10 from 8.1. I have a huge problem , when i had windows 8.1 i install some update who keep my computer on when i shut down it but still happening to windows 10 . Any solutions? thanks in advance!
Performance & Maintenance
windows activated ( iam insider ) is that for all ?
...
Windows Insider
Can I reformat using Win7 cd after upgrade if I want; Multiple times.
I was going to try the upgrade. But am really not sure if I should. I run a simulator with many many peripherals connected to it. So if things don't work. Or I just want to reformat my disk in the case of detecting spyware or similar problems. ...
Installation and Upgrade
Clean Install/Reformat Once Final Version Is Released?
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering as googling didn't turn up much, but does anyone know if you go to the 10 tech preview, will you have to do a clean install/reformat once the final version is release? Or will you simply just 'upgrade' or 'update'....
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums