Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    25 Aug 2015 #21
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,704
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Nope, you were not correct

    You can run the Insider builds on any machine that is capable of running Windows 10.
    You do have to sign-up for the Insider program or the Technical Evaluation (Enterprise edition) and
    you do have to agree to the terms.

    I think there is a lot of confusion between the Insider program and upgrading a qualifying OS.

    If you upgrade an OS, why would you want to run Insider Builds?

    To answer my own question, you might want to continuing testing or at a minimum see what's going to be offered in the next Current Build on Win10.

    You wouldn't want to over write your newly upgraded system though (some might ????).
    The better way would be to dual boot Win10 Retail (Current build, RTM, whatever name works for you) and Win10 Preview as another boot option.

    You could also run the Preview in a Hyper-V machine of other VM, but I had some issues when a new Insider build was released - Windows said I couldn't update a VM, so I Clean installed the builds when the ISO was offered. I eventually changed to a dual boot configuration.

    But no ... you do not have to upgrade a previous version of Windows to run Insider builds.
    I have no issues at all, none, with running Insider Win 10 10240 ---> 10525. And RTM 10240. And still have my 8.1. Triple boot, all on same box, all legit, all activated, fat and happy! Bill, is correct.... I do this so I can see what is "down the road", currently out to the public, and the 8.1... well... just cause I can and I can reference back to what it used to be.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    25 Aug 2015 #22
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,395
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    I have no issues at all, none, with running Insider Win 10 10240 ---> 10525. And RTM 10240. And still have my 8.1. Triple boot, all on same box, all legit, all activated, fat and happy! Bill, is correct.... I do this so I can see what is "down the road", currently out to the public, and the 8.1... well... just cause I can and I can reference back to what it used to be.
    The issue is that you can do this because you have already got a running Insider build.

    For a new machine or VM, where it hasn't been running Insider build, it seems the official line is you must have a licence for Windows 7 or 8 (or I guess 10 if you bought one) to install Insider builds.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Aug 2015 #23
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    The issue is that you can do this because you have already got a running Insider build.

    For a new machine or VM, where it hasn't been running Insider build, it seems the official line is you must have a licence for Windows 7 or 8 (or I guess 10 if you bought one) to install Insider builds.



    I still think from reading the article. Is if you have a clean install without upgrading from windows 7 or 8.x Microsoft wants you to abandoned that and upgrade from a legit windows 7 or 8.1 system than use the insider programs. I am not willing to do that, that one reason I opted of the insider build. As I said before most people will not give up or use up a license to test windows 10 preview. I am still using windows 10 though at times. Right now I am using windows 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    25 Aug 2015 #24
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,704
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    The issue is that you can do this because you have already got a running Insider build.

    For a new machine or VM, where it hasn't been running Insider build, it seems the official line is you must have a licence for Windows 7 or 8 (or I guess 10 if you bought one) to install Insider builds.
    With all due respect... there is no issue. I did my homework and prepped and got things right before I did anything! Not you, David, but people should take a little time and think and get ready. Most people would not jump out of a plane without a parachute.Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    If you have a legit install, 7, 8, it will activate,,,,,,,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    25 Aug 2015 #25
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 91
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    They did not have to tell me, I left on my own as build 10525 seems bloated to me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Aug 2015 #26
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,704
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    They did not have to tell me, I left on my own as build 10525 seems bloated to me.
    Funny (not ha-ha) that you mention that... 10525 is NOT as snappier as 10240. Drags a bit... the new memory compression routines?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    25 Aug 2015 #27
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 1,395
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    With all due respect... there is no issue. I did my homework and prepped and got things right before I did anything! Not you, David, but people should take a little time and think and get ready. Most people would not jump out of a plane without a parachute.Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
    Yeah apologies I phrased that wrongly.

    I should've said "the issue for me is that... "

    That is, I can no longer fire up a clean-installed Insider VM to test something out, if I want it to activate.

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    I still think from reading the article. Is if you have a clean install without upgrading from windows 7 or 8.x Microsoft wants you to abandoned that and upgrade from a legit windows 7 or 8.1 system than use the insider programs.
    Actually I think the article in the OP is just someone's interpretation.

    I'm still not 100% clear on what happens to, for instance, VMs that were clean installed and are still in the Insider program. That blog post from June (the one that was edited several times) could be taken to mean that if you were happy to stay in the Insider programme, you keep getting builds, even on a clean-installed machine or VM, that would expire unless you replace with the next build, but would stay activated.

    What I am clear on is that Microsoft are saying that no new machines can be added to the Insider program unless they have a Win 7/8/10 licence already.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Aug 2015 #28
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 91
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    It seems that once you are an insider you stay one if you want. I have now dropped out and returned 3 times.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    29 Aug 2015 #29
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,441
    win 10 Insider

    Just can't make up your mind, eh, Gary?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Activation Problems Continue, Microsoft Tells Everyone...
Source
Windows 10 News
Solved How will the windows 10 preview upgrade work if the insiders a pro...?
How will the windows 10 preview upgrade work if the insiders a pro version? Since you can upgrade or install windows 10 rtm from Windows 10 preview. For example, some here may have upgrade from a home to windows 10 preview pro? So, will...
General Support
Windows 10: Microsoft gives Insiders more control over the update...
Source
Windows 10 News
Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 Insiders Preview 10074
Would it be possible to update my Windows 7 Pro to 10074 and still get the final release?
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 developer tooling preview now available to Windows Insiders
Source: Windows 10 developer tooling preview now available to Windows Insiders See also: Windows 10 Technical Preview tools
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums