Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Technical Preview
       #1

    Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage


    Just upgrade from 10240 to 10525 and notice ram usage report by task manager is around 10gb out of 16 gb (normally it's around 2 to 3gb) without any foreground program running (just after boot finished) and not going down.
    Restart does not help.
    Looking at each process ram usage show no abnormal ram usage, so I don't know what is using ram.
    Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage-high-ram.jpg
    I know that build 10525 change some memory management method but is this ram usage normal for this build?
    How is your ram usage for this build?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 46
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       #2

    I am using 9% with Firefox and a Download from MS working.

    Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage-mem.png
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 187
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    They changed something about the memory, if I recall correctly.

    Windows now tries to keep as much as it can in memory, instead of swapping to the harddisk. Code that isn't used get compressed, but stays in the RAM, until there is no room anymore and only then it swaps to the harddisk.

    Maybe this new behavior could explain the high usage of RAM.


    Did you check the memory after using other programs, or straight away after booting up? I haven't upgraded to this one yet, because I follow the slow insider program, for now. So, all of this is just speculation from my side.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Rudy Mas said:
    They changed something about the memory, if I recall correctly.

    Windows now tries to keep as much as it can in memory, instead of swapping to the harddisk. Code that isn't used get compressed, but stays in the RAM, until there is no room anymore and only then it swaps to the harddisk.

    Maybe this new behavior could explain the high usage of RAM.


    Did you check the memory after using other programs, or straight away after booting up? I haven't upgraded to this one yet, because I follow the slow insider program, for now. So, all of this is just speculation from my side.
    The screenshot is straight away after boot up.
    Using other programs will add more ram usage.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 59
    Windows 10
       #5

    NonXtreme said:
    The screenshot is straight away after boot up.
    Using other programs will add more ram usage.
    That's actually a good thing, running applications straight from the memory is much faster instead of fetching the files from the swap disk and copying it back to the main memory. I noticed on my test machine that it is actually more snappier compared to build 10240 when running apps, it have 8GB of DDR3 RAM (Superfetch and Prefetcher disabled). You don't have to worry since you have 16GB RAM and Windows actually knows how to manage its memory efficiently. :)
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    Notice the non-paged pool memory is 8.1GB. This is typically a sign that a device driver has a memory leak.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Mystere said:
    Notice the non-paged pool memory is 8.1GB. This is typically a sign that a device driver has a memory leak.
    Thank for pointing out abnormal non-paged pool memory usage.
    Now I use process explorer, enable non-paged pool column and found Kaspersky AV use 8.4 gb!!.
    Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage-screenshot-148-.png
    Now uninstall kaspersky and memory usage has dropped
    Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage-screenshot-150-.png
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 46
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       #8

    Gary said:
    I am using 9% with Firefox and a Download from MS working.

    Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage-mem.png
    OK, I went back to the RTM and here are the results from it. Almost the same.

    Build 10525 extremely high unknown ram usage-mm.png
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 19,213
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #9

    I have to ask one question, did you get any warnings about lo free memory ?
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 19
    Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Thread Starter
       #10

    CountMike said:
    I have to ask one question, did you get any warnings about lo free memory ?
    No
    Since I still have plenty of them left

    Even if I have little left windows will use pagefile as virtual memory so windows can still continue running program without force close it.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:02.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums