Can't upgrade to v1903 from v1809

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Willabong's Avatar
    Posts : 175
    Windows 10
       #11

    Remove all USB devices including mouse dongle (if used) and any SD cards etc ..... Then restart and install. You can add your devices after install is complete!
      My Computer

  2. storageman's Avatar
    Posts : 907
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.836
       #12

    Willabong said:
    Remove all USB devices including mouse dongle (if used) and any SD cards etc ..... Then restart and install. You can add your devices after install is complete!
    Are you stating that if your using a USB mouse and/or a USB keyboard (either wired or wireless), they have to be removed prior to installing/upgrading ?

    Then how do you respond to the upgrade prompts for language, etc if you have NO KEYBOARD or MOUSE ?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 v1903
    Thread Starter
       #13

    I use a USB wireless trackball, and didn't have to remove it to upgrade. Only the USB drive.
    Still, if you had to remove them, you can plug them again after the computer restarts for the first time. They just block the beginning of the upgrade.

    In any case, this is a bug. I'm positive it will be resolved when 1903 is widely released.
      My Computer

  4. Willabong's Avatar
    Posts : 175
    Windows 10
       #14

    Many people have no trouble installing 1903 on their laptops even with usb devices installed. But there are a fair percentage that do have problems! We are talking laptops here not desktops!
    The advice given on 10 forums and Microsoft forum is to remove external usb devices before installing, and I am speaking from personal experience with 2 laptops that had the error message about incompatible hardware and failing install. Removing usb hardware and SD card allowed the install to complete without problems, apparently the problem is a known bug and will be fixed before public release!
      My Computer

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 47,405
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #15

    I really think it is any USB device that could be used for storage, not interface devices like KBs and mice, or any dongle associated. Just any drive, of any type.
      My Computers

  6. storageman's Avatar
    Posts : 907
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.836
       #16

    f14tomcat said:
    I really think it is any USB device that could be used for storage, not interface devices like KBs and mice, or any dongle associated. Just any drive, of any type.
    I wonder if a USB Hub would be allowable ? Assuming there are no Storage devices attached to it.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 v1903
    Thread Starter
       #17

    You should read the MS link I posted. The bug is well explained there.

    The issue is with any USB device that creates another letter-drive. A hub, a keyboard, a mouse won't cause the bug.
      My Computer

  8. Willabong's Avatar
    Posts : 175
    Windows 10
       #18

    Don't forget your SD Card will cause the bug! Removing all USB devices is precautionary, I left my mouse connected and even though the install went seemingly well, I ended up with a completely unusable "Settings" menu with more bugs than a Cockroach invasion. SO i rolled back and removed all usb devices including the mouse and the install went ahead without any major faults!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 157
    w10
       #19

    It is amazing how DUMB computers are. You would think it would tell you the problem was a USB device was connected.
    You cannot UPGRADE to 1903 from a thumb drive.
    Copy the files from the thumb drive to a folder on your HDD.
    Unplug all your USB devices.
    It does not seem mind a mouse dongle and probably not a KBD but I can't tell you if there is any issue yet.

    Now for a clean install, that would be hard to do. I assume you can do it as before from the thumb drive but I haven't tried it yet.
      My Computer

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 47,405
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #20

    ruggb said:
    It is amazing how DUMB computers are. You would think it would tell you the problem was a USB device was connected.
    You cannot UPGRADE to 1903 from a thumb drive.
    Copy the files from the thumb drive to a folder on your HDD.
    Unplug all your USB devices.
    It does not seem mind a mouse dongle and probably not a KBD but I can't tell you if there is any issue yet.

    Now for a clean install, that would be hard to do. I assume you can do it as before from the thumb drive but I haven't tried it yet.
    Yes, you can. When you're booted from the thumb, you're running in WinPE. Just pull the thumb at that 10 second mark, and all will be fine.
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums