Insider ISOs - can't get past OOBE stage Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #11

    I had the same issue and managed a work around. When it gets stuck with the oobe error (any) do a shift f10. Bring up cmd, enable the administrator account, change password. And while your at it create a new user and password and add to appropriate groups. Then cd to %windir% system32 oobe. Type msoobe.exe (wait some time around 15 minutes. if it does not continue turn off by holding down power switch) start it back up and it will either login into the netuser0 account or administrator. Wait for setup of the account (if it tries to go through the oobe setup again then you did not wait long enough.) Power cycle as needed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,514
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Interesting.
    Having had the problem on VMs before, I did have the problem on my old physical laptop when upgrading to 1809 the other day, so it's not just an issue on clean installs. Luckily in that case I could get past it with the Try Again option.

    I'm also wondering if there are ways to configure some or most of the OOBE options (with a Provisioning Package or Answer File) to save it getting stuck on those questions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 16,147
    Windows 10 Pro
       #13

    DavidY said: View Post
    I'm also wondering if there are ways to configure some or most of the OOBE options (with a Provisioning Package or Answer File) to save it getting stuck on those questions.
    Unattended answer file for OOBE as shown in this tutorial does exactly that, runs full OOBE without a single question or any user interaction: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 | Tutorials

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,514
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Kari said: View Post
    Unattended answer file for OOBE as shown in this tutorial does exactly that, runs full OOBE without a single question or any user interaction: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 | Tutorials

    Kari
    Thanks Kari,
    I'll bear that in mind and give it a go if I keep getting problems on it.
    I'm hoping they'll fix it in the next Windows release though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #15

    Thanks TR3X77, I was able to get past the OOBE errors with your work-around on a fresh Win 10 install.

    Landed on one of the OOBE errors, then brought up the cmd prompt with Shift+F10 and typed:

    Code:
    net user administrator /active:yes
    
    net user /add owner mypassword
    
    net localgroup administrators owner /add
    
    cd %windir%\system32\oobe
    
    msoobe.exe
    Then I waited a full 15 minutes and powered off via the switch, since it was not continuing.

    After powering back on it continued setup and eventually put me on the Administrator desktop, so I chose log off, and logged into the "owner" account I created earlier. Then brought up lusrmgr.msc and disabled the Administrator account, and deleted the "defaultuser0" account that was orphaned during the failed setup due to the oobe errors.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,514
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
    Thread Starter
       #16

    TheRedeemer said: View Post
    Thanks TR3X77, I was able to get past the OOBE errors with your work-around on a fresh Win 10 install.

    Landed on one of the OOBE errors, then brought up the cmd prompt with Shift+F10 and typed:

    Code:
    net user administrator /active:yes
    
    net user /add owner mypassword
    
    net localgroup administrators owner /add
    
    cd %windir%\system32\oobe
    
    msoobe.exe
    Then I waited a full 15 minutes and powered off via the switch, since it was not continuing.

    After powering back on it continued setup and eventually put me on the Administrator desktop, so I chose log off, and logged into the "owner" account I created earlier. Then brought up lusrmgr.msc and disabled the Administrator account, and deleted the "defaultuser0" account that was orphaned during the failed setup due to the oobe errors.
    Thanks to you and TR3X77 for that.

    Good to know it works for you, although I'd much prefer it if Microsoft fixed it rather than needing to create and then delete an extra account.

    I'm going to try Kari's "answer file" approach next time, I think, to see if that works.
    Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #17

    Omg....I have spent 2 days on this and finally found your post. I had to use the windows on screen keyboard though to type this into the dos window. But after that i waited like you did, powered off, and back on and it bypassed all the crap and went right to getting ready, giving me more hope than I have had for days. Thank you so so much for posting the exact commands to type in, it helped tremendously. I also heard in both the current windows 10 1903 and previous 1809 versions, this error is due to an incompatibility between windows and radeon graphics card, which I think is what this laptop has, but I'm still on the "getting ready" screen, which is farther then I had been. So, just wanted to say thanks for the helpful comment here. Hope the rest of this install goes better now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #18

    TheRedeemer said: View Post
    Thanks TR3X77, I was able to get past the OOBE errors with your work-around on a fresh Win 10 install.
    Thanks to both these guys. Was having the oobekeyboard (and others) issue on a notebook with older ATI graphics. Manually created the account as described, and was finally able to get in. Serious lifesaver!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Microsoft releases Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14342 ISOs for your downloading pleasure 737689801114017792 Source and download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced
BSOD at stage of booting Win (after fixmbr) in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Hi, I have GRUB launcher as MBR, so that give me a choice every time I turn on my laptop to choose between 10 or Linux Mint. Today, I decided to delete Mint, because I dont need him anymore. After deleting that part on disk and resize to D: (as...
An error occured when my installation goes to second stage. Then it recovered my last OS version and said that update fail because this "WindowsUpdate_C1900101 OR WindowsUpdate_dt000". What I have to do? My Windows 10 Update application also gone...
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/05/releasing-isos-for-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10130/ See: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/1946-download-windows-10-insider-preview-iso-file.html
Source: Take the stage at Microsoft Ignite! - Office Blogs
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34.
Find Us