Windows 10: HDMI Forum releases version 2.1 of HDMI specification


  1. Posts : 27,223
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17604
       28 Nov 2017 #1

    HDMI Forum releases version 2.1 of HDMI specification


    SAN JOSE, California – November 28, 2017 - HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI® Specification which is now available to all HDMI 2.0 adopters. This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps.

    Supporting the 48Gbps bandwidth is the new Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. The cable ensures high-bandwidth dependent features are delivered including uncompressed 8K video with HDR. It features exceptionally low EMI (electro-magnetic interference) which reduces interference with nearby wireless devices. The cable is backwards compatible and can be used with the existing installed base of HDMI devices.

    Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the specification, and was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components.

    “The HDMI Forum’s mission is to develop specifications meeting market needs, growing demands for higher performance, and to enable future product opportunities,” said Robert Blanchard of Sony Electronics, president of the HDMI Forum.



    HDMI Specification 2.1 feature highlights include:

    • Higher video resolutions support a range of high resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail. Resolutions up to 10K are also supported for commercial AV, and industrial and specialty usages.
    • Dynamic HDR support ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast and wider color gamuts—on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
    • The Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable supports the 48G bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support. The cable also features very low EMI emission and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.


    • eARC simplifies connectivity, provides greater ease of use, and supports the most advanced audio formats and highest audio quality. It ensures full compatibility between audio devices and upcoming HDMI 2.1 products.
    • Enhanced refresh rate features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video. They include:
      • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
      • Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.
      • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.
    • Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.

    Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification and is available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters.

    The HDMI 2.1 Compliance Test Specification (CTS) will be published in stages during Q1-Q3 2018, and HDMI adopters will be notified when it is available.


    Sources:
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 18,895
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       30 Nov 2017 #2

    My 2¢'s on the subject:

    The Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable supports the 48G bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support. The cable also features very low EMI emission and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
    Why???
    For television, what satellite, or cable company can transmit that bandwidth?
    Not to mention ISP's, even fibre optics has it's limits(more than most people think).

    Uncompressed? How large storage will a product like a movie need?
    You can forget Blu Ray or DVD, you'll need an ssd..
    What about how much RAM you'll need to prevent buffering?

    Higher video resolutions support a range of high resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail. Resolutions up to 10K are also supported for commercial AV, and industrial and specialty usages.
    For PC's Windows can't even get 4K right, and they're talking about 8K & 10K
    Again how long will the buffering be, when streaming
    And how about downloading something that's in 10K?

    This is just ridiculous
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    30 Nov 2017 #3

    Hey cliff......if you look back at all the Resolution upgrades over the past decades......you pose the exact same questions now as some did 10, 20 and even 30 years ago. That is until hardware was produced for it at an affordable consumer level. Just look back at the digital TV debacle and what it meant for the average TV household. We all had to wait until all the TV, cable, satellite providers all got on board (updated their hardware). Which took a long time. Now we just take it for granted. Then the release of HD TV and the cost of them.

    It will all catch up sooner or later.....in the meantime we do what we always do....wait!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 18,895
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       30 Nov 2017 #4

    Plankton said: View Post
    Hey cliff......if you look back at all the Resolution upgrades over the past decades......you pose the exact same questions now as some did 10, 20 and even 30 years ago. That is until hardware was produced for it at an affordable consumer level. Just look back at the digital TV debacle and what it meant for the average TV household. We all had to wait until all the TV, cable, satellite providers all got on board (updated their hardware). Which took a long time. Now we just take it for granted. Then the release of HD TV and the cost of them.

    It will all catch up sooner or later.....in the meantime we do what we always do....wait!
    For TV never, you need to compress, and will always have artifacts, the higher the resolution.
    The only people that will really be able to take advantage of this truly, are photographers, graphics designers, and tech designers, that can use uncompressed RAW files, to better manipulate what they need.

    Also scientist, will be able to use it for better imaging on the Nano scale(and smaller), but don't expect to see your favorite rugby team live in true 8K or 10K, upscaled maybe...
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    30 Nov 2017 #5

    Cliff S said: View Post
    For TV never, you need to compress, and will always have artifacts, the higher the resolution.
    The only people that will really be able to take advantage of this truly, are photographers, graphics designers, and tech designers, that can use uncompressed RAW files, to better manipulate what they need.

    Also scientist, will be able to use it for better imaging on the Nano scale(and smaller), but don't expect to see your favorite rugby team live in true 8K or 10K, upscaled maybe...
    Agreed....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,640
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       30 Nov 2017 #6

    How many times in the past has it been said "It can`t be done"?.....and been proved otherwise.
    Not long ago it was claimed SSD,s could never overcome read speeds with bottlenecks above 550mbs, now we have M2 with its 3500mbs read speeds.

    Technology moves forever onward and upwards, and what seems impossible now will be possible in the future.

    Negative attitudes are anathema to creative minds.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 18,895
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       30 Nov 2017 #7

    dencal said: View Post
    How many times in the past has it been said "It can`t be done"?.....and been proved otherwise.
    Not long ago it was claimed SSD,s could never overcome read speeds with bottlenecks above 550mbs, now we have M2 with its 3500mbs read speeds.

    Technology moves forever onward and upwards, and what seems impossible now will be possible in the future.

    Negative attitudes are anathema to creative minds.
    Tell me dencal, do you have uncompressed 4K TV, or uncompressed YouTube streaming?
    4K has been around a while now...
    I don't even get that with 1080p.
    Our cable company and TV senders send only either 780p or 1080i.
    Personally I can see when something has been compressed. Plus it also has to do with the bit rate something is streamed/sent.
    We'll be waiting a looooong time for 8K & 10K
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    30 Nov 2017 #8

    Like I said...it's a waiting game. Once the law was passed it took 5 years for the digital TV to move forward for everyone. Then there were the 2 extensions for it. So we wait and wait.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,640
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       30 Nov 2017 #9

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Tell me dencal, do you have uncompressed 4K TV, or uncompressed YouTube streaming?
    4K has been around a while now...
    I don't even get that with 1080p.
    Our cable company and TV senders send only either 780p or 1080i.
    Personally I can see when something has been compressed. Plus it also has to do with the bit rate something is streamed/sent.
    We'll be waiting a looooong time for 8K & 10K
    Your post is about now......my previous post was about future advances in technology, no mention of a time scale.

    Don't be so bloody negative.....if everyone thought like yourself no advancements would ever be made.

    I am old enough to remember aeroplanes with propellers, and having worked in aerospace industries have noted the enormous strides made technology wise, In particular the enormous benefit of computers with the introduction of CAD/CAM.

    All this undreamed of when I was a young man.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    30 Nov 2017 #10

    Just because we don't have anything (commercially) out now that takes advantage of the current tech available doesn't mean it's useless. It just means there isn't anything commercially available to consumers yet.

    We have to start somewhere. And yeah, if we listened to the negatives, we wouldn't have a lot of the technology we have today. Again, we have to start somewhere. And as I like to say, technology marches onward, not backwards.

    My two cents.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi there I actually LIKE the SKY Q package -- also now 4K UHD available - and it's cheaper than the SKY HD + if you are selective in what you choose (apart from the up front cost). BUT 1) only 1 HDMI output at back of box so get HDMI...
Source: HDMI :: Press Release
Hi there Brilliant little device for passing HDMI (less HDCP !!) plus RCA L, R Audio and 5.1 Optical Audio (SPDIF). Switchable audio pass thru,, 2Ch, 5.1 ch. (Max HDMI input is 1080p so won't work for your 4K huge TV's though) - still an...
Solved HDMI and DVI in Graphic Cards
On PC monitors is the image better on a "HDMI" then a "DVI" connection?
I want to use 2 displays using HDMI, but the only problem is that when I plug in my HDMI to my TV through the motherboard, it does not work. I know some do not support it which is why I am coming here. My mother board and graphics card are in my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59.
Find Us