Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17046 for PC Insider

Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       11 Dec 2017 #521

    martyfelker said: View Post
    Nothing in the crystal ball Tony. When we have gone this long without a build I just don't have a feeling for what MS is up to. It would be interesting if somebody leaked the corporate structure of the Insider Program. But even if we had that the decision making around Insider Releases is probably quite complicated. Not only is there the mystery around why some people have had enormous difficulties updating. I have not (except for the Intel only build!) but I don't think I can remember an upgrade even taking as much as 2 hrs - even on a VM. Well, I'm copying 1/2 TB of VMware VMs from Linux to Windows Server 2016. But I'm working with VirtualBox testbuilds also.
    I just get this feeling that problems have snow balled on them and the need to slow down a bit is all.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    12 Dec 2017 #522

    Maybe one of the reasons for the delay is they’re working on a microcode update for the older Intel based systems.
    That would resolve my problem of not being able to update to any of the RS-4s

    Win 10 RS-4 not compatible with Intel DX58SO motherboard
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    12 Dec 2017 #523

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    I just get this feeling that problems have snow balled on them and the need to slow down a bit is all.
    Agreed

    Occams Razor principle - the simplest answer is usually correct.

    The next build is probably the first RS4 build with a really significant nrw feature in Timeline. It is a big feature and brand new to us, so it hardly surprising that things have been delayed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    12 Dec 2017 #524

    bordi said: View Post
    Maybe one of the reasons for the delay is they’re working on a microcode update for the older Intel based systems.
    That would resolve my problem of not being able to update to any of the RS-4s

    Win 10 RS-4 not compatible with Intel DX58SO motherboard
    I doubt MS would hold back release for an older specific mobo.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    12 Dec 2017 #525

    cereberus said: View Post
    I doubt MS would hold back release for an older specific mobo.
    Just wishful thinking on my part
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,301
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17046/Windows Server 2016/Debian Sid
       12 Dec 2017 #526

    I also don't think MS cares about older hardware but it is possible that the hold-up is related to negotitations with hardware vendors, and particularly Intel. Really the only "crystal ball" I have is buildfeed and it is somewhat unusual that a build (17058) compiled on last Thursday is the latest canary. Like most people I just trying to keep up with Debian and getting more adventurous about compiling the latest version of some programs that are not updated by aptitude dist-upgrade (like the latest version of Evolution which I compiled directly from the Debian Sid repos (sorry for drifting off-topic for this forum - give me a new Insider build and I'll happily talk about it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    12 Dec 2017 #527

    martyfelker said: View Post
    I also don't think MS cares about older hardware but it is possible that the hold-up is related to negotitations with hardware vendors, and particularly Intel. Really the only "crystal ball" I have is buildfeed and it is somewhat unusual that a build (17058) compiled on last Thursday is the latest canary. Like most people I just trying to keep up with Debian and getting more adventurous about compiling the latest version of some programs that are not updated by aptitude dist-upgrade (like the latest version of Evolution which I compiled directly from the Debian Sid repos (sorry for drifting off-topic for this forum - give me a new Insider build and I'll happily talk about it.
    With free upgrade offer ending at year's end, there's even less incentive for MS (or any SW developer) to care about older HW. The onus is mostly on HW manufacturers to support own products and they care even less about their EOL hardware. They'd rather have you buy new stuff.
    As far as new build, given MS announcements about new stuff and that it's only a start for RS4, I'm not surprised at all that they are not coming in thick at this time. In couple of month maybe as time for spring update get's closer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    12 Dec 2017 #528

    CountMike said: View Post
    With free upgrade offer ending at year's end

    With free upgrade offer POTENTIALLY ending at year's end.

    MS have only announced the assistive
    programme is ending. It is possible the unofficial free upgrade will end but we do actually know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    12 Dec 2017 #529

    cereberus said: View Post
    With free upgrade offer POTENTIALLY ending at year's end.

    MS have only announced the assistive
    programme is ending. It is possible the unofficial free upgrade will end but we do actually know.
    AS far as I know, "Assistive" was only official option for free upgrade quite a while back. Will see how long it will be unofficially allowed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,132
    Windows 10 Pro x64 FCU - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       12 Dec 2017 #530

    I think that the whole point of the change in sales / development / Upgrade model used for Windows 10 is to break the initial cycle of 10 year support that we have all got used to. The support of older hardware that the older model imposes on Microsoft has to be very expensive to maintain.

    A new system where there are two releases a year with support for two years after the release of the successor to the current release, follows more the model that the hardware manufacturers follow, and of course limited backdated support for older hardware helps the manufacturer sell more new hardware so they are not likely to complain.

    The Depreciation Cycle for a lot of businesses is also around three years, for IT equipment, (in an ideal financial market but can exceed this as it has done for many over the last few years due to the 2008 Bankers debacle),so this fits in with their Tax cycles
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE 11/22: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17046 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 931221002532503552 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17040 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
UPDATE 11/16: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast+Skip Ahead Build 17040 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 928321775498170368 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17035 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
918976964165230592 918950777619484672 918884711891550208 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17017 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
900402809685721088 900405174786695168 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16273 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
903302171319427076 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16353 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07.
Find Us