Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17046 for PC Insider

Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,341
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1709
       01 Dec 2017 #261

    Superfly said: View Post
    Fair enough... but releasing a build that precludes a specific CPU is premature IMHO... surely beta builds need to garner info from the broadest spectrum?

    Totally agree with that and I posted a similar comment on another thread on the forum regarding the aMD problem. I got replies telling me that this was only to be expected and I should realise that this was only a beta build.
    For me a build that doesn't work with a particular CPU isn't a beta build, it's Pre Alpha.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,304
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17046/Windows Server 2016/Debian Sid
       01 Dec 2017 #262

    DooGie said: View Post
    Totally agree with that and I posted a similar comment on another thread on the forum regarding the aMD problem. I got replies telling me that this was only to be expected and I should realise that this was only a beta build.
    For me a build that doesn't work with a particular CPU isn't a beta build, it's Pre Alpha.
    I agree. The AMD fiasco was probably a low point. I seriously doubt that will happen again. Hope I don't have to eat my words.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,271
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       01 Dec 2017 #263

    martyfelker said: View Post
    I agree. The AMD fiasco was probably a low point. I seriously doubt that will happen again. Hope I don't have to eat my words.
    I'm almost willing to take that bet, as it is a sucker's bet.

    1) This is Micro$oft we're talking about

    2) More than a couple of software companies have had fiascos nearly as bad at one time or another.

    3) See #1

    I will say this: if I DID take the bet, and lost, I would not at all be upset about losing it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,304
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17046/Windows Server 2016/Debian Sid
       02 Dec 2017 #264

    I was trying to be literal. I don't think that Microsoft will release another insider preview that would leave numbers of testers in such a predicament. I admit that is more hopeful than I usually would be
    There is one AMD/Intel incompatibility that irritates me. That is that nested Hyper-V machine (running Hyper-V inside a Hyper-V VM) is only allowed on newer Intel chips.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    02 Dec 2017 #265

    martyfelker said: View Post
    I was trying to be literal. I don't think that Microsoft will release another insider preview that would leave numbers of testers in such a predicament. I admit that is more hopeful than I usually would be
    There is one AMD/Intel incompatibility that irritates me. That is that nested Hyper-V machine (running Hyper-V inside a Hyper-V VM) is only allowed on newer Intel chips.
    There is a difference between only allowed and only possible. Hell if you use old chips, you cannot even use Hyper-V on host. That's life!
    Last edited by cereberus; 02 Dec 2017 at 03:07.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,304
    Triple Boot Windows 10 IP Build 17046/Windows Server 2016/Debian Sid
       02 Dec 2017 #266

    Build 17051 compiled Tues is the current canary. So guessing 17054 or 17055 will be released to us next week. However, I don't know if build number for the A/B will be different.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    02 Dec 2017 #267

    Has anybody got an invite for a/b ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Dec 2017 #268

    martyfelker said: View Post
    I was trying to be literal. I don't think that Microsoft will release another insider preview that would leave numbers of testers in such a predicament. I admit that is more hopeful than I usually would be
    There is one AMD/Intel incompatibility that irritates me. That is that nested Hyper-V machine (running Hyper-V inside a Hyper-V VM) is only allowed on newer Intel chips.
    Such a predicament maybe not, but they announced other "predicaments" with limited number of insiders.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,921
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       02 Dec 2017 #269

    DooGie said: View Post
    Totally agree with that and I posted a similar comment on another thread on the forum regarding the aMD problem. I got replies telling me that this was only to be expected and I should realise that this was only a beta build.
    For me a build that doesn't work with a particular CPU isn't a beta build, it's Pre Alpha.
    I absolutely agree with this statement!

    But it makes me wonder what drastic changes the devs has made to cause these issues. I bet they have re-enabled some ancient kernel code for some new and exciting features, like they did for the Linux Subsystem. :-)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    02 Dec 2017 #270

    slicendice said: View Post
    I absolutely agree with this statement!

    But it makes me wonder what drastic changes the devs has made to cause these issues. I bet they have re-enabled some ancient kernel code for some new and exciting features, like they did for the Linux Subsystem. :-)
    I think it may have something to do with adjusting to new and coming AMD processors which are all new ballpark and all are not definitively defined yet.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 27 of 68 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE 11/22: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17046 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 931221002532503552 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17040 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
UPDATE 11/16: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast+Skip Ahead Build 17040 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 928321775498170368 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17035 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
918976964165230592 918950777619484672 918884711891550208 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17017 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
900402809685721088 900405174786695168 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16273 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
903302171319427076 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16353 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51.
Find Us