Windows 10: Flaws found in Intel Management Engine (ME), TXE and SPS

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Dec 2017 #110

    FWIW: I used to be an AMD guy.....my first OEM was an AMD then my first custom build was an AMD. They just never seem to have the kick or pep so I thought (benchmarks). So I went with Intel on my next build. Luckily, my Intel build is not infected Gen 4 i7 4790K CPU. With all the horror stories of the latest series from Intel....I'm thinking of going back to AMD and the Ryzen series.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 606
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1803 17134.48
       01 Dec 2017 #111

    @Plankton I just switched to my first Intel based system since being on AMD since 2003, but with all the latest Intel security issues almost was like darn I should've gotten a Ryzen based AMD lol, but then again this issue should be all patched up by January 2018 according to Asus finally released Support information list lol on one of the Intel sites that list all the vendors, and support information

    Overall though I am happy with my Intel based system, nice and speedy, and fast, my older AMD FX 8310 still in service currently as Insider PC at the moment, thought almost thought of transferring it's 2tb drive over to this one for storage, but then again I might just get a newer Seagate or Western Digital for storage for this new Intel in future
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 266
    Windows 10 x64 17134.81
       14 Dec 2017 #112

    Intel to slap hardware lock on Management Engine code to thwart downgrade attacks

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12...arebased_lock/
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    14 Dec 2017 #113

    Gigabyte Z270 board BIOS update released - F8. Intel test passed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,299
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       15 Dec 2017 #114

    Hi,
    Released new bios 1004 no telling if it actually would pass the test now nobody has said one way or another if it does.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 352
    10 Home 64-bit | v1803 | Build -17134.1
       15 Dec 2017 #115

    I have a 7year old Gateway DX4831 desktop and two, year old Lenovo's and all three are vulnerable. I'm not too concerned about the lenovos but the gateway has to go through Acer, I did go onto their site and they don't have my model listed so I have to contact them later an see what's up.

    Something I thought of; How many millions of these machines won't be updated simply because their owners haven't heard of this vulnerability, businesses and corporations yes but regular users?
    Has anyone heard of any news about this on the local or national news
    yet? It's been three weeks now and I haven't, I learned about this just yesterday by perusing the W10 News forum. I guess the shite will hit the fan at the blackhat conference reveal, when was that? Two weeks ago for Europe?

    2nd thought; If Microsoft and Intel are business partners why don't they collaborate and have microsoft push the fix out through windows updates instead of the user having to track down the fix? I agree, it would be a logistical nightmare but hey, it wasn't my lack of quality control that let this bug slip through.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 19,852
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       15 Dec 2017 #116

    Anak said: View Post
    I have a 7year old Gateway DX4831 desktop and two, year old Lenovo's and all three are vulnerable. I'm not too concerned about the lenovos but the gateway has to go through Acer, I did go onto their site and they don't have my model listed so I have to contact them later an see what's up.

    Something I thought of; How many millions of these machines won't be updated simply because their owners haven't heard of this vulnerability, businesses and corporations yes but regular users?
    Has anyone heard of any news about this on the local or national news
    yet? It's been three weeks now and I haven't, I learned about this just yesterday by perusing the W10 News forum. I guess the shite will hit the fan at the blackhat conference reveal, when was that? Two weeks ago for Europe?

    2nd thought; If Microsoft and Intel are business partners why don't they collaborate and have microsoft push the fix out through windows updates instead of the user having to track down the fix? I agree, it would be a logistical nightmare but hey, it wasn't my lack of quality control that let this bug slip through.
    It would be good if Microsoft could push the fix, but to my knowledge, it can't. I don't think software (Windows 10) can actually touch firmware (Intel's Processors). At least, in my experience, updating BIOS has to happen upon bootup/entering BIOS.

    Of course, if someone can prove me wrong, I wouldn't mind a bit! :)
    Last edited by Wynona; 15 Dec 2017 at 12:39.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 18,577
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       15 Dec 2017 #117

    Wynona said: View Post
    It would be good if Microsoft could push the fix, but to my knowledge, it can't. I don't think software (Windows 10) can actually touch firmware (Intel's Processors). At least, in my experience, updating BIOS has to happen upon bootup/entering BIOS.

    Of course, if someone can prove me wrong, I wouldn't mind a bit! :)
    HP pushed the fix to my lappy through a windows installer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    15 Dec 2017 #118

    I wrote a blog post last Friday on how I got my Asrock Extreme7+ Z170 board updated. Anybody who's got an Asrock motherboard should check their Web page entitled "Intel Firmware Vulnerability Intel-SA-00086" for links to downloads for the necessary firmware updates. WARNING!!: The App Shop update pushed last Friday does NOT address the vulnerability (as a check with the Intel scanning tool will show).
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 19,852
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       15 Dec 2017 #119

    kado897 said: View Post
    HP pushed the fix to my lappy through a windows installer.
    Wow, Keith, I'd be most interested in seeing the particulars on that one!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    Researchers say Intel's Management Engine feature can be switched off | ZDNet
    Hello as Question title says. I'm having difficulty finding the drivers on the Intel website Support and Drivers menu. Drivers needed: Intel Chipset & Intel Management Engine Im using a Z170 motherboard with an I7 6700K. OS Windows 10 64Bit...
    Intel Management Engine in Drivers and Hardware
    What is Intel Management Engine Components. I have a Dell Precision Tower 7910 and Laptop Precision 7710. they have the Intel Management Engine Components installed. I am running Win 10. I am not on a corporate network. The Intel Management...
    I can't seem to find this in the Intel Download Center anywhere. I have an Alienware M14X R1, and the IMEI driver listed on Dell's support website for my model is several years old and severely out of date. Windows Update doesn't seem to have it...
    Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Version 11.0.0.1163 WHQL Download: http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1723&lang=en
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:52.
    Find Us