Windows 10: Behind the creation of Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer killer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    29 Jul 2015 #1

    Behind the creation of Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer killer


    Internet Explorer turns 20 this year, but there will be no celebrations. Instead, IE is being pushed off the Windows desktop in favor of a new web browsing experience: Microsoft Edge.

    Internet Explorer is not dead, nor will it be missing from Windows 10 when it ships on July 29. Instead, it will be like the ironing board you take out of the closet when you absolutely have no choice but to iron that shirt. You’ll use IE when Microsoft Edge’s forward-leaning technology doesn’t support the outmoded past.

    Source: Inside the creation of Microsoft Edge, the Internet Explorer killer
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jul 2015 #2

    I am posting this from the "old and familiar" IE. Edge needs to mature a bit before I use it full time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jul 2015 #3

    LittleJay said: View Post
    I am posting this from the "old and familiar" IE. Edge needs to mature a bit before I use it full time.
    We all know what that means. You want a certain plug-in that we can't talk about.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jul 2015 #4

    Mystere said: View Post
    We all know what that means. You want a certain plug-in that we can't talk about.
    Yup....mums the word.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    29 Jul 2015 #5

    Chrome is where all my stuff is at, so I'm sticking to Chrome regardless.

    Edge seems nice, but I'm not sure I want to switch over to it just yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jul 2015 #6

    Edge can never be an anything killer until it gets extension support, no matter how lightning fast it may be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jul 2015 #7

    SilverTelperion said: View Post
    Edge can never be an anything killer until it gets extension support, no matter how lightning fast it may be.
    Amen! Web browsers are not usable in this day and age without an ad blocker!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Jul 2015 #8

    Oooops, you spoke the name that cannot be spoken!

    There are also some mods that need to be done to favorites e.g allow blank names, allow in-place editing of names, allow drag to favorites bar.

    Also, the left back arrow needs the long click to allow choice of how far back to go.

    Ermm, why don't the Edge programmers look at Chrome? This really works for me. They might even look at IE!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Jul 2015 #9

    linw said: View Post
    Oooops, you spoke the name that cannot be spoken!

    There are also some mods that need to be done to favorites e.g allow blank names, allow in-place editing of names, allow drag to favorites bar.

    Also, the left back arrow needs the long click to allow choice of how far back to go.

    Ermm, why don't the Edge programmers look at Chrome? This really works for me. They might even look at IE!!
    First of all, when it comes to browsers there are two things. The rendering engine, and the "chrome" (not to be confused with Google Chrome). The Edge rendering engine is amazing, so long as you don't need legacy rendering support. They have killed off all non-standard compatibility. This is a good thing, no matter how painful it may be for some people. The Edge rendering engine is very advanced.

    The Edge "Chrome" is not as mature, as they haven't been working on it as long. The "Chrome" is the UI basically around the rendered content.

    Both rendering and chrome will get better, and probably pretty quickly. I would guess by the end of the year Edge will be much more fancy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    30 Jul 2015 #10

    LittleJay said: View Post
    Yup....mums the word.
    Its in the works. . .that mum thing. . .,
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
How to Open Website in Microsoft Edge with Internet Explorer Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. This...
Source: Microsoft confirms the death of Internet Explorer
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:07.
Find Us