Windows 10: How to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Oct 2017 #410

    Windows Update just changed to preparing to install updates and then I received these.

    I had planned on a manual clean installation. Do I have no choice but to do the upgrade now or can I keep delaying it somehow?

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    24 Oct 2017 #411

    you can delay it for as long as it shows in that menu you have up there, but after that it will install by itself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 20,040
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       24 Oct 2017 #412

    You can delay it by remembering to go the the same menu and altering the date every 5 - 6 days. At some point the ability to reschedule will be gone or at some point you will forget to alter the date. Then the update happens when you least expect it. Been there done that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,319
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       24 Oct 2017 #413

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Windows Update just changed to preparing to install updates and then I received these.

    I had planned on a manual clean installation. Do I have no choice but to do the upgrade now or can I keep delaying it somehow?

    Tonyb said: View Post
    you can delay it for as long as it shows in that menu you have up there, but after that it will install by itself.
    zbook said: View Post
    You can delay it by remembering to go the the same menu and altering the date every 5 - 6 days. At some point the ability to reschedule will be gone or at some point you will forget to alter the date. Then the update happens when you least expect it. Been there done that.
    Agree with all the above. Delay it until 10/31 for now, that's a week out. Get yourself backed up and cleaned up. Use the MCT to get a bootable thumb or DVD, or the ISO to make your own. Or both. Then you can do your clean install before you have to delay again.

    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    24 Oct 2017 #414

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Agree with all the above. Delay it until 10/31 for now, that's a week out. Get yourself backed up and cleaned up. Use the MCT to get a bootable thumb or DVD, or the ISO to make your own. Or both. Then you can do your clean install before you have to delay again.

    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Sounds like a plan.

    Suppose I hadn't manually checked for the update is it very likely it would have auto downloaded very soon anyway?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    25 Oct 2017 #415

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Sounds like a plan.

    Suppose I hadn't manually checked for the update is it very likely it would have auto downloaded very soon anyway?
    Check out this tutorial and finds the best option for your case until you are ready to do the clean install:

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 21,188
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18219
       25 Oct 2017 #416

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Sounds like a plan.

    Suppose I hadn't manually checked for the update is it very likely it would have auto downloaded very soon anyway?
    Probably. :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    25 Oct 2017 #417

    I delayed the installation to Tuesday 31 October but when am I able to further delay it because Restart options has been grayed out again...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.   My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 55
    Windows 10 Insider Build 17134.5
       27 Oct 2017 #419

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Windows Update just changed to preparing to install updates and then I received these.

    I had planned on a manual clean installation. Do I have no choice but to do the upgrade now or can I keep delaying it somehow?

    There is another choice to delaying the update re-start...and that is to delete the downloaded update files.

    Copy the following text and save as "erase_download.bat" then run the batch file as "administrator"

    takeown /f c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download /r /d y
    net stop wuauserv
    CD %Windir%
    CD SoftwareDistribution
    rmdir /S /Q Download
    md Download
    net start wuauserv

    The above will let you "Take Ownership" of the downloaded update files, stop the Windows Update service, delete the "Download" folder, then recreate an empty version of the Download folder, then re-start the Windows Update service.

    You also want to delete the C:\$WINDOWS.~BT folder off the root drive.

    Then, turn off Windows Insider so you don't download any more updates for now. You can turn it on again when you decide to rejoin the program.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: New Map Control features in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Building Apps for Windows
Source: Windows Developer Day in London - Windows 10 Fall Creators Update SDK Availability - Building Apps for Windows 917796685367074816
Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
Source: What's new in Windows Defender ATP Fall Creators Update Windows Security
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:14.
Find Us