Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17017 for PC Insider

Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
  1.    21 Oct 2017 #551

    slicendice said: View Post
    YOU are the one not getting it?

    I just updated ALL Store Apps on both my Skip Ahead and Fast Ring build 17017 VMs.

    On Fast Ring most apps are 10-200 revisions behind compared to Skip Ahead. Not all apps though. So before you come and say I need to check my facts, maybe you should take your own advice and check your facts before raging about me speculating.

    So the bottom line is that these rings behave differently and that Skip Ahead is very much alive! PERIOD!

    I did check and mine were updated to latest !
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,921
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       21 Oct 2017 #552

    cereberus said: View Post
    I did check and mine were updated to latest !
    Well, I updated everything (about 20 apps) on Fast Ring 5 minutes ago, and they are still behind Skip Ahead. But as I said, not all apps a different, but many are.

    UPDATE: Check attachments for my packages, they are in random order. I will try to script this at some point so we can get an automated comparison report:

    packages_17017_fast_Ring.txt
    packages_17017_skip_ahead.txt
    Last edited by slicendice; 21 Oct 2017 at 03:40. Reason: Added attachments
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    21 Oct 2017 #553

    slicendice said: View Post
    Well, I updated everything (about 20 apps) on Fast Ring 5 minutes ago, and they are still behind Skip Ahead. But as I said, not all apps a different, but many are.

    UPDATE: Check attachments for my packages, they are in random order. I will try to script this at some point so we can get an automated comparison report:

    packages_17017_fast_Ring.txt
    packages_17017_skip_ahead.txt
    I guess the merging of the Rings is bugged as we are getting different results. I can accept setting the skip ahead flag probably bypasses it. No point in wasting time doing more checks.

    Let's just wait until next build which will be unique as it was neither started from Skippy or Fast Ring. Then we can clean install it with flag set or not and compare differences then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,921
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       21 Oct 2017 #554

    cereberus said: View Post
    I guess the merging of the Rings is bugged as we are getting different results. I can accept setting the skip ahead flag probably bypasses it. No point in wasting time doing more checks.

    Let's just wait until next build which will be unique as it was neither started from Skippy or Fast Ring. Then we can clean install it with flag set or not and compare differences then.
    The UUP upgrade files are identical for Fast Ring and Skip Ahead, but because of the difference in Insider Settings, they behave differently when it comes to additional packages and their versions. It does not matter what path you have taken to arrive at build 17017.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    21 Oct 2017 #555

    slicendice said: View Post
    The UUP upgrade files are identical for Fast Ring and Skip Ahead, but because of the difference in Insider Settings, they behave differently when it comes to additional packages and their versions. It does not matter what path you have taken to arrive at build 17017.
    Yes - I understand that but I believe something is tangled up with settings, I do not believe it is MS's intent to keep two sub Rings going, and I think that they have not properly merged the Two Rings, and the differing results we are seeing is is due to buggy behaviour. That is why I am going to wait for next upgrade, to see what the situation is then.

    I cannot see any point now Rings have merged NOT to give all users latest apps. It made sense before FAST Ring moved to RS4, as it was quite possible some of the latest apps would not make the cut for RS3. This is not the case now - it will only become applicable when RS5 is under development.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 Oct 2017 #556

    Only with next insider build shall we see if they merged them or not and/or to what extent.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    21 Oct 2017 #557

    CountMike said: View Post
    Only with next insider build shall we see if they merged them or not and/or to what extent.
    Agreed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,921
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.192 (Branch: RS3 Release)
       21 Oct 2017 #558

    I invite all Android users to Hello from Edge on Android thread.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 10,655
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       21 Oct 2017 #559

    CountMike said: View Post
    Only with next insider build shall we see if they merged them or not and/or to what extent.
    Once separated, they'll merge exponentially, like anything else in universe
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    21 Oct 2017 #560

    AndreTen said: View Post
    Once separated, they'll merge exponentially, like anything else in universe
    But they say that universe is expanding !!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast

Related Threads
900402809685721088 900405174786695168 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16273 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
913162233252892672 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17004 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
UPDATE: 9/27: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 908013519697616896 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16362 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog
UPDATE 9/22: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 16296 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 910700796425072640 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16294 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
903302171319427076 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16353 for PC (Skip Ahead) - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Choose Your Insider Ring Level on your...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:49.
Find Us