Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 17004 for PC Insider

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
  1. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #280

    f14tomcat said:
    Not trying to stir the pot here, but isn't the Edge history the history of sites visited? And the Timeline thing a way to open previous apps/documents and such from previous sessions? I'm a little confused. Really just asking cause they look different to me.
    That is why I described it like restore points on steroids - you are rewinding things like restore points but much more so.
      My Computer

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,102
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #281

    dencal said:
    You are absolutely right, I have been out of a working environment for so long (20 years) it never occurred that anything other than browsing was involved.....apologies to cereberus and yourself if I mislead.

    Regarding Opening previous Apps and Documents and being able to add to or amend them could create serious security problems on highly sensitive information if hackers managed to gain access.
    Not to mention "over the shoulders" eyes, and a big oops! Think we need a whole bunch more details!
      My Computers

  3. Josey Wales's Avatar
    Posts : 24,731
    Win 10 Pro 19043.928
       #282
      My Computer

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,102
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #283

    Thanks, Josey.

    First impression....the current Task View to open multiple desktops works fine, and I occasionally use it, but because it forgot everything as soon as you logged off or did a restart, limited value.....at best. Now it appears it's going to "remember" all those somehow as Task Views (Desktops and all you did). Explorer is going to be a busy process! All the more reason to open Explorer in a separate process.
      My Computers

  5. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #284

    Update:

    Hey #WindowsInsiders: no new builds today. Please do check your ring settings as the next one will be RS4--looking to later this week.
      My Computers

  6. smactilactus's Avatar
    Posts : 606
    latest Win10 Insider build
       #285

    dencal said:
    You are absolutely right, I have been out of a working environment for so long (20 years) it never occurred that anything other than browsing was involved.....apologies to cereberus and yourself if I mislead.Regarding Opening previous Apps and Documents and being able to add to or amend them could create serious security problems on highly sensitive information if hackers managed to gain access.
    That was the first thing I thought about when I heard this. The thing to pay attention to, is when big companies are offering things which appear to make our lives easier, it is usually at a hidden price to our freedoms and/or security. So while it sounds cool, taking the time to educate to all that it does, and doesn't do, will be an important step.
    It appears to me that skippy is too problematic, and so I will just stay on fast ring as they will eventually merge anyway.
      My Computer

  7. martyfelker's Avatar
    Posts : 2,434
    Windows Insider Fast Ring LatestKUuuntu 20.10
       #286

    Guess I'll pick up RS4 on Friday. For the next two days, I'm out of town.
      My Computers

  8. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,013
    Windows10
       #287

    smactilactus said:
    That was the first thing I thought about when I heard this. The thing to pay attention to, is when big companies are offering things which appear to make our lives easier, it is usually at a hidden price to our freedoms and/or security. So while it sounds cool, taking the time to educate to all that it does, and doesn't do, will be an important step.
    It appears to me that skippy is too problematic, and so I will just stay on fast ring as they will eventually merge anyway.
    So how is timeline different from any tool that backs up data online, has online image backups etc. With good firewalls etc, I do see any more risk than any other situations.

    Of course, one would not be obliged to use it I am sure.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #288

    "Pick up where I left off" is a feature in Cortana introduced in CU. Really nothing that new. I get this with a notification upon boot. It lists apps I used in the last session. One must be signed into a device with the Microsoft account and have this activated.

    Here’s some good reading on what’s to come.

    Microsoft reaches beyond Windows with Timeline and Pick Up Where I Left Off | Ars Technica

    Cortana Notebook adds Connected Home integrations for Hue, Nest, more | Windows Central

    Attachment 157550

    Attachment 157551
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #289

    martyfelker said:
    Guess I'll pick up RS4 on Friday. For the next two days, I'm out of town.
    Have a good and safe trip, Marty. I'm heading out for a long weekend trip myself.
      My Computers


 
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums