Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 16299 for PC Insider

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
  1. larc919's Avatar
    Posts : 3,087
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #250

    Dave44 said:
    yes RTM will be another build
    If I'm recalling correctly, 15063 got a few updates before it became the version that got general release. You don't think it could be 16299.something for this one?
      My Computer

  2. Dave44's Avatar
    Posts : 1,147
    Windows 10 Pro
       #251

    larc919 said:
    If I'm recalling correctly, 15063 got a few updates before it became the version that got general release. You don't think it could be 16299.something for this one?
    time will tell but think be one more built that be RTM we will see
      My Computer

  3. LEOPEVA64's Avatar
    Posts : 2,024
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 build 19042.685
       #252

    Cliff S said:
    Gabe wouldn't
    The current head of the Windows Insider Program is Dona Sarkar, not Gabriel Aul and if she uses that term, we can also use it, IMHO.
      My Computer

  4. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,534
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #253
      My Computers

  5. Dave44's Avatar
    Posts : 1,147
    Windows 10 Pro
       #254

    2 years ago that article and Dona used RTM term as shown earlier in thread
      My Computer

  6. larc919's Avatar
    Posts : 3,087
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #255

    Microsoft can call the build that gets general release what they want to call it and we can call it what we want to call it.
      My Computer

  7. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,534
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #256

    Dave44 said:
    2 years ago that article and Dona used RTM term as shown earlier in thread
    And does she treat us insiders like users & geeks, like Gabe, or like little kids?
    [hint]
    No downtime for Hustle-As-A-Service, Dona <3
    [/hint]
      My Computers

  8. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,534
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #257

    Microsoft is pretty lousy at naming any how.
    Now the latest version for non-insider builds, isn't called "Current Branch" anymore, now they call it "Semi-Annual Channel" depending on the revision.
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 16299 for PC-image.png
      My Computers

  9. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,644
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #258

    RTM = Released to Manufacturing (or Ready to Manufacture, as I like to call it)

    IS a very relevant term which enables us to identify the build which is feature complete and has no time expiry:
    It is the base build (eg 15063.0 etc...) from where computer system manufacturers can start testing and building their specific configuration for their hardware. This is also the stage where we will start to see new patches but not new builds, that only fixes Windows internal bugs and security flaws.

    All this has nothing to do with GA = General Availability, which is just a term when everybody has access to latest Windows version. This will happen much later than RTM. GA build is exactly the same as the RTM build, but it has already received a lot of patches. A new version of Windows will be released to the general public once it's declared stable enough for majority of users, including the non tech savvy ones. RTM is NOT stable enough for all users.
      My Computers

  10. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 3,112
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       #259

    slicendice said:
    RTM = Released to Manufacturing (or Ready to Manufacture, as I like to call it)

    IS a very relevant term which enables us to identify the build which is feature complete and has no time expiry:
    It is the base build (eg 15063.0 etc...) from where computer system manufacturers can start testing and building their specific configuration for their hardware. This is also the stage where we will start to see new patches but not new builds, that only fixes Windows internal bugs and security flaws.

    All this has nothing to do with GA = General Availability, which is just a term when everybody has access to latest Windows version. This will happen much later than RTM. GA build is exactly the same as the RTM build, but it has already received a lot of patches. A new version of Windows will be released to the general public once it's declared stable enough for majority of users, including the non tech savvy ones. RTM is NOT stable enough for all users.
    I like this differentiation. Very clear! Good Job!
      My Computer


 
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums