Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
  1.    30 Sep 2017 #221
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,451
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    I joined the Insider program right away too, because I didn't like Windows 7 that was on my laptop that much, and in my town at the time, there was no store that had Windows 8, so when I found out about 10 preview, I gave it a try, and it ran better than Win7 did. So I stuck with it, and now two more PC's later, I have it on all 3 machines, with the insider build on a VM, that has never been clean installed after the initial install, only upgraded build for build, and it runs great too.
    I started right away too although I jumped from W8.1 and first clean install was with AU. By that time it was all the way from W7 than W8 etc.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    30 Sep 2017 #222
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    USA
    Posts : 719
    Latest Insider Build

    I joined in Insider Program in Nov 1st of 2014 - been using Insider builds ever since - don't recall that last time I did a clean install - probably in Nov of '14 .


    I have my C:\ drive set into 2 partitions - 16299 on 1st - 17004 on 2nd - each OS is running on the same hardware in the same machine - BUT - 17004 seems to be quicker - the 2nd half of a M2 Samsung 960 Pro SSD must be faster than the 1st half - who'd a thunk it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 Sep 2017 #223
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,974
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    I joined in Insider Program in Nov 1st of 2014 - been using Insider builds ever since - don't recall that last time I did a clean install - probably in Nov of '14 .


    I have my C:\ drive set into 2 partitions - 16299 on 1st - 17004 on 2nd - each OS is running on the same hardware in the same machine - BUT - 17004 seems to be quicker - the 2nd half of a M2 Samsung 960 Pro SSD must be faster than the 1st half - who'd a thunk it.

    This has got nothing to do with the SSD!

    It is quite possible 17004 runs faster, or its settings are better optimisedetc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Sep 2017 #224
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    USA
    Posts : 719
    Latest Insider Build

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    This has got nothing to do with the SSD!
    It is quite possible 17004 runs faster, or its settings are better optimisedetc.
    I knew it had nothing to do with the SSD - I wanted to see if you knew that -

    17004 is an image of 16299 that was put on the SKIPPY ring with the reg tweak - settings are the same unless 17004 updated them. I think your statement "It is quite possible that 17004 runs faster" is the correct answer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 Sep 2017 #225
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,974
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    I knew it had nothing to do with the SSD - I wanted to see if you knew that -

    17004 is an image of 16299 that was put on the SKIPPY ring with the reg tweak - settings are the same unless 17004 updated them. I think your statement "It is quite possible that 17004 runs faster" is the correct answer.
    The 16299 build may have had some issues, that upgrading sorted.

    Only way of really telling is to see if it runs faster by doing a range of benchmarks against two clean installs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Sep 2017 #226
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 387
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 builds 17046.1000, 16299.64

    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    17004 is an image of 16299 that was put on the SKIPPY ring
    But with some new features, such as the "reveal" effect in the Start menu (which is causing some lag when opening the Start menu on devices with igpu and low hardware) and the color of emphasis in the texts of the Action Center and we do not know what other internal changes have been made.
    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    settings are the same unless 17004 updated them.
    I do believe that they updated them, a sign that they are making changes to the Settings is the problem that there is to access the storage options in build 17004.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    30 Sep 2017 #227
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    USA
    Posts : 719
    Latest Insider Build

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    Only way of really telling is to see if it runs faster by doing a range of benchmarks against two clean installs.
    I thought about this and decided it was too much effort.


    Quote Originally Posted by LEOPEVA64 View Post
    But with some new features, such as the "reveal" effect in the Start menu (which is causing some lag when opening the Start menu on devices with igpu and low hardware) and the color of emphasis in the texts of the Action Center and we do not know what other internal changes have been made.
    I do believe that they updated them, a sign that they are making changes to the Settings is the problem that there is to access the storage options in build 17004.
    I cannot access the storage setting in 17004, as you stated, and I'm still trying to figure out what the "reveal" deal is with the start menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Sep 2017 #228
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 387
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 builds 17046.1000, 16299.64

    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what the "reveal" deal is with the start menu.
    In the thread about build 17004 I put a gif, but it was not mine, these are mine, the effect is seen in the list of all applications and in the tiles:
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    30 Sep 2017 #229
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,649
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    The 16299 build may have had some issues, that upgrading sorted.

    Only way of really telling is to see if it runs faster by doing a range of benchmarks against two clean installs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    I thought about this and decided it was too much effort.




    I cannot access the storage setting in 17004, as you stated, and I'm still trying to figure out what the "reveal" deal is with the start menu.
    Just run winsat formal in the command prompt, and then upload a copy of the Formal.Assessment (Recent).WinSAT.XML found here: C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore to oneDrive(to have a copy to compare with when on the other OS partition).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	428.2 KB 
ID:	155788

    And then look at the scores here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	155789
    But you can glean even more info, by looking through the whole assessment.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    30 Sep 2017 #230
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,649
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Oh also perfmon /report can be helpful too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 16294 for PC
UPDATE 9/22: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 16296 for PC Insider - Windows 10 Forums 910700796425072640 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16294 for PC - Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Build Slow 16288 PC + Fast 15250 Mobile
909435508610129920 908813302481928192 907710903314931712 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16288 for PC Build 15250 for Mobile - Windows Experience Blog Update: Build 16288.1 - Recover a "Won't Boot" Surface Pro 3...
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 16281 for PC
Update Sept. 12th: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16288 PC 15250 Mobile Insider - Windows 10 Forums 903739865380020225 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to...
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 PC for Fast ring
883370827718172672 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC on Fast ring
784439136002375681 784446397466681344 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums