Best Buy halts sale of Kaspersky products amid Russian spying fears

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Best Buy halts sale of Kaspersky products amid Russian spying fears

    Best Buy halts sale of Kaspersky products amid Russian spying fears


    Posted: 09 Sep 2017
    Russia-based Kaspersky Labs has been in the news quite often lately. In July earlier this year, we reported that the US government was severing ties with the firm and removing its name from two lists of approved vendors, due to fears that it could - allegedly having ties to the Russian government through its founder Eugene Kaspersky - be hiding so-called backdoors within the software that could compromise national security.

    Even though the company offered to allow security analysts to audit its software solutions, this has done little to alleviate these fears, and subsequently, the FBI announced that it recommended that companies, in particular within the energy sector, remove these products from their mission-critical systems. It further specified that if any organization utilized Industrial Control (ICS) and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, that it recommended that other security solutions be used instead...


    Read more: Best Buy halts the sale of Kaspersky products amid Russian spying fears
    Brink's Avatar Posted By: Brink
    09 Sep 2017

  1. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,681
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #1

    Their loss, with all the advertising (news), Kaspersky products are going to be selling even better now.
      My Computer

  2. JohnBurns's Avatar
    Posts : 509
    Windows 10 Version 1909 (Build 18363.815
       #2

    TairikuOkami said:
    Their loss, with all the advertising (news), Kaspersky products are going to be selling even better now.
    Really? Not from my viewpoint.....I had purchased it recently, but uninstalled it. A matter of opinion, I guess!
      My Computer

  3. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,681
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #3

    Many people have never even heard about Kaspersky AV. Once they read, that US agencies like NASA and others refuse to get rid of it, because it is so good, even-though it was banned, they will buy it for sure.

    People will still use it though, because Kaspersky AV solutions are integrated in a range of routers, chip and software products from such household names as Cisco, Juniper, D-Link, Broadcom, Amazon and Microsoft.
      My Computer

  4. JohnBurns's Avatar
    Posts : 509
    Windows 10 Version 1909 (Build 18363.815
       #4

    ok ur probably right, but I don't trust the Russians at this point so it's my decision be it good or bad. I am not an expert by any means, I just know my own idiosyncrasies and I'll sleep better this way - lol
      My Computer

  5. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,561
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #5

    JohnBurns said:
    ok ur probably right, but I don't trust the Russians at this point so it's my decision be it good or bad. I am not an expert by any means, I just know my own idiosyncrasies and I'll sleep better this way - lol
    That's ok, I can understand your point.

    If I was a Russian I would drop America's Microsoft Windows 10, and use ROSA Linux

    And if I was Chinese I would use Ubuntu Kylin
    We wouldn't want the NSA or CIA to get our download & streaming information from Microsoft's servers, would we?
    Best Buy halts sale of Kaspersky products amid Russian spying fears-th_other_sarcasmmeter.gif
      My Computers

  6. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,328
       #6

    Cliff S said:
    That's ok, I can understand your point.

    If I was a Russian I would drop America's Microsoft Windows 10, and use ROSA Linux

    And if I was Chinese I would use Ubuntu Kylin
    We wouldn't want the NSA or CIA to get our download & streaming information from Microsoft's servers, would we?
    Best Buy halts sale of Kaspersky products amid Russian spying fears-th_other_sarcasmmeter.gif
    LOL Cliff ...

    I do hope this does not become political.. but I am keen on seeing an independent analysis of Kaspersky tho' (it's a good app) ...just to allay the fears if anything.
      My Computer

  7. larc919's Avatar
    Posts : 3,095
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #7

    I'm not afraid of Kaspersky as such. But I am afraid of what the Russian Government might do with their products, even if Kaspersky weren't a willing partner.
      My Computer

  8. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,681
    Windows Home Dev 21xxx x64
       #8

    larc919 said:
    But I am afraid of what the Russian Government might do with their products, even if Kaspersky weren't a willing partner.
    Indeed, just like US companies have to obey Patriot Act, thus give CIA an unconditional access to any data.
      My Computer

  9. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,328
       #9

    TairikuOkami said:
    Indeed, just like US companies have to obey Patriot Act, thus give CIA an unconditional access to any data.
    Would that not be part of the analysis? If in a non-Cloud environment, why would they have access to your data?
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums