Windows 10: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update coming October 17th 2017

Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
  1.    03 Nov 2017 #360

    Bree said: View Post
    Edit: There's a trick I've learned to look at the contents of a folder I am denied access to - copy it to somewhere else (often I find I have sufficient permissions to do that).
    I think you could also browse a Macrium image as well. Sometime that's quicker
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       04 Nov 2017 #361

    DaiB said: View Post
    My Windows phone shows normally in Explorer after FCU and I can access it. What on earth is a Microsoft Phone 'App'?
    It's the one that shows up as "Phone" on the Start Menu and seems to be shipped with official releases 1511 and earlier. I fixed mines as it was a permission error.

    It's this in the Microsoft Store except Store claims it is not for Desktop devices:
    Your request appears to be from an automated process
    Last edited by Almighty1; 04 Nov 2017 at 13:01.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       07 Nov 2017 #362

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    It's the one that shows up as "Phone" on the Start Menu and seems to be shipped with official releases 1511 and earlier. I fixed mines as it was a permission error.

    It's this in the Microsoft Store except Store claims it is not for Desktop devices:
    Your request appears to be from an automated process
    You're speaking of the UWP/Store MS Phone Companion app? I've had it since 8/8.1 and it works for me in FCU. The "automated process" you speak of is File Explorer will see it as a drive.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (32).png 
Views:	1 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	162589

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (33).png 
Views:	1 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	162590
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       07 Nov 2017 #363

    HippsieGypsie,

    No, I am referring to the app that shows up as "Phone" on the start menu and known as "Comms.Phone" for the actual app folder name which was fully covered by others on the last few pages also as shown below. As I said, it works fine now after I fixed the permissions to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so that I have full access to all the files. What you are referring to is "Phone Companion" on the Start Menu.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-11-07_10-09-31.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	162605
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-11-07_10-14-44.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Nov 2017 #364

    Saltgrass said: View Post
    I am not going to read 34 pages of responses, but the Fall Creator's update is playing nasty with a Dell Modern Standby system. It seems the ability to go into hibernation to save battery has been disabled.

    Also, for some reason, it comes back with Airplane mode enabled.

    I suppose no users with the Insider program had a Modern Standby system to test?????
    I got off of it as my PC would go to sleep but when I woke it up, it would restart. I reported this to The HUB many times.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       07 Nov 2017 #365

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    HippsieGypsie,

    No, I am referring to the app that shows up as "Phone" on the start menu and known as "Comms.Phone" for the actual app folder name which was fully covered by others on the last few pages also as shown below. As I said, it works fine now after I fixed the permissions to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps so that I have full access to all the files. What you are referring to is "Phone Companion" on the Start Menu.
    Haven't been keeping up much with this thread lately, so missed that. As I see it the MS Phone as you refer to is for mobile and hasn't ever shown up on my All Apps view on my PCs. Perhaps because I have a Windows phone.

    I see access is denied for that folder. Is that Comms.Phone you refer to called a Communications app where it allows you to answer test messages on your PC?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    07 Nov 2017 #366

    Hi,

    Is this the app you're talking about ?

    https://windows-phone-app-for-deskto...oftonic-review

    Didn't that come with some of the late IPs editions but has disappeared from the the final FCU ?

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       07 Nov 2017 #367

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,

    Is this the app you're talking about ?

    https://windows-phone-app-for-deskto...oftonic-review

    Didn't that come with some of the late IPs editions but has disappeared from the the final FCU ?

    Cheers,
    Thanks for that. That helps in sorting out what members a speaking of. Never knew MS developed a win32 desktop version of the app. Probably developed it for those that don't care for or use the UWP Store apps.

    As an Insider I never noticed anything besides the UWP version in my All Apps view. I cannot find the desktop version it in the Store neither. I always had the UWP version. If configured, it syncs everything to the PC.

    The Communications app I speak of is somewhat of a hidden app, which may be what Almighty1 is speaking of? Don't know. Showed up in CU I believe. It allows text messages to be answered (but not initiated) on the PC desktop. Very convenient I must say.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       07 Nov 2017 #368

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Haven't been keeping up much with this thread lately, so missed that. As I see it the MS Phone as you refer to is for mobile and hasn't ever shown up on my All Apps view on my PCs. Perhaps because I have a Windows phone.
    I see access is denied for that folder. Is that Comms.Phone you refer to called a Communications app where it allows you to answer test messages on your PC?
    The app is installed by default on builds 1511 and earlier but not with builds after 1511 so it seems like some people got to keep it when they upgrade and some people lost it when they upgrade. This mentions it:

    Windows 10 - Apps | Microsoft Docs

    I never really used it but I want to make sure all the default apps are working after doing a install or OS update like Fall Creators Update this this case.

    See the posts from #338 on this thread and you will see more information on it. I wonder why did they remove it though since according to the linked info, even Creators Update didn't come with it either as the last update was in June 2016.

    Access to that folder is always denied by default for some reason whenever a new build is installed and when Windows store or apps don't work, usually taking ownership and changing permissions so your current user has full access would fix the issue and if that still doesn't fix it, then just use Powershell to fix it after doing this as Powershell doesn't fix it unless this is changed.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-11-02_22-59-14.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	162614
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       08 Nov 2017 #369

    Does anyone here know the URL to get Microsoft Edge browser to show the Welcome to Fall Creators Update page?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Source: Build 2017: Sparking the next wave of creativity with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows Experience Blog
    Read more: Microsoft will call Windows 10's next update the 'Autumn Creators Update' in the UK | Windows Central Update: The Windows 10 Autumn Creators Update will be called 'Fall Creators Update' after all | Windows Central
    Source: What's new in Windows Defender ATP Fall Creators Update Windows Security
    Source: Windows 10 Creators Update coming April 11, Surface expands to more markets - Windows Experience Blog See also: Windows 10 Creators Update available through Media Creation Tool and Update Assistant - - Windows 10 Forums Managing...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:49.
    Find Us