Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Sep 2017 #91
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,021
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by 24c View Post
    This is what I get in Chrome
    Attachment 151372
    By clicking on Keep Dangerous File
    Attachment 151373

    Keep anyway allows the file to d/l to my machine
    Maybe my Chrome is set up differently, but this is what I get. And all goes well.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-09-01_08h28_49.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	533.8 KB 
ID:	151386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-09-01_08h30_01.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	151387
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    01 Sep 2017 #92
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,971
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Sorry to hear that but something is not running right in that laptop. My second desktop with Phenom II and super slow HDD (WD 750 Green, 5400Rpm) that I took out of main computer and where was to slow even as data disk, takes "only" 2.5Hrs not counting download. Maybe your problem is with disk usage %. Both, that HDD and SSD in this one run at or close to 100% usage during some stages of update. Higher the usage, faster it would perform.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Everything else works, without issues. HDD, CPU and GPU are 100% working. I have tested this in every possible way. A clean install in early December took 18 minutes to OOBE, then upgrading to last ESD builds less than hour when done directly after the clean install, about an hour when done later. Same numbers with each and every ESD build.

    My last clean install two weeks ago still took the same 18 minutes, but it took six hours to get to Restart now phase when upgrading to next Insider Skippy build after the clean install, build 16273. Yesterday's upgrade took just over five and a half hours, first over four hours to Restart now, then about 90 minutes for restart, the upgrade process itself.

    The fastest upgrade since December (start of UUP) has taken about four hours, the slowest ESD upgrade was about an hour and a half, usually just under an hour.

    Notice that upgrades now take about as long, around four five hours, on Hyper-V virtual machines on this host and about two three hours on VMware virtual machines. My Windows 10 tablet on same network also requires close to three hours for the upgrade.
    @CountMike, I decided to show that this really is UUP issue, not hardware issue.

    Only way to get ESD upgrade nowadays is to install version 1607 build 14393 or older and then upgrade. I installed W10 PRO build 14393 on this same laptop on an additional partition, and then let WU upgrade it to version 1703.

    The ESD upgrade process, from moment the upgrade was found to Restart now took 40 minutes, over three hours faster than the fastest feature / build upgrade using UUP to same point:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	151385

    It took then less than 40 minutes to restart and to get to upgraded desktop. Total time: just under an hour and 20 minutes, compared to my fastest UUP upgrade to desktop at about four and a half hours.

    I can repeat this at will anytime: slowest ESD upgrade: about an hour and a half. Fastest UUP upgrade: at least four and a half hours. Same hardware.

    Conclusion: No, it's not because of my hardware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    01 Sep 2017 #93
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    USA
    Posts : 715
    Latest Insider Build

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Maybe my Chrome is set up differently, but this is what I get. And all goes well.
    Interesting - now I'll have to look through the Chrome security settings
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    01 Sep 2017 #94
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,442
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    @CountMike, I decided to show that this really is UUP issue, not hardware issue.

    Only way to get ESD upgrade nowadays is to install version 1607 build 14393 or older and then upgrade. I installed W10 PRO build 14393 on this same laptop on an additional partition, and then let WU upgrade it to version 1703.

    The ESD upgrade process, from moment the upgrade was found to Restart now took 40 minutes, over three hours faster than the fastest feature / build upgrade using UUP to same point:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	151385

    It took then less than 40 minutes to restart and to get to upgraded desktop. Total time: just under an hour and 20 minutes, compared to my fastest UUP upgrade to desktop at about four and a half hours.

    I can repeat this at will anytime: slowest ESD upgrade: about an hour and a half. Fastest UUP upgrade: at least four and a half hours. Same hardware.

    Conclusion: No, it's not because of my hardware.
    There's no question that UUP is slower than ESD way but HW quality still makes difference.
    Same build not counting download:
    Computer1, (SSD) less than an hour, actually closer to half an hour.
    Computer 2, (Slow HDD) 2.5+ hrs.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    01 Sep 2017 #95
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,021
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    There's no question that UUP is slower than ESD way but HW quality still makes difference.
    Same build not counting download:
    Computer1, (SSD) less than an hour, actually closer to half an hour.
    Computer 2, (Slow HDD) 2.5+ hrs.
    And somehow (beats me), on a VM (VMWare), I just went from 16257 > 16353 in 13 minutes....soup to nuts!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    01 Sep 2017 #96
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 385
    WINDOWS 10 Pro x64 builds 17040.1000, 16299.64

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    And somehow (beats me), on a VM (VMWare), I just went from 16257 > 16353 in 13 minutes....soup to nuts!
    The whole process? including downloading?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    01 Sep 2017 #97
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,021
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by LEOPEVA64 View Post
    The whole process? including downloading?
    Yes, Sir! I can't explain it. Just zipped.................had 4 processors assigned on an SSD and 8GB mem. I had previously compressed (compacted) the VM before restarting it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    01 Sep 2017 #98
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,527
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I would like to leave feedback about this but as usual, Feedback Hub works in every other way except for Feedback. I can browse the announcements, check tasks and so on, but feedback itself is showing this since a few days:
    @Kari I just tried Feedback on my computer and it's working. I left a feedback about the latest Skip build taking over four hours to install. Like your computer my computer is running fine. What ever is causing it doesn't cause any other problems. It would be nice to track down the cause so we could try to fix it. So far this build is running great.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Sep 2017 #99
    Join Date : Jan 2017
    Turku
    Posts : 1,781
    Windows 10 Pro IP Build 16299.19 (Branch: RS3 Release)

    Took me about an hour to upgrade and Zip a backup of the UUP-files at maximum compression on Hyper-V with 4 cores and 4GB RAM. Compressing took about 20 minutes.

    On the host the same process took about 30 minutes longer, but I guess it is because I have VS2017 and Office365 installed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    01 Sep 2017 #100
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    UK
    Posts : 198
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit

    Long time Store issue.


    First time to upgrade (on Skip or Fast) that it actually took less than 2 hours. From start to desktop and OneDrive up to date took 1 hour 52 minutes. For me that was fast. Store now works but every time I try to uninstall Farcebook, Twitt and those godamn games apps installed by default it messed up the Store's ability to update any apps. So will leave them well alone for now.
    Last edited by Fabler2; 01 Sep 2017 at 10:55. Reason: Thick fingers and small keyboard.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast & Skip Build 16273 for PC
900402809685721088 900405174786695168 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16273 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099
687334185501999104 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11099 | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums