Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Fast Build 16257 PC + 15237 Mobile Insider

  1.    09 Aug 2017 #680

    Insider N Pro and Media Feature Pack


    I tried to install Media Feature Pack (for 15063) on a clean install of 16251 and it just refused to do it.

    Installing 15063 N now and that should install media pack, then I will upgrade to 16251 and hopefully mdia pack will still be ok.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,840
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2017 #681

    slicendice said: View Post
    @Kari Interesting, and the price is not that bad either if paying in USD instead of Euro
    This is really interesting service, and Microsoft is extremely generous in giving out trial licenses. Got 300 licenses (absurd, I know!). As they are tied to my existing O365 Enterprise tenant and my personal domains, I can't share them, though.

    Anyway, checking what is included in one license, the list is impressive:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	147965


    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Thanks for the wealth of information and information you bring here, Kari. :)
    Esteemed fellow geek Hippsie, I'm just a freak who loves testing. Thanks for the nice words, though :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 3,443
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 Build 17134.228 (Branch: RS4 Release Preview)
       09 Aug 2017 #682

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Not sure if you're aware. You must install the Store/UWP OneDrive app. It, of course, is not the same as the win32 program.
    Yes, I try to avoid Store apps a much as possible. While there is a win32-only version available, I stick to that. For the Client part, it should be exactly the same binaries, but the whole package is Signed by Windows Store, thus making it work on OS versions like Windows S. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,840
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2017 #683

    cereberus said: View Post
    I tried to install Media Feature Pack (for 15063) on a clean install of 16251 and it just refused to do it.

    Installing 15063 N now and that should install media pack, then I will upgrade to 16251 and hopefully mdia pack will still be ok.
    Use the script I posted to make your N install media full by adding the Media Feature Pack .msu file to it, then you have Media Features always included in clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Aug 2017 #684

    Kari said: View Post
    This is really interesting service, and Microsoft is extremely generous in giving out trial licenses. Got 300 licenses (absurd, I know!). As they are tied to my existing O365 Enterprise tenant and my personal domains, I can't share them, though.
    You need a lot of virtual machines - LOL
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Aug 2017 #685

    Kari said: View Post
    Use the script I posted to make your N install media full by adding the Media Feature Pack .msu file to it, then you have Media Features always included in clean install.
    I tried that with 16251 and it failed. I am going to try it with 15063 which should be fine.

    Only thing I do not know is if I upgrade to 16251, does MFP get wiped?

    What is a quick and easy way to test if it still works?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,840
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2017 #686

    cereberus said: View Post
    You need a lot of virtual machines - LOL
    I have several dozen virtual machines and native boot VHD files stored on NAS, exporting and importing them all the time bases on what I want to do and test. I will most probably only need a few, max 10 of these trial licenses so no need to create new virtual machines :)

    Anyway, trial expires late December, no time to assign all licenses before that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 37,567
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2017 #687

    Kari said: View Post
    Esteemed fellow geek Hippsie, I'm just a freak who loves testing. Thanks for the nice words, though :)
    You're welcome and I mean that. I don't have the knowledge nor the time to test. I'm glad that you do to share it here. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 14,840
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2017 #688

    cereberus said: View Post
    I tried that with 16251 and it failed. I am going to try it with 15063 which should be fine.

    Only thing I do not know is if I upgrade to 16251, does MFP get wiped?

    What is a quick and easy way to test if it still works?
    That confirms what I thought, that if you upgrade to Insider build before adding Media Features you can't add them later. Only reasonable way to start Insider builds in N editions is to install Media Features first, then upgrade.

    Media Features will be updated / upgraded if they are present. That's not an issue; adding the pack converts N to full edition, thereafter updates and upgrades treat it as if it were a totally normal Windows edition. Only the edition name in registry remains original, showing the N.

    You need to add the pack to 15063 N ISO or USB to get full installer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 37,567
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2017 #689

    slicendice said: View Post
    Yes, I try to avoid Store apps a much as possible. While there is a win32-only version available, I stick to that. For the Client part, it should be exactly the same binaries, but the whole package is Signed by Windows Store, thus making it work on OS versions like Windows S. :)
    I've been using Store apps since inception within W8. Everyone has their choice of course. Personally I find them more productive in that they work in conjunction with one another. Just as one small example; If I'm viewing a contact in People and I want to navigate to their address, I simply click/tap on a shortcut and Maps app opens. From there I click/tap and Navigation app opens. Just 2 clicks/taps and I'm set to go.

    Much safer too for they are wall-gardened.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
883370827718172672 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 for PC - Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
786612992179712000 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14946 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC: How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
784439136002375681 784446397466681344 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
UPDATE: July 15th 2016 754001939445219329 752986516746493952 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14388 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20.
Find Us